General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What words encourage/discourage you while racing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-04-28 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2113478

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: What words encourage/discourage you while racing?

I love the cow bells. When someone yells encouragement I never know who they are saying it to, unless I make eye contact; and the only way I do that is if I am rounding a turn on the run.

My mantra I use in my head is "Stay with the Pain".  It helps me keep my intensity up. I started to use it after I saw the face of an athlete running on a prothesis. That just blew me away.

2009-04-29 3:43 AM
in reply to: #2114971

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
DougRob - 2009-04-28 9:43 AM

It wasn't a tri, but rather a ride across Mass. for the Pan Mass Challenge. More than 97% of the money goes to Childrens Hospital in Boston and the event raises over 20 Million dollars a year!

About 40 miles in on the second day, at a rest stop there was a young boy holding a sign that read "I am 4 because of you!" and the "4" was crossed out and it said "5" in red. Made me cry, but I was so glad I was doing what I was doing. No pain I suffered during the ride was as bad as what the kids endured. So I try to keep in mind the organization that the event supports.

Win. Hands down.

Man, I'm gonna think about that doing the Prouty, and that isn't even specifically for the children's hospital!
2009-04-29 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2114091

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
TeddieMao - 2009-04-27 8:15 PM

At St. A's this weekend, I heard "great job, # 2268", "There's beer at the finish", or "hey, chicago".  that did it for me!  I don't have my game face on, or in the zone, I was just looking for mile 6!  If they can say that to me, I will always say thank you to those who are volunteering.  That is what makes me love the triathlon community, not the people who never said "on your left" when they almost clipped me or the people who pushed my bike and all my stuff off the bike rack or the people continually about the poor swimmers being the reason the swim was cancelled.  It was the little girl and her brother who had their own water station and insisted on getting me a glass.  It was the lady spraying me with her lawn hose!  Thanks, I'll be back next year!

I agree! That brother/sister water station rocked! I saw their dad stop there as I was heading out. On the way back I didn't even want any water at that moment, but the little girl started to run ahead of me so I could catch up and get the water, of course I took it.

I think there were only two people out there with water hoses this year. Previous years there were nearly a dozen.

But some of the best things I hear on the course are from other racers. I love seeing BTers while racing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What words encourage/discourage you while racing? Rss Feed  

of 3