Carrolton, Georgia
United States
Tri the Parks Triathlon Race Series
Total Time = 1h 04m 41s
Overall Rank = 37/465
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/52
Pre-race routine:

Loaded up the car, picked up Kirk and drove to the site. Had a Propel and ClifBar on the way.
Event warmup:

Set up the transition area and donned the wetsuit. Swam to the final bouy and back to test everything out.
Swim
  • 10m 36s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out to the left of the field treading water which was pretty easy in a wetsuit. I made sure that I had some room between myself and the guys in front of me. Before the start, I looked to my right and saw the majority of the field still wading in or on the beach and was thankful that I wasn't going to be in that mess. It was still crowded until the first turn with arms and feet everywhere. I sighted well for the most part but swerved a bit on the back stretch with the sun. I still need to figure out this whole drafting swim, but overall this was a really good swim for me.
What would you do differently?:

Find someone to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

This transition was really not good. I put on the Garmin wrist strap to simulate what I was planning to do at Macon, but that took forever. The rest of it was okay. The setup was based on last name, so I had a long run to the bike exit including have to switch aisles because someone had decided to sit in the middle of the aisle to take off his wetsuit. Was 17th in AG and 188 OA in T1.

Going to borrow my better half's Garmin at Macon so that I can have one on the bike already and then put the other on during the run. Learn the flying mount so that I can run faster through transition.
Bike
  • 30m 25s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 22.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked the course and it made sure you had to pound it on the first leg out since that was the easiest portion. I saw Greg getting on his bike as I was running out of transition and knew that it was going to be on. We leap frogged the entire way and even passed a couple of cars that were behind some slower riders. Saw Jonathan making the right turn off of the long straight section and pushed harder to catch him.

Nothing really. I was a great ride and my fastest split yet.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

This transition went okay, not great, just okay. I hadn't practiced my flying dismount at all this year, so I decided to bag on that idea during the bike leg as I didn't want bust it at the line. I saw Greg running by me through transition and knew it was going to be a rumble. Was 14th in AG and 100 OA in T2.

Practice my flying dismount prior to a race and get a different last name so that I don't have to run as far in my bike shoes.
Run
  • 21m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the run about 10 feet behind Greg. Sat in that spot for a while to assess how I was feeling. There were times that I definitely felt like slowing down and was glad that I had Greg in front of me to keep pushing. I passed him on the last big hill before the turn around, hit mile 2 and then turned it on.

Just need to train harder to improve my time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish area and talked with the NAMC group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more training!

Event comments:

It was a good race overall. I was happy with my performance as it was a sprint PR for me, but there are still some areas for improvement. I did qualify for Age Group Nationals from this race, so that's a good thing to complete on the first race of the year.

Last updated: 2009-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:36 | 656 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/52
Overall: 52/465
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise swim around two turn bouys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:30:25 | 11.2 miles | 22.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/52
Overall: 37/465
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:11 | 03.1 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/52
Overall: 66/465
Course: Around the lake on a path, then an out and back section across a gravel/dirt road and normal road. Hillier than I thought it was going to be.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: John Tanner Sprint

2009-04-27 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2114240

User image

Master
Subject: RE: John Tanner Sprint
"Just need to train harder to improve my time."

Please don't.

Great race. 
2009-04-27 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Great race! I can't wait to see how your season progresses. Bummer about your last name. Maybe Macon will be reverse alphabetical order.
2009-04-28 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Need more training? Dude that was a killer fast race AND you qualified for Nationals - you did awesome!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner Sprint Rss Feed