BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-09-02 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2384101

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed
njacobs24 - 2009-09-01 10:35 PMMy race is September 20th.  It still seems far away but I know it will be here soon!

Yesterday I beat my best 3 mile time by 36 seconds!  Yay!
Wow - less than three weeks! That is awesome on the PR. That is great! How have you been doing as far as training? How often, etc.? And do you feel pretty good right now or are you feeling anxious about anything in particular? And how about the course? Is it hilly or ? Jesse

2009-09-02 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2383525

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-09-01 4:15 PMNikki - good luck with your race. When is it?

Jesse - Just wanted to tell you that today I ran 6.2 miles. Smile This is my longest run so far (maybe ever). I felt good, but my hip flexer was a little tight and still is. My quads are burning too. But I felt like I could keep running. I am very happy about this since my next race is 5 miles. Over the past few month just couldn't run over 4.5 - maybe it was the hot weather. The humidity finally broke and the weather has been pretty cool in the 70's (New England fall weather) perfect for running.
Michelle - have you been doing any interval training in any of the sports - tell me a little about it if so? I believe you mentioned swimming a bit but wasn't sure how often or what you have been doing exactly - same for R and B.Jesse
2009-09-02 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2385669

User image

Regular
Boston
Thanks Jesse! I have been doing interval swims. Unfortunately I only get to the pool once a week but my last time there I worked pretty hard - did a warmup and the 8X 50M 15SR5X100M about 30 SRI plan to keep building on this. As for runs, I've done a few interval sessions with a few minutes hard and a few min at moderate pace. For a while I have been focusing on my distance. I definitely will get back to intervals for my runs. As for biking - most of my biking is done in spinning class - we had a true interval class a few weeks back but most of my classes have been at climbing pace and then we back down to lower tension sprinting pace. So I guess you coukd say it's much like interval workouts. They work us hard in those classes! Spinning has def improved my biking! When I get out on the road I do portions of go as fast as I can.Thanks for the advice.
2009-09-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: #2385950

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-09-02 6:01 PM Thanks Jesse! I have been doing interval swims. Unfortunately I only get to the pool once a week but my last time there I worked pretty hard - did a warmup and the 8X 50M 15SR5X100M about 30 SRI plan to keep building on this. As for runs, I've done a few interval sessions with a few minutes hard and a few min at moderate pace. For a while I have been focusing on my distance. I definitely will get back to intervals for my runs. As for biking - most of my biking is done in spinning class - we had a true interval class a few weeks back but most of my classes have been at climbing pace and then we back down to lower tension sprinting pace. So I guess you coukd say it's much like interval workouts. They work us hard in those classes! Spinning has def improved my biking! When I get out on the road I do portions of go as fast as I can.Thanks for the advice.

That is a great swim.  I am doing something very similar right now.  I am really down to about 2 swims a week.  Sometimes 3.   And I'll only do 2 swims a week until sometime in January.  I'll do one long hard swim with lots of intervals.  I just did it for the first time yesterday and it went great.  I did 3000m with 8 x 50, 8 x 100, and then a some other drills, exercises, etc.  Then I'll do one steady 1500 - 2000m swim where I just focus on form.   When i start IM training I am going to really get focused on getting my swim better.

As far as intervals they certainly aren't needed in running at the point you are at.  They won't necessary hurt - but you probably just want to stick to runs in your aerobic zone and get in as many as you can right now.  Biking is where you'll see a great advantage - and it sounds like the class you are doing helps.

Jesse 
2009-09-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2113192

User image

New user
Madison, WI

I haven't been training nearly as much as I should be, of course.  August was probably the worst in terms of my laziness when that's when I should've been working the hardest.  I have actually been biking more than my training logs show, just because biking is my main form of transportation.  The biking portion of the course is very, very hilly with some very steep hills.  I'm practically going either 5 MPH or 25 MPH the whole time.  At this point I'm nervous about two things: having to get off my bike and walk up the hills or drowning (another woman drowned around here a couple of weeks ago!).  I'm pretty confident neither of those things are going to happen.  And I'm a little worried about doing something really embarassing, like getting on the wrong bike or getting lost on the course or splitting my shorts open or something ridiculous like that.  What can I say, I've got a good imagination.

Honestly, though, I'm feeling good about where I'm at right now.  It could be better, but I'll still be able to finish the race, which is my only goal.  

--
Nikki 

2009-09-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2387065

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-09-03 10:08 AM

I haven't been training nearly as much as I should be, of course.  August was probably the worst in terms of my laziness when that's when I should've been working the hardest.  I have actually been biking more than my training logs show, just because biking is my main form of transportation.  The biking portion of the course is very, very hilly with some very steep hills.  I'm practically going either 5 MPH or 25 MPH the whole time.  At this point I'm nervous about two things: having to get off my bike and walk up the hills or drowning (another woman drowned around here a couple of weeks ago!).  I'm pretty confident neither of those things are going to happen.  And I'm a little worried about doing something really embarassing, like getting on the wrong bike or getting lost on the course or splitting my shorts open or something ridiculous like that.  What can I say, I've got a good imagination.

Honestly, though, I'm feeling good about where I'm at right now.  It could be better, but I'll still be able to finish the race, which is my only goal.  

--
Nikki 

Nikki - 

If it makes you feel better almost everyone is going to be worried about doing silly things.  I must admit splitting your shorts would be embarrasing - but that won't happen

I would take your bike to some hills and do some practicing.  Just put the bike in your easiest gear and pedal fast.  I would also try some different hills where you are sitting down on the seat vs. standing up.  I tend to do better standing up on my bike where I know others that sit down and find that easier.

Get out in that open water a few more times - REALLY!!!  You want to get out there as much as you can.  Here are my race day tips for you (probably a reiteration).  

1)  Focus on breathing out under the water and breathing in when you turn to the side.  I know this sounds simple but you may forget to breathe properly during the race.  I did!  So, just focus on a few things and that is one of them.   The other one is to just try and stay as relaxed as possible even if there is commotion around you.

2) Because you aren't going for time take your time in transitions.  Take a minute or two between sports and just catch your breathe + sip on your drink, etc. 

3) Keep it simple... the less stuff you bring with you the easier everything will be.  For example, try to where the same thing for the SBR (no clothing changes).  Bring a small towel to wipe your feet and not a HUGE one.  Don't bring everything in your transition bag - like tools and extra this or that.  Just keep it simple so you have less to worry about.  

Jesse

2009-09-14 8:57 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
I volunteered at Ironman all day yesterday (well, at least until the Packer game started).  It was so incredible and inspirational!  Very cool experience and I'm very glad I went to watch it.  I mean, if these people can do all that, I can definitely handle my little mini tri. 

Less than a week to go!

--
Nikki
2009-09-14 9:22 AM

User image

Regular
Boston

I ran the 5 mile race on Saturday - it was raining pretty hard before the race started and slowed down some for the start. Needless to say, I was soaked! Laughing I was pretty happy with my time. 44.08 minutes. (8.50 min/mile) I took off 5+ minutes of my last 5 mile run (which I did last yr in Oct, but I was pushing a jogging stroller for that one.) I wasn't sure how I was going to do. I had trained 5 days straight without any time off - did spin Thurs and Friday. My legs were a very tired and my hip flexer was very tight. Better now since I took yesterday off. I have no doubt that I can do better.

I have my sprint tri this weekend on Sat. Hoping the weather holds out! - It's suppose  to rain again. Yell 

We are also thinking of signing up for a 10K the weekend after. And maybe another 5 mile the weekend after that.

Nikki - good luck with your race! Sounds like you had a good experience this weekend. It's good to have an idea of what to expect! You will do great!

2009-09-14 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2404703

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-09-14 8:57 AM I volunteered at Ironman all day yesterday (well, at least until the Packer game started).  It was so incredible and inspirational!  Very cool experience and I'm very glad I went to watch it.  I mean, if these people can do all that, I can definitely handle my little mini tri. 

Less than a week to go!

--
Nikki

Awesome!  I've never seen a full IM up close.  You probably see the full spectrum of athletes in a race like that.  I would imagine that would be very inspiring.  Good luck with the race.  Just stay positive  
2009-09-14 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2404758

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-09-14 9:22 AM

I ran the 5 mile race on Saturday - it was raining pretty hard before the race started and slowed down some for the start. Needless to say, I was soaked! Laughing I was pretty happy with my time. 44.08 minutes. (8.50 min/mile) I took off 5+ minutes of my last 5 mile run (which I did last yr in Oct, but I was pushing a jogging stroller for that one.) I wasn't sure how I was going to do. I had trained 5 days straight without any time off - did spin Thurs and Friday. My legs were a very tired and my hip flexer was very tight. Better now since I took yesterday off. I have no doubt that I can do better.

I have my sprint tri this weekend on Sat. Hoping the weather holds out! - It's suppose  to rain again. Yell 

We are also thinking of signing up for a 10K the weekend after. And maybe another 5 mile the weekend after that.

Nikki - good luck with your race! Sounds like you had a good experience this weekend. It's good to have an idea of what to expect! You will do great!

That is really good - to do under 9 min miles for 5 is great!  You're definitely getting fast. 

Shoot, maybe a little rain for your tri will be good - or at least overcast to keep it cool.   
2009-09-16 10:38 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Yesterday I ran all of my last minute errands and I now have everything I need for Sunday.  I started feeling nervous right when I was leaving the running store with my bag of gear.  Last night I swam in my tri shorts and top for the first time.  It felt a little weird, but it definitely worked out fine.  The race director sent us an email today and he said that the water is so shallow this year that we'll be able to touch the bottom.  So that makes me feel a little better, too.  I will definitely not drown!  And I got my bike tuned up and it rides so nice and smooth now!  I'm ready to cut right through those hills!

I am having really ridiculous nightmares, though.  Last night I dreamt that the swim started in a lake around here, and then went through a sewer.  And then I got confused at the transition and thought we had to drive to a different city to get to the bike course and I had a T1 time of 2 hours!  Talk about anxiety dreams. 

--
Nikki

2009-09-17 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2409522

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-09-16 10:38 AM Yesterday I ran all of my last minute errands and I now have everything I need for Sunday.  I started feeling nervous right when I was leaving the running store with my bag of gear.  Last night I swam in my tri shorts and top for the first time.  It felt a little weird, but it definitely worked out fine.  The race director sent us an email today and he said that the water is so shallow this year that we'll be able to touch the bottom.  So that makes me feel a little better, too.  I will definitely not drown!  And I got my bike tuned up and it rides so nice and smooth now!  I'm ready to cut right through those hills!

I am having really ridiculous nightmares, though.  Last night I dreamt that the swim started in a lake around here, and then went through a sewer.  And then I got confused at the transition and thought we had to drive to a different city to get to the bike course and I had a T1 time of 2 hours!  Talk about anxiety dreams. 

--
Nikki

Nikki - you'll do great!  I think the lake being shallow is a good thing.  But definitely try not to stand up because you never really know if it is shallow.  Meaning, that there may be pockets where you can't stand up and you'll try to and that won't be good   So, just stay relaxed in the water - focus on proper breathing and you'll do good.

Have fun and kick buck!

Jesse

2009-09-21 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
Boston
Nikki - How'd your race go?

I had my last tri on Sat and overall it went well. I cut down time in all events and transitions compared to my last tri. My overall time: 1:27:46 and came in 309 out 440 and 24 out of 44 in my AG.

1/4 S - 7:59     
T1: 2:38
11 mile bike - 47:16
T2: 1:02
3 miles - 28:50

It was pretty cold to start about 50 degrees out but sunny. I was not mentally ready for this race. We had a lot of time to set up since we got there early. The RD's said there was limited parking so we were there 2 hrs early. Signed in, body marked set up, stretched. I had a power bar an hour before the race. The swim started on the beach and we had to run into the water which was different than my last one. The first 100M didn't start well. I was the last wave and it was pretty wavy out there. Took me a little to get use to that, get my breathing right and get into a rhythm. I finished stronger. My T1 time was down since last time but could have been better if I didn't have to put on a long sleeve shirt. I knew the bike portion was going to be hard. We had done the route a few weeks ago and then 2 days later they changed to route. It was much harder than my last tri lots of hills. I really need to some strength training for my legs - there were several times where I thought I was just going to stop. Thank God I had the new road bike. Which I should have gotten adjusted but didn't. The end of the bike route was very confusing. The race was at a state park and you have to go back thru the entrance, but the run portion goes thru that same entrance out and back. So we had to go pretty slow b/c there were bikers on the left, and runners coming in and out on the right.  At times the area narrowed and we were a little uncertain of where to go. T2 went pretty smooth. I was most impressed with my time on the run. I cut down 1:07/mile compared to my last race. This was a pretty tough run course. Very hilly. My feet were numb for the first 2 miles of the race. I finished pretty strong. I was so glad when it was over! I did a lot of stretching and resting after. Sunday I felt pretty good so I went running. I did 7 miles. I ran from my house to the 10K route for the race next weekend.
2009-09-21 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2417241

User image

Regular
mstone11 - 2009-09-21 8:44 AM Nikki - How'd your race go?

I had my last tri on Sat and overall it went well. I cut down time in all events and transitions compared to my last tri. My overall time: 1:27:46 and came in 309 out 440 and 24 out of 44 in my AG.

1/4 S - 7:59     
T1: 2:38
11 mile bike - 47:16
T2: 1:02
3 miles - 28:50

It was pretty cold to start about 50 degrees out but sunny. I was not mentally ready for this race. We had a lot of time to set up since we got there early. The RD's said there was limited parking so we were there 2 hrs early. Signed in, body marked set up, stretched. I had a power bar an hour before the race. The swim started on the beach and we had to run into the water which was different than my last one. The first 100M didn't start well. I was the last wave and it was pretty wavy out there. Took me a little to get use to that, get my breathing right and get into a rhythm. I finished stronger. My T1 time was down since last time but could have been better if I didn't have to put on a long sleeve shirt. I knew the bike portion was going to be hard. We had done the route a few weeks ago and then 2 days later they changed to route. It was much harder than my last tri lots of hills. I really need to some strength training for my legs - there were several times where I thought I was just going to stop. Thank God I had the new road bike. Which I should have gotten adjusted but didn't. The end of the bike route was very confusing. The race was at a state park and you have to go back thru the entrance, but the run portion goes thru that same entrance out and back. So we had to go pretty slow b/c there were bikers on the left, and runners coming in and out on the right.  At times the area narrowed and we were a little uncertain of where to go. T2 went pretty smooth. I was most impressed with my time on the run. I cut down 1:07/mile compared to my last race. This was a pretty tough run course. Very hilly. My feet were numb for the first 2 miles of the race. I finished pretty strong. I was so glad when it was over! I did a lot of stretching and resting after. Sunday I felt pretty good so I went running. I did 7 miles. I ran from my house to the 10K route for the race next weekend.

Overall, considering what it sounds like you went through - you did great!

It sounds like you feel like I do after every race = Glad I did, a little disappointed with times, lots of areas to improve, etc, etc...  I think that is a good thing.  You are pretty motivated and I'm sure you'll keep on trying to improve everything.

Yeah, you should be proud of your run considering how tough the other two events were.  That has a big effect on your run and you really did well.  

I don't race a lot but there is something to be said for it.  People that race a lot get to experience good water, bad water, running starts, in-water starts, good/bad transition areas, hilly courses, flat courses, etc.   I really need to race a lot more!   Maybe that could be your goal next year - "to race in 5, 6, 7 races."

Swim - sounds like that swim probably took your breath away a little.  I mean that literally.  You had to run into cold water and that make it really hard to breathe.   That is probably why you had a more difficult time early on and then caught your breath.  Also, going one of the last waves means that there are more people around you.   Your time was pretty good considering.

FUNNY - your longest run and it was the day after your tri!!!  

I think it is time that you signed up for a 1/2 marathon???

Jesse

Jesse

2009-09-21 11:06 AM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
My first race was good!  I was very slow, but I am okay with that, since I just wanted to finish with a smile on my face and I definitely did that!

Overall time 2:03:15.
Swim 10:11
T1 3:02
Bike 1:20:35
T2 1:21
Run 28:08

52/73 Age Group
552/620 Overall

We had to get up at 5 on Sunday morning.  I didn't feel too nervous at that point.  They had special divisons for first time males and first time females.  I thought we were going at the end, but at registration I found out I was in wave 3.  They put a big gap between us and everyone else, but it was still a little surprising.  Right when I stepped on the beach, my heart rate leapt way up and I got really nervous.  If I was wearing a heart monitor, it probably would have exploded.  I got through the swim okay, but my breathing kept getting messed up and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air.  Whenever I got freaked out I switched to the breast stroke until I calmed down and then I went back to free style.  My time was right about what I was expecting.

The first transition went really well.  I had everything set up the way my book recommended and I didn't get confused or anything.  Drying off my feet and putting shoes and socks on took a while, but other than that it was speedy.

The bike portion was really, really tough, so I just took it one hill at a time.  That very first steep hill, I almost made it all the way up without getting off the bike, but then it got even steeper around the corner and I realized I could walk faster than I was biking, so I hopped off my bike.  Pretty much all the novices did, it was actually kind of funny.  At the time I was frustrated about it, but looking back, it wasn't really that big of a deal.  I didn't have to walk up any of the other hills like some other people did.

Second transition was easy, just had to take off my helmet and gloves and put on my race belt.  My "cheer section," made up of my boyfriend, mom, mom's boyfriend, 3 friends and two of their parents, actually slowed me down a bit since I was laughing so hard at their cheering.  My ridiculous artist friend kept yelling, "Yeah, take that helmet off, take it all off!" and then when I had to put the race belt on, she was yelling, "Put it back on!"  She also made a sign that said "Go Nikki Go" on one side, and the other side said, "She's sexy, she's tricky, she'll be on you like a hickey."  It was so ridiculous that I couldn't stop laughing the entire transition.

I came out of T2 way too fast, since I was so pumped up after seeing my cheer section.  I realized it pretty early, though, and then slowed down to a pace where I'd be able to finish.  The run wasn't nearly as flat as people had told me it was and I was really f*ing tired at that point, but I got through it.  And my calves were so tired!  That had never happened before.  We had been messing around with my saddle before the race started, and my boyfriend thinks maybe we put it too high.

In any case, I was very happy with myself for finishing such a tough race.  There were a couple of times during the bike that I thought I wouldn't be able to finish.  I definitely want to do better next year, though.  Laughing   

--
Nikki

2009-09-21 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2417612

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-09-21 11:06 AM My first race was good!  I was very slow, but I am okay with that, since I just wanted to finish with a smile on my face and I definitely did that!

Overall time 2:03:15.
Swim 10:11
T1 3:02
Bike 1:20:35
T2 1:21
Run 28:08

52/73 Age Group
552/620 Overall

We had to get up at 5 on Sunday morning.  I didn't feel too nervous at that point.  They had special divisons for first time males and first time females.  I thought we were going at the end, but at registration I found out I was in wave 3.  They put a big gap between us and everyone else, but it was still a little surprising.  Right when I stepped on the beach, my heart rate leapt way up and I got really nervous.  If I was wearing a heart monitor, it probably would have exploded.  I got through the swim okay, but my breathing kept getting messed up and I felt like I wasn't getting enough air.  Whenever I got freaked out I switched to the breast stroke until I calmed down and then I went back to free style.  My time was right about what I was expecting.

The first transition went really well.  I had everything set up the way my book recommended and I didn't get confused or anything.  Drying off my feet and putting shoes and socks on took a while, but other than that it was speedy.

The bike portion was really, really tough, so I just took it one hill at a time.  That very first steep hill, I almost made it all the way up without getting off the bike, but then it got even steeper around the corner and I realized I could walk faster than I was biking, so I hopped off my bike.  Pretty much all the novices did, it was actually kind of funny.  At the time I was frustrated about it, but looking back, it wasn't really that big of a deal.  I didn't have to walk up any of the other hills like some other people did.

Second transition was easy, just had to take off my helmet and gloves and put on my race belt.  My "cheer section," made up of my boyfriend, mom, mom's boyfriend, 3 friends and two of their parents, actually slowed me down a bit since I was laughing so hard at their cheering.  My ridiculous artist friend kept yelling, "Yeah, take that helmet off, take it all off!" and then when I had to put the race belt on, she was yelling, "Put it back on!"  She also made a sign that said "Go Nikki Go" on one side, and the other side said, "She's sexy, she's tricky, she'll be on you like a hickey."  It was so ridiculous that I couldn't stop laughing the entire transition.

I came out of T2 way too fast, since I was so pumped up after seeing my cheer section.  I realized it pretty early, though, and then slowed down to a pace where I'd be able to finish.  The run wasn't nearly as flat as people had told me it was and I was really f*ing tired at that point, but I got through it.  And my calves were so tired!  That had never happened before.  We had been messing around with my saddle before the race started, and my boyfriend thinks maybe we put it too high.

In any case, I was very happy with myself for finishing such a tough race.  There were a couple of times during the bike that I thought I wouldn't be able to finish.  I definitely want to do better next year, though.  Laughing   

--
Nikki

YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!  CONGRATS!

Awesome job competing and finishing.  That is a big deal!  

The part on your cheer team is great.  You had a bigger team than I ever have - I'm going to have to talk to my family about that.

Yeah, your calves might have been effected by the position - it could have just been a combination of the hard bike and run though. 

The first one is definitely the hardest!  You'll be flying through them now

Jesse 

2009-09-23 1:07 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Jesse, while you're training for marathons, do you keep swimming and biking, or do you just run?  I'm thinking of doing some longer running races now that tri season is over, but I'm not sure how much biking/swimming I should do.

--
Nikki
2009-09-23 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2422314

User image

Regular
njacobs24 - 2009-09-23 1:07 PM Jesse, while you're training for marathons, do you keep swimming and biking, or do you just run?  I'm thinking of doing some longer running races now that tri season is over, but I'm not sure how much biking/swimming I should do.

--
Nikki

Nikki - I'll maintain my swimming and biking but probably not a lot of improvement.  Really, I'll keep the same number of workouts I am doing in each - but my bike mileage and swim yardage will reduce.  So, 2 swims, 3 bikes and 6/7 runs.

When I start back up with Tri training in January I'll go to 3 harder swims, 4 bikes and 5 runs.  

The biggest difference is in the effort and distance and not in the frequency. 

Jesse 
2009-09-24 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
Boston

Ok I am signed up for the 10K on Saturday. It will be my longest race to date. The race is in my neighborhood; on streets that I am familar running. The hardest part will be the end - last .25 miles is a steady incline. Frown

Would like to do a 1/2 marathon, but don't think that will happen this year. The season will be winding down in a few months.

2009-09-30 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Guys and gals,

I had fun this past year.  I won't be checking this thread any longer but if you need to reach me for anything please do so at jesse at centuries dot com.

Good luck in the future!

Jesse 
2009-10-06 6:01 PM

User image

New user
Madison, WI
Thanks for your help, Jesse!!  Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jesse_d Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14