General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Total Time = 1h 11m 54s
Overall Rank = 19/107
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

Left the house about 4 AM. Ate a cliff bar on the way. Was very very nervous about my first! Tried to have a goal of just finishing and having fun (yeah right!)
Event warmup:

Found out I had an awesome transition spot right next to the bike exit. Was really excited that I had a good spot since I am Terrible w directions, especially under pressure. Well I should have Still practiced finding my spot, but that's for later in the story....

Had time to do a quick bike ride where I promptly ran over my sunglasses. They were rescued by some cops (thanks, guys!) I also ran about half a mile and jumped in the water for a quick swim. Water felt great!
Swim
  • 12m 45s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well I have nothing to really compare this to since it was my first "group" ows. The good news is that I allowed myself an estimated 12-13 minutes to complete, so I came under my goal there. The other good news is that can I lop off quite a bit of time next time by simply avoiding a few things.

1. Stopping to apologize everytime I make contact with someoone. Yes, doing this will slow you down, and no, noone else stopped to receive my apologies anyways.

2. Not being squeamish about contact with others and learning how to sight. I guess thats three things.

Anyways that leaves the bad news with the swim which is simply the fact that I could have swam a lot faster if I had just gone for it!
What would you do differently?:

See above
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

So I was feeling all hotshot about my fluid run up to the swim exit and quick transition. Grabbed my bike and decided to attempt the flying start, only to wobble out of bounds, cut off a bunch of people, and nearly fall. Sorry guys!

Practice the flying start more than twice.
Bike
  • 34m 21s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Ahh the bike. The bane of my new-triathlon-hobby existence. (besides the swim!) Actually I was pleasantly surprised that I wasn't terrible on the bike with so little biking experience.

After I recovered from my rocky start and got going I was a little unsure about how hard to push. I decided that a 3-3 breathing pattern was about right and kept up that steady effort the whole way.

This is definitely an area where I can make some real improvements with more training! I was really nervous about the drafting rules and getting too close to people. Everyone was really bunched up on the hills and I passed a ton of people here. Overall, I was pretty happy with my split I figured I would be able to do somewhere around 20 average.

get some more months of biking under my belt.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

This is where I lost about 10 places. Remember my wonderful rack position right beside the bike exit? Yeah, I couldn't find it. I ran my bike All the way to the other end of transition and frantically looked for my spot. Ended up losing a couple of minutes here. Again, the good news? An easy way to improve for next time. I saw one guy had a noodle taped to his spot. I seriously need to consider something like that.

I was a little bummed at this point bc I figured I had given up any chance of placing. Onwards and upwards though... to the fun part!
Run
  • 20m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

So I had wondered how biking and swimming would affect my running. I hoped I wouldn't be too much slower. I was only 31 secs off from my last open 5k run, which makes me think that I could destroy my old pr now.

I started out breathing pretty heavy ... like a 2-2 pattern which is a little harder than I like to Start a race. It didnt seem lie I could stay in the mid sixes And slow my breathing though so I just went with it.

Anways, I was frustrated after my transition so I decided to make a game out of how many people I could pass back. The heat and hills were harsh so everyone seemed to be going slow.

I counted through the mid thirties in terms of passes through the turnaround. I also got to see my hub going the other way to a fast finish as well as some other people from the tri club. I also passed our friend Brian (going the same way) and I tried to think of something clever to say but I was huffin and puffing too hard. I wanted to see if I could pass at least 50 people.

I was on number 62 coming into the last 500 yards. I could see one more girl ahead of me that I had a chance of passing so I tried to pick it up and passed her and another guy in the process. I heard her friends yelling for her and when I passed her someone said "you gotta stay with her!" I was afraid she was just on my shoulder so I was able to muster up a serious sprint to the finish with 64 total passes!

Nothing really. I was happy that I can run off the bike since I've only tried it once and it doesn't reduce me to a walk!
Post race
Warm down:

Had water, hung out with some other people from the tri club

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience and training. My husband and I got this crazy training bug and started biking and swimming at the beginning of this year! I think we can get a lot better with some more training. Anyways, its a lot of fun and thats what matters, right? I was more happy than anything that we *finally* did our first one!

Event comments:

I would definitely love to do this one again next year. Its close and the park is really beautiful.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:45 | 656 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/
Overall: 29/107
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Semi-circle around some buoys
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:21 | 11.2 miles | 19.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 26/107
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Lots of rollers. It was really really fun going almost 40 downhill!!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:20:32 | 03.1 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/107
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2009-04-26 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2111008

User image

Smyrna
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park
Great race!  Once you iron out some of the small kinks you had you're gonna be tough to beat!  It was fun doing our first tri together...I'm ready for the next one already!
2009-04-26 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

ah, you will never forget your first!  Great job on the run...you were very speedy with picking off 65 people.  I was more than likely one of those people by the way.  Glad I could contribute to your body count.  If you can run like that at the end of a OLY, HIM or IM, then you are in the right sport.  I have much funnier stories from my first season on "lost in transition".  I think it is a right of passage.    

If you think about it, PM me about that breathing pattern thing you wrote about in your running.  Since running is my weakness, I am always looking for input. 

Sorry we did not get a chance to say hello.  Maybe PIT.  Good luck with the season.

2009-04-26 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
What a great race! The scary thing is you'll only get faster as you fine tune your racing.

2009-04-27 10:24 AM

User image

Atlanta, GA

What a great race for your first time! Damn, you're a fast runner. Nice job!  Loved the effort at the end...nothing like out sprinting someone to the finish line. 

2009-04-28 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Holy Crap, that was your first race? Solid effort!! You came off the bike like a rocket.

Well done.

Once you iron out the details, you are going to be extremley hard to beat. Hell, you are hard to beat with that time now. Congrats!

First race, and one spot out from taking an AG spot.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed