General Discussion Race Reports! » National Duathlon Festival - Age Group Nationals Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

National Duathlon Festival - Age Group Nationals - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
JMS Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 2s
Overall Rank = 599/885
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 84/99
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6. Ate the usual oatmeal and bannana. Drank water the whole time. Didn't start until 9:30, so left the house at 7 with Terah and Wilson and headed downtown. Set up transition space.

Event warmup:

Jogged a mile or so, stretched and rolled the legs. Tried to acclimate to the heat
Run
  • 46m 33s
  • 6.17 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal for the first leg was 7:00/mile. At mile 4 sign, I was on pace but starting to feel like throwing up in the canal would be a good thing. The next mile supposedly took 10 minutes. Really felt like that if I could just throw up, everything would be fine. Never happened. Picked up the pace again. By this time shoulders felt tight. I remember thinking how strange that was since we didn't swim first. Tried to focus on form and get through. By the time I reached transition, I was struggling. This was the first race since my first time at Duke that I seriously thought about quitting.
What would you do differently?:

maybe drink more on the course. I drank plenty the day before and the morning of. Went to the port-a-potty several times just before the race. Nothing to be done to deal with the early heat.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Was real close to calling it a day. Decided to walk through transition and get on the bike to see if I could cool off.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 41s
  • 23.85 miles
  • 17.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Original goal was under 1:15. Figured that would leave plenty of legs for the second run. I liked the bike course. It offered some variety and you got see people. As I noted, on paper it was confusing, but on the ground it was pretty well marked. Once you got up on the course, you got some cooling going on since you weren't down in the bowl where transition and the run was. may have pushed too hard given the conditions (as evidenced by the second "run"). Spent the entire first loop in small front chain ring trying to spin the legs out. On the second and third used the big ring. Got a calf cramp on the second loop and almost hit the barrier in a turn, but otherwise felt as good as I felt all day while on the bike.

maybe go to the big ring earlier, but also the answer may have been to stay in the small ring. given the day, who knows.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

not as slow as first one, but still not feeling great, so took my time. Didn't feel quite as bad. Quitting wasn't in the forefront of my mind now.

Obviously go faster, but the way I felt that wasn't going to happen.
Run
  • 32m 4s
  • 3.03 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

ah, the walk of shame. Original goal was 20 minutes. heh, heh. What a joke. Here is an amazing stat: at the first mile marker I was at 8:30 and had walked somewhere between 1/3 and half of it. Then the wheels really came off. I call it the walk of shame because it seemed that I was the only one walking. In fact, a lot of guys were flat out booking it by me. All very encouraging. I must give a shout out to the West Point cadets. All were very encouraging as they went by. The urge to throw up was high now, as was the heart rate and the lack of will power to do anything but lay down. Took water at every stop plus some gatorade. Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't done that.

Running would be first on the list :)
Post race
Warm down:

got through the finish gate. They gave me some water and took my chip. I came very close to knocking the lady down who was taking the chip. Sat on the benches they had there in the chute and couldn't decide if I was going to throw up, cry, or both. To be honest, I was embarrased, particularly about the last leg of the race. Went with Terah and Wilson to the food area hoping for a soda to try and burp some. No such luck. Got a gatorade and took one bite of pizza. That was all my stomach could handle. Came close to dozing off while Wilson and Terah ate. At least we were in the shade. Still really hot down there. We got up to go get Wilson's stuff together and the legs both locked up. It was Terah's first time of seeing my legs look like aliens, as she described it. The medical staff came and got me and walked me around supported by two of them for a few minutes and then to the tent. Another gatorade and they stretched and rubbed out the legs for about 20 minutes until I could walk without assistance. I was lucky. One girl across from me appeared unconcious and they were putting an IV in her arm.

Went and got the bike, took it to the car and came back to watch Wilson race. By this time the gatorade was taking effect and my wife had found/cajoled a diet coke for me. :) After Wilson was done, we headed back to the house for showers.

Going in to this race, my blue sky was to qualify. Having met these athletes, I now know what a joke that was. Actually I knew that when we got to the starting chute. So the goal was to PR on all three legs. That was supposed to mean fast PR not slow PR.

I am in awe of the athletes I saw there. Not just the fast ones. There was one lady, who I presume was a veteran based upon her shirt, racing on one leg. Another fellow did this course in a wheel chair. Those athletes inspire me more than they will probably ever appreciate.

I will also say that as bad as this day was, it was a good day when compared with numerous other people's day. There were some 50+ people who either voluntarily or involuntarily quit the race during the race. Another 300+ didn't even start. At the end of the day, I was healthy and all my family was as well. Sometimes, you just have to stop and remember that that is one of the best blessings you can receive.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definately heat. Not sure what else, but something was going on. Obviously need to examine the training as we go forward. The course itself was really not bad, except for the run having litte shade and no breeze. Duke is tougher, as is Pinehurst.

Event comments:

I would do this race again, even though I have no chance of qualifying for Worlds. I would love to race this course in typical April weather to see what I can do on it.

Last updated: 2009-04-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:33 | 06.17 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 70/99
Overall: 508/885
Performance: Bad
Course: Winding course in downtown around the canals. Minimal shade and no breeze.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:29
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Bad
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
01:19:41 | 23.85 miles | 17.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 85/99
Overall: 544/885
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: funny little course with some loop to it. you rode 3 loops of it. On paper it was confusing, but they had it marked pretty clearly once you were out there. Some short steep hills, but nothing like Duke. Really not quite as bad as Pinehurst.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:04 | 03.03 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 93/99
Overall: 777/885
Performance: Bad
Course: smaller version of the first run without going across the river.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %5.5
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-28 5:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: National Duathlon Festival - Age Group Nationals

2009-04-28 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2114647

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: National Duathlon Festival - Age Group Nationals

It sounds like a bad race for you except for the finishing part!!! Be happy with that and try figure out what happened. I know you can beat this time. Maybe it was the taper, some people have to taper differently. Maybe it was just a bad day in the heat but you will figure it out. Good Job!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » National Duathlon Festival - Age Group Nationals Rss Feed