General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I get dizzy? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-04-29 11:11 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Why do I get dizzy?
All right, I have cut my calories to 1500 a day. On the days I exercise, I take 1/2 of the calories I burned off and add that to the 1500. So if I burn 400 calories, I can eat 1700 calories that day.

I eat every 2 hours and eat a balanced diet of 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat.

Many times after lunch and in the afternoon, I get dizzy and light headed. Some days are worse than others.

Then just now... I ate my usual 10:00 AM oatmeal serving... nothing was changed this morning (I also had a 7:30 AM breakfast of 230 calories)... and I am COMPLETELY DIZZY! I'm dizzy to the point that I can barely walk straight. It worries me.

Anyone know what's up or WHY this might be happening?

2009-04-29 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2118325

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Why do I get dizzy?
Are you eating protein with your carbs?

If not you can be having insulin spikes and falls which could account for this.  You may want to ask your doctor or go to the nutrition chat to get Marni's input.

Congrats on weight loss Karen.
2009-04-29 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Have you lost a significant amount of weight recently? This could also account for the dizziness as your Blood Pressure may have come down. I have also been experiencing some dizziness, particularly when standing up, and I saw my Dr he has lowered my BP meds as my BP has come down quite a bit. He said that dizziness is a common symptom of low(er) BP. 

2009-04-29 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2119387

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-29 6:05 PM

Have you lost a significant amount of weight recently? This could also account for the dizziness as your Blood Pressure may have come down. I have also been experiencing some dizziness, particularly when standing up, and I saw my Dr he has lowered my BP meds as my BP has come down quite a bit. He said that dizziness is a common symptom of low(er) BP.

Naw... I have only lost like 4 pounds... and I probably don't have but body fat left to lose.

Good luck in your weight loss... I saw your other thread.
2009-04-29 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2119376

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
KathyG - 2009-04-29 6:00 PM

Are you eating protein with your carbs?

If not you can be having insulin spikes and falls which could account for this. You may want to ask your doctor or go to the nutrition chat to get Marni's input.

Yeah, I am. It's all pretty balanced carbs/protein/fat.

Well unfortunately I don't have health insurance right now... and you can only post in that forum if you pay for the nutritional coaching.

Thanks for the input!
2009-04-29 8:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
You might get your ears checked out.  You could have an ear infection.....  Any headaches or nausea?  Anything else funny going on?  I had vertigo for a while and the doc said it was an ear infection.

2009-04-29 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2119626

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
draykus - 2009-04-29 8:17 PM

You might get your ears checked out. You could have an ear infection..... Any headaches or nausea? Anything else funny going on? I had vertigo for a while and the doc said it was an ear infection.

Well, the dizziness goes away after I eat. So I suspect there is not an ear infection.

2009-04-30 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl

Are you drinking enough water or eating a small bit before the workout?  I was having the dizzy issues after workouts.  Now, I eat a granola bar before hand and drink a bit in the workout, and haven't had the issues since.

2009-04-30 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
I too feel dizy sometimes, I was worried it was because of high blood pressure which I was told I have had before. (Kind of scary for a 26 year old to hear but it has set me on a good path I hope). I am definately going to try some of the tips here and see how they work out. Thanks!
2009-05-01 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2119602

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

KSH - 2009-04-29 9:07 PM
KathyG - 2009-04-29 6:00 PM Are you eating protein with your carbs?

If not you can be having insulin spikes and falls which could account for this. You may want to ask your doctor or go to the nutrition chat to get Marni's input.

Yeah, I am. It's all pretty balanced carbs/protein/fat. Well unfortunately I don't have health insurance right now... and you can only post in that forum if you pay for the nutritional coaching. Thanks for the input!

She is refering to the free monthly chats. I think the nutrition ones are the last Sun of the month usually.

2009-05-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2120654

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
DolphinGirlMB - 2009-04-30 9:59 AM

Are you drinking enough water or eating a small bit before the workout? I was having the dizzy issues after workouts. Now, I eat a granola bar before hand and drink a bit in the workout, and haven't had the issues since.

When I get dizzy, it's not related to a workout.

I think I figured out that I need to eat more in the morning to keep the dizziness at bay. The past couple of days when I ate more calories before noon, I felt generally better.

????

2009-05-03 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
If that's the case...make sure you're getting enough iron in your diet.
2009-05-04 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Well, I looked up insulin spikes and it all seems to be related to after working out. Whereas I get dizzy after I eat, or when I have not eaten for a couple of hours. Typically, I actually feel better when I start working out. Odd.

So I found this...

http://www.basskilleronline.com/insulin_monster.shtml

Your brain uses glucose as its primary fuel source (a little fat, too.) That's why you get dizzy and light headed, the same with during a ketogenic diet... low glucose equals light headedness.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/

Hypoglycemia in People Who Do Not Have Diabetes

Two types of hypoglycemia can occur in people who do not have diabetes:

* Reactive hypoglycemia, also called postprandial hypoglycemia, occurs within 4 hours after meals.
* Fasting hypoglycemia, also called postabsorptive hypoglycemia, is often related to an underlying disease.

Symptoms of both reactive and fasting hypoglycemia are similar to diabetes-related hypoglycemia. Symptoms may include hunger, sweating, shakiness, dizziness, light-headedness, sleepiness, confusion, difficulty speaking, anxiety, and weakness.

Causes and Treatment
The causes of most cases of reactive hypoglycemia are still open to debate. Some researchers suggest that certain people may be more sensitive to the body’s normal release of the hormone epinephrine, which causes many of the symptoms of hypoglycemia. Others believe deficiencies in glucagon secretion might lead to reactive hypoglycemia.

A few causes of reactive hypoglycemia are certain, but they are uncommon. Gastric—or stomach—surgery can cause reactive hypoglycemia because of the rapid passage of food into the small intestine. Rare enzyme deficiencies diagnosed early in life, such as hereditary fructose intolerance, also may cause reactive hypoglycemia.

To relieve reactive hypoglycemia, some health professionals recommend

* eating small meals and snacks about every 3 hours
* being physically active
* eating a variety of foods, including meat, poultry, fish, or nonmeat sources of protein; starchy foods such as whole-grain bread, rice, and potatoes; fruits; vegetables; and dairy products
* eating foods high in fiber
* avoiding or limiting foods high in sugar, especially on an empty stomach

http://your-doctor.com/healthinfocenter/medical-conditions/endocrin...

Rare Causes of Hypoglycemia

Fasting hypoglycemia occurs when the stomach is empty. It usually develops in the early morning when a person awakens.

Symptoms include:

* headache
* lack of energy
* inability to concentrate

I get the two above bolded items on a regular basis. Well, since I've been dieting that is. Yes, I lack energy at times as well. And when I eat I do feel better. This goes for feeling dizzy and having a headache as well.

2009-05-06 1:56 PM

New user

I used to have the same thing happen to me after lunch mostly. It would feel like my blood pressure came up a bit, my pulse sped up and I just didn't "feel right".  This was particularly the case after a meal with simple carbs.

This is what I found. I am very carb "sensitive". I found that it screws with my blood sugar real bad when I eat a normally balanced diet. I also trained for a half ironman and never lost a pound eating a balanced diet. I was also crabby and short-tempered with folks around me for years.

I spoke with my doctor about this and he said lay off the carbs and see what happens.

I went on the Atkins diet and eliminated carbs from my diet altogether. One thing I found is that I won't go into Ketosis like everyone else. If I do go into it it's only a trace. The only sugars that I get come from the Carrot slivers in my salad. I raised my protien intake and the only other thing I eat other than chicken breast is green leafy vegtables.

I feel like a different person. I am in a great mood all the time. I was suprised by this at first and didn't expect it. I tried eating carbs again and here came the short-temper so it's got to be related. On top of that I have started dropping weight.

Try cutting your carbs significantly and maybe you will see the same result.

Good luck!

2009-05-06 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2134521

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
eitek1 - 2009-05-06 1:56 PM

I used to have the same thing happen to me after lunch mostly. It would feel like my blood pressure came up a bit, my pulse sped up and I just didn't "feel right". This was particularly the case after a meal with simple carbs.

This is what I found. I am very carb "sensitive". I found that it screws with my blood sugar real bad when I eat a normally balanced diet. I also trained for a half ironman and never lost a pound eating a balanced diet. I was also crabby and short-tempered with folks around me for years.

I spoke with my doctor about this and he said lay off the carbs and see what happens.

I went on the Atkins diet and eliminated carbs from my diet altogether. One thing I found is that I won't go into Ketosis like everyone else. If I do go into it it's only a trace. The only sugars that I get come from the Carrot slivers in my salad. I raised my protien intake and the only other thing I eat other than chicken breast is green leafy vegtables.

I feel like a different person. I am in a great mood all the time. I was suprised by this at first and didn't expect it. I tried eating carbs again and here came the short-temper so it's got to be related. On top of that I have started dropping weight.

Try cutting your carbs significantly and maybe you will see the same result.

Good luck!

I tried a low carb diet many years ago... and I was even worse off. I was completely out of it, light headed, dizzy... pretty much like a walking zombie. So I'm not willing to go that route.

I have found that balancing my protein out during the day (I am vegetarian so I'm doing it in shake and bar form)... and not eating oatmeal in the morning is helping. I also raised my calories to a base of 1600, plus 1/2 of what I burn exercising... and I'm doing better.

That's great that you found something that worked for you though! Congrats on getting it all figured out.
2009-05-06 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
This is a very interesting post. I was dizzy last week. My son was diagnosed with an ear infection. I was light headed and I had them take my blood pressure and it was very low and my pulse was low. I also started my menstrual cycle this week. I was thinking my dizziness and low blood pressure was maybe related to my cycle. I need to keep an eye on things. I don't have the dizziness but I eat what I want and have increase my workouts. Could your dizziness be related to hormones???? Just a thought.
Karen

2009-05-09 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2121620

User image

Veteran
Brownstown, MI
justinfss - 2009-04-30 3:01 PM I too feel dizy sometimes, I was worried it was because of high blood pressure which I was told I have had before. (Kind of scary for a 26 year old to hear but it has set me on a good path I hope). I am definately going to try some of the tips here and see how they work out. Thanks!

I can relate.  Good luck with your fitness journey.  I am also 26 and my doctor told me I have high blood pressure and I am on a very low dose of lisinopril.  The doctor had me on beta blockers but that interfered with my exercise GREATLY.  Best of luck to you!!

I also think that if I wouldn't of been told about my BP problems I definitely would not have lost the 52 lbs I have.  Sometimes a very rude awakening is a great thing
2009-05-09 7:01 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
KSH - 2009-04-29 12:11 PM All right, I have cut my calories to 1500 a day. On the days I exercise, I take 1/2 of the calories I burned off and add that to the 1500. So if I burn 400 calories, I can eat 1700 calories that day. I eat every 2 hours and eat a balanced diet of 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat. Many times after lunch and in the afternoon, I get dizzy and light headed. Some days are worse than others. Then just now... I ate my usual 10:00 AM oatmeal serving... nothing was changed this morning (I also had a 7:30 AM breakfast of 230 calories)... and I am COMPLETELY DIZZY! I'm dizzy to the point that I can barely walk straight. It worries me. Anyone know what's up or WHY this might be happening?

Being dizzy to the point that you can barely walk straight is not  something you should be self diagnosing.  There could be many medical causes that have nothing to do with what you are eating.   You need to keep a record of the episodes and see a doctor about it. 
Several years ago I was having dizzy spells where I had to hold onto a wall because I felt like I was going to fall over.   Saw my doctor and found that my blood pressure was HIGH.  My only symptom was the dizzyness.
A coworker of mine was having random dizzy spells and found hers were caused by low blood sugar despite eating what she thought was a healthy balanced diet. She has been working with a dietician and her doctor to get her problems under control.
Be careful with self diagnosing.  You need to see a doctor to rule out serious problems (like blood pressure, diabetes, brain tumor.... you just never know whats going on). 
2009-05-09 10:54 PM
in reply to: #2140918

User image

On your right
While it would be optimal for her to go to a Dr, she said that she hasn't got Health Insurace at the present.  So a total out of pocket expense is likely not what she's looking for.  I'm sure that if it got worse, and other symptoms started coming, a Dr visit would happen. 

And keep in mind that she just changed up her diet, and started getting dizzy spells.  So if that was the only change, and when she changed it to more calories, and the dizzy bits went away, it would seem reasonable that there wasn't anything more going on. 

I hope that you keep feeling better, and be sure to let us know if you don't.
2009-05-11 10:23 AM

Im no expert and just take this for what it is a suggestion.

I would try to get more calories in earlier in the day, sounds like your body is craving/starving for nutrients from the earlier workout.

Eat like a King in the morning, a prince in the afternoon, and a peasant in the evening
2009-05-16 2:18 AM

Expert
Behind you
I have the same effects.  I was on some blood pressure meds and I lost 36lbs since July of last year training.  I stand up, and WOoooo!   Talked to my doctor, he dropped the blood pressure meds down by half.  Its in the normal range also now instead of high.

2009-05-18 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
New York, New York
1.  Are you eating pre and post workout?
2.  I got dizzy because I had a low sodium problem.  I would find that after eating salty crackers, I would feel MUCH better.  I naturally run low sodium.  Too bad you can't get a blood test.  How about trying it? Next time you get dizzy, try ingesting some salt!

1500 - I wonder if you are eating enough.  I was eating a pretty low amount and my sports nutrionist (who specializes in endurance athletes) really kicked up my calories!

Yours truly,

dbw27
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I get dizzy? Rss Feed