Wilderville, Tennessee
United States
Start 2 Finish Event Management
Total Time = 1h 18m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Collegiate Male
Age Group Rank = 26/50
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Wildersville Saturday, and for a while I was thinking 8 hour drive for a sprint is a little ridiculous. Once we got to the race site however I began to warm up to the idea of racing again. After all, its been a few months of no activity aside from training, so I felt ready to compete again.
Event warmup:

Pre race stretching, slight jog to stay warm (it was cold!!!)
Swim
  • 04m 22s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is crazy, the water was so cold that they reduced the swim to a mete 300 meters. I mean, 58 is cold, but really?? Everyone was complaining before the event that if you hold your face underwater while stroking for more than a few seconds, it would start to burn from the extreme cold. I guess I just automatically have an icy face or something, because it really didnt phase me. I mean, yes it was cold and I could not feel my hands or feet, but come on, its race day!!! No time to worry about cold water.
What would you do differently?:

Umm...put goggles on before jumping in the water. In the pre-event energy as the waves were going in, I must have simply forgot to put them on, took a few seconds to adjust and take off from the forehead to the eyes. No big loss.

Overall, a short good swim (and very cold!)
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

No complaints, went very smoothly. Wetsuit off, shoes and helmet on, off I went.

Nothing
Bike
  • 46m 55s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was nice and windy through a very scenic state park. It was hard to focus on the road and riders because I was too busy looking around me! No worries, it was a fun ride, although I probably got too caught up in the "fun" and didnt focus enough on the race part. I dont think that my time suffered though, my average speed was right where it normally is.

Train more on the bike to increase power levels and break through that 20 mph wall. Focus more on my performance
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

If there is one thing I know I can do well in triathlons, it is transitions. The only thing I would change is my jelly-leg syndrome, but that just takes ignoring the cramps and running through it.

Nothing I can think of
Run
  • 24m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with some calf cramps (of course) which took me a minute to get over and stretch out. The fact that it was trail running really slowed me down. Lots of quick steep ascents and descents around the lake. I'm talking straight uphill where you would be better off taking the stairs. Once we were out of the woods, it was road running up a gradual climb and a last quick descent into the race zone.

I cant say I would change much considering the conditions of the road. Then again, running with a shoe full of mud will slow down even the best runners, one would assume.
Post race
Event comments:

Since I was racing collegiate, competition was tough. But I had a time that would have placed me in 2nd in my age group, so I know my performance was strong. It just comes down to training more. Lets mark this one up to experience. Overall, a fun event with the team. I love these guys!

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:22 | 300 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/50
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Blue Seventy Synergy Fullsuit
Course: Counterclockwise square in the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:55 | 15 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/50
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Winding roads through the park, so steady climbs but mostly constant rollers. Made for a fun, slightly challenging course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/50
Performance:
Course: Yuck (trail running through creeks and mud, road, gravel)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?