YMCA
59F / 15C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 29s
Overall Rank = 64/156
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 3/14
Pre-race routine:

I have never been less enthusiastic about a race. My knee flared up again during a rest day a couple days ago, so I took three full days off. I've been pretty stressed and have a crappy attitude in general lately, so that didn't do much for my enthusiasm either. Also, I signed up for this race during the last week and ended up with one of the last start times. Later = more wind. I hate wind.
Event warmup:

Waited for 2 hours to start, including an hour outside by the pool. It was sunny but windy, and I was feeling rather cold (and annoyed) by the time I finally got in the water.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 450 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt a little drag from my tri top, but I've actually been doing some swim training lately (in that pool) so I felt very comfortable. I haven't done anything in 3 days and had no warmup, so it took a few laps for my body to wake up.
What would you do differently?:

Not take 3 days off
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Short run from pool to transition, but no wetsuit to deal with. I didn't even wear a swim cap.

Sign up earlier so I can get a better spot in the transition area. I was way in the back corner.
Bike
  • 59m 29s
  • 17.9 miles
  • 18.06 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind made this ride really suck. The bike is still my best leg though, I passed several people and was only passed by a few guys on tri bikes. I felt sorry for a few people I saw fighting the wind sitting upright on hybrids, since I was having a hard enough time in aero.

Drink more. I have a hard time remembering to drink during bike rides when it's not hot, especially if the ride is an hour or less.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Nothing much to report here.... helmet off, shoes off, shoes on, number on. I did waste a few seconds drinking out of my bottle.
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

I took it easy since my knee has been bothering me, but my knee felt normal after the first half mile. I still ran a bit faster than my normal pace, but I didn't go all out. I didn't really give a finish kick either because I was right behind a woman who was giving it her all with a lot of people cheering for her, and I didn't want to pass her right at the line.

Nothing really, it was an ok run.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a couple orange slices and some water, packed my stuff, rode my bike home. No spectators at this one, everyone is coming to Wildflower so I didn't drag anyone to see this one.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee injury and the resulting reduction in training for several months.

Event comments:

I did manage to shave about 2 minutes off of my time from last year. This is the first time I've done the same race with the same course twice. Next week (Wildflower) will be the second time. As it turns out, I placed in my age group - 3/14. All the fast people were in older age groups, which is fine with me.

Last updated: 2009-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 450 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim, 9 laps in a 25-yard pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:29 | 17.9 miles | 18.06 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back through neighborhoods at the beginning and end, and on the outskirts of town during the 5 miles before and after the turnaround. The course was pretty flat.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:00 | 03.1 miles | 10m  min/mile
Course: Mostly flat, asphalt path on the outer edge of the park. Near the end there were some sections of dirt trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-04-27 10:56 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: Tri-For-Fun

2009-04-27 11:18 PM
in reply to: #2114518

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Tri-For-Fun
Sorry about the knee, but it sounds like you did quite well. Kudos!
2009-04-27 11:21 PM
in reply to: #2114518

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Tri-For-Fun
I'm putting your knee on notice!! Congrats on a great race. Good luck at Wildflower.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-For-Fun Rss Feed