General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 32s
Overall Rank = 251/472
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 35/52
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:20 (only got about 4 hours of sleep). Met my bro and headed to Carrollton. Ate a banana and gatorade on the way. Got to the race at 6 am. Got a good parking spot right next to transition. Got body marked and set up transition. Had a clif bar and gatorade an hour before the race and a GU Roctaine about 20 minutes before the race.
Event warmup:

Got in the water to see how cold it was, b/c I don't have a wetsuit. Water temp was fine.
Swim
  • 13m 33s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

Only my 2nd tri. I didn't like the wave start. I like the 2 at a time time trial start much better. First 100 meters or so was bad b/c of so many people around. Had a hard time sighting and swimming in a straight line. Goal was a 12 minute swim. Even though i was out of the water at about 12:45, transition took about 45 seconds to get to from the water.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Transition set up was right next to mounting area, so this made it easier.
Bike
  • 35m 35s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 18.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Since this was a warm up for Turtle Crawl Olympic Tri (which is flat) I have only been training on flats. Small hill on 1st mile, could only get up to about 14 mph. My goal was to avg 19 mph, so I thought I was gonna be way below. Soon as the first down hill came along I was able to get to 30-32 mph, so I felt better. Finished bike at just under goal, so wasn't too disappointed.

Train on hills a little bit more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Rack was right next to dismount, so it was easy to find. I couldn't find my visor. Took about 10 seconds extra to look for it, couldn't find it, so just left it behind. Took some GU then headed for the run.
Run
  • 28m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, since I am training for Turtle Crawl which has no hills on the bike or run, I have not been training at all on hills. Running is not my strong point, throw in some hills and I'm pretty slow. My goal for the tri was 1:20, so felt pretty good about this going into the run. As soon as I hit the first hill I knew I may not make my goal anymore. I was still running/jogging, but going at a brisk walk pace up the hills. I think I did the last mile in over 10 minutes.

Train on hills more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water/heed. Ate bagel and 2 bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on hills

Event comments:

Challenging for a Sprint. Only my second tri so only can compare to Peachtree City Sprint, which was a little easier (especially the run). Goal was 1:20, so only came 32 seconds short, so overall pretty satisfied.

Last updated: 2008-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:33 | 600 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/52
Overall: 0/472
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit, Just team singlet (or unitard)
Course: 2 buoys, swim around counter clock wise. Wade start by age group
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:35 | 11.2 miles | 18.89 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Course had rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:42 | 03.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 1st mile was pretty flat, 2nd and 3rd miles had some pretty serious rolling hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 3:15 PM

Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2009-04-27 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2111126

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

Good start of the season!  For your second tri, you did really well.  I had the same run experence when I started.  the more endurance you gain, the better it gets.  Maybe add some bricks?  All in all, great day and good luck with the season.

2009-04-27 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2112439

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Good job on your second tri.  I am doing Turtle Crawl too.  I did it last year and it is a great race.

You should check out our tri club North Atlanta Mulitsports.  We meet at Roswell Area Park and we do a lot of bike riding together.

2009-04-27 9:20 PM
in reply to: #2112618

Thanks.  Yeah I read your report on Turtle Crawl from last year with the fish (not sharks).  Great stuff.  We just started a Tri club with our company this year- Jackson Healthcare. Steve McKie headed it up.  We had 5 at Tanner and should have about 15 at Turtle Crawl.

Edited by cjackson 2009-04-27 9:42 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed