Sullivan Civic Center
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 22s
Overall Rank = 95/261
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/28
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4 a.m. Pat picked me up around 5:20 - met the Kinsey's and on the road around 5:30 a.m. - had Oatmeal To Go Bar, Banana, Coffee and water for breakfast
Event warmup:

Walked around - set-up transition and watch Becca Kinsey in the Youth Tri - pretty awesome to see all those kids Tri - ing!
Swim
  • 10m 5s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt comfortable in the water, breathing, strokes...............all even and smooth. Was confident going into the swim with the time I put into the pool early this season - LOTS more work to do though
What would you do differently?:

Extremely disappointed in my swim time considering the time that I put in - but pleased with how well/comfortable I felt in the water. That is a HUGE step for me! Maybe I was a little too comfortable/smooth? I really didn't push on the swim thinking about facing that WINDY bike coming up - stop worrying about conserving energy and just let it rip! Trust the training time put in.
Transition 1
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Pretty good T1 for me - didn't struggle too much with putting the Garmin on - that prob cost me 5-6 secs, so, I would have been sub 1 min.

Not sure yet - still working out the transition kinks............there is an art to it, I'm sure. I'm just not a very good artist! lol
Bike
  • 48m 14s
  • 13.4 miles
  • 16.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Again................extremely disappointed with my lack of effort here. I am faster/stonger than this and not sure why I chose to "leave it on the table" so to speak. Thinking again I was in the mode of conserving more than pushing due to the conditions and being concerned I wouldn't have anything left for the run.

First thing - probably would remove the disc on the rear - was a liablity for me - not strong enough at this point to handle the wind and a parachute! Secondly...................freakin push and stop worrying - let my training do the talking!
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Again - work in progress here, but about the only thing I did right all day. haha Dismounted while leaving my shoes clipped in - that was kinda cool! I looked like I knew what I was doing. haha

Again, no sure - just get a little more efficient, I guess.
Run
  • 28m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

ehh - 9:18 is about the pace I do my training runs at for distance - my 5k pace is around 8:30 min, so after the bike - about what I expected. Not sure I'll ever be a "fast" runner - just striving to be "faster" at this point!

again................maybe push a little more. Tank was not on "E" at the finish. I lost my time on swim and bike................no question.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around - waited for Monica to come in on the bike, so I missed Bob and Nick's finish :o( Tore down transition - at Subway, had a soda and water. Cheered in other competitors and Monica on the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

POOR RACE STRETEGY! plain and simple!

Event comments:

Great race - just wish I could have put on a better showing. Gives me a reason to come back next year! Well, would have come back regardless! haha

Last updated: 2009-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:05 | 440 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/28
Overall: 132/261
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Serpetine - Pool swim
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:48:14 | 13.4 miles | 16.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/28
Overall: 74/261
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Absolutely one of the most challenging bike rides I have EVER done - casually or competitively. 40+ mph cross-wind gusts - 25 mph headwind in a couple spots - got relief only on about a 1/2 mi stretch of rode (twice).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:51 | 03.1 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/28
Overall: 106/261
Performance: Average
Course: Hard to describe - park run on some crushed gravel and some paved - a few inclines - warm - some cross-wind, a little tail and headwind to finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 11:51 AM

User image

Subject: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon

2009-04-27 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2112995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon
You done good.  This was your first race on that bike, correct?  3rd tri?  Let's go tear up Indy this weekend!!!
2009-04-27 3:06 PM

User image

Ya.............I know. Like I said..............I keep telling myself these things, but just striving to do better. Prob. harder on myself than I should be, but don't see that changin! haha Time to turn the page and move on to Indy - looks like the weather will be great for the long run. Told D that it will be great for running and suck for waiting! haha
2009-04-27 3:51 PM

User image

Terre Haute
Good job on just getting through that one!  I'd say you are more of an artist that I am with transitions, I still have stick figures Tongue out
2009-04-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2113715

User image

Thanks Big Man!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon Rss Feed