Hostelling International, MN council
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I struggled getting out of bed. It was overcast and I knew it was going to rain. This did not motivate me to want to ride. But, I told myself that I needed to get up and ride at least 30 miles. After that, I got dressed, washed up and headed out the door. I ate a banana, a granola bar, and stopped for a tall skinny latte. Espresso has less caffeine than regular coffee, so I got a little jolt (I only drank half).

My attire was: long-sleeved jersey, arm socks, bike tights, chami (normally I don't ride with one), full-coverage tank bra, wool blend socks, full bike gloves, and wind-breaker. What I forgot for the ride was my toe covers. This was a critical error.
Event warmup:

My warm up was riding my bike to the start.
Bike
  • 3h 00m
  • 30 miles
  • 10.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Biking in a storm sucks. I decided to ride the 30 mile route instead of the 65/100. I actually didn't want to do it, but the 65/100 route started at a different point. So it was either commit at the start to the 65/100 route, or just do 30. Since it was cold and going to rain, and I also had no idea how I would perform in these conditions, I did the 30. It was a good choice in hindsight, mainly because I left my toe covers in the car.

At around the 5 mile mark, a thunderstorm hit. The rest stop wasn't until mile 9. I was soaking wet when I got there. I also could barely move my feet they were so cold. I spent too long at the rest stop and started to shiver. I got warmer when I went back out, but my feet and hands were cold. How could they not be, they were in wet socks and gloves? You just can't dry off when it's cold and still raining. Had I worn my toe covers, the rain would have stayed out of my shoes more. And if I had better, warmer gloves, I would have felt better.

The middle phase was hard. I was cold. I made it through and made a quick stop at the 2nd rest stop. The last segment was better because of it. I didn't need to warm up so much and was able to start riding at a good pace right away.

A few things about the ride:

1. Puddles obscure potholes. I went over one and thought the seat was going to go up my...well, you get the idea.
2. Turns in a downpour are scary. I didn't know how the bike would handle. It did well. The rider, not so much.
3. I think a lot about riding while biking. Each time something would happen, I would write about it in my head.
4. You can't blink the water off your sunglasses. And, sunglasses are dark on overcast days. I took off my shades when the deluge hit and stuffed them in my windbreaker. I was very grateful the my helmet had a visor. It kept the rain off my face. I've often wondered what the benefit of that little piece of plastic was. Now I know. It probably keeps the wind out of my eyes, too. I love that thing!
What would you do differently?:

I would do the following differently:

1. Get warmer foot and hand wear. If I had both, I would have made it more comfortably. I also would have ventured out on the 65 mile route. Knowing that my hands and feet would be cold was the main reason for my hesitation.

2. Get a professional fitting. My feet and hands went numb after a short while. I also had pain in my upper back. My bike needs some adjustment.

3. Pack all my stuff for the ride in the right bag. I put the toe covers in the wrong one and suffered for it.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down? No, warm-up! I was freezing cold. I had to change my clothes in the car because I was too far away from the finish to change there. I had to strip in the car, which was a bit of a challenge in soaking wet clothes and without exposing myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather and my gear.

Last updated: 2009-04-13 12:00 AM
Biking
03:00:00 | 30 miles | 10.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-26 6:56 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride

2009-04-26 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2111428

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride

You are way tougher than me.  Way to persevere on a truly horrible day for a ride.

2009-04-27 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2111542

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride

Good job!  I really, really, really wished I had done the 30 mile route...  I only ended up doing 35 anyway, but was stuck waiting for a ride!  The water in the shoe is EVIL.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Minnesota Ironman Bike Ride Rss Feed