La Jolla, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 52s
Overall Rank = 4566/6500
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 379/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:35am (!!) and left home by 4:15am. Drove to the finish line area (La Jolla Cove) to park and catch the shuttle to the start line. Upon arrival to the start line (at around 5:45am), it was freezing. We hid behind a wall from the chilly wind. About 10 minutes before the race, we started walking around, a quick restroom break and headed to the start line.
Event warmup:

N/A.
Run
  • 2h 33m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I followed my nutrition plan in full. Taking 2 Enduralyte pills every hour and Sport Beans every 30 min. It was worth the effort as I felt great and as opposed to many others, did not cramp or stopped along the course to stretch.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special other than a bit of stretching and avoiding sitting for 30 min. after the race - A trick that someone had thought me just recently.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running with my wife - but it was worth every second of it.

Event comments:

Overall, a good race. Difficult course as well - but a must do race IMHO.

Last updated: 2009-03-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:33:52 | 13.1 miles | 11m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/6500
Performance: Good
Course: The course started off with a deceiving little downhill. People started running fast and many of them passed us. Too many to even count. I constantly monitored out pace and decided to save out energy to the harder parts of the course. Within less than a mile we faced our first up hill - not too bad - but people were already walking it. We kept on running. The scenery of Del Mar was really nice and we ran on some narrow streets with beautiful houses on both sides. Then, more up hill towards scenic route 101 towards Torry Pines. Then, on to a nice downhill prior to the biggest up hill climb (420 ft.) of Torry Pines. That hill is known to be hard and we never attempted to run it before. When we reached the foot of this hill we could hear people telling each other: "This is not a hill, it is a F!@#$ing MOUNTAIN!". Indeed it was steep but doable. We adopted walk/run strategy for it. It was the only part of the race in which we walked. Climbing this hill we passed quite a bit of people. After that point, we reached half way and we both felt good. Then a major downhill towards La Jolla shores. It was a very steep downhill and we ran it pretty slow. My wife preferred to stay injury free and did not want to take any risk. Then, some more gorgeous homes and on to the last hill of the race. From there, about 1.5 miles to the end at the La Jolla Cove. What a great course with a beautiful scenery!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: La Jolla Half Marathon

2009-04-28 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2114500

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: RE: La Jolla Half Marathon

nicely done Ronen

it's so awesome that you and your wife did this race together

congrats!

2009-04-29 2:09 PM

Pro
AZ

Nicely done Ronen!! So cool you got to run it with your wife!  Now where are the goofy pics? Hahaha!

2009-04-30 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
Wesley Chapel, FL (Tampa Bay Area)
Simply awesome and beautiful that you ran with your wife! With me getting married in 92 days, you running with your wife shows so much love! That is what marriage is about! You did awesome as a team! Stay healthy, I look forward to many more race reports, and God's Speed!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » La Jolla Half Marathon Rss Feed