General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Duathlon National Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USAT Duathlon National Championships - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/1200
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/120
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Richmond on Saturday and got my race packet/bag. Got to the hotel before check in so had to sit around for a bit. Finally got checked in, rested on the bed a bit and then got some food. Came back to the room made sure everything was set up on the bike and such, watched TV and went to sleep. I'd been staying on top of hydration all week knowing it would be a hot race, felt pretty good about that part.
Event warmup:

Since my wave didn't start until 10:10, I got up at 7 and headed downstairs for the continental breakfast and had some pastries, a banana and some OJ. Drove to the race site, walked to transition, got body marked and hung out watching the other waves ahead of me ride. With about 30 minutes to go I went out and did my 2 mile warm up and then stretched at the start line for the first run. Gu ROctane at 45 minutes before start and 15 minutes before start as usual. Felt pretty good even though it was getting warmer.
Run
  • 44m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Start was at the top of a hill and then sharp downhill. I was seeded about 1/2 way back in the field since I was talking with another racer. At the horn I tried to work my way up a little while on the downhill. Legs got pounded a bit there. The hope was to get into the top 15 and sit in until the bike and make up places there (top 12 got World's slots). The field would have none of that as it was really stacked with faster guys and I couldn't make up any ground on them.

Mile marker was off as I had us going through the first mile in ..... wait for it ..... 3:19!! By then I was already slipping back and was probably in the 25 or so place range with the front guys pulling way ahead. I just had nothing in my legs! By about the two mile mark after we went under the bridge I was already going into "survival" mode. The legs were heavy, breathing was labored and I had zero gas in the tank. I've had that at the end of longer races (and would expect that sometimes) but never less than halfway into a 10k!

By the first 180 turn (volunteer said 3.6 mile mark) I was sitting in about 30th place and falling fast. 4 mile mark came at right around 26 minutes, so still not a terrible pace, but definitely getting slower each step. From then on it was a mental debate of whether or not I was even going to go out on the bike as I was just getting slower and more drained. I'd been hitting every water stop and taking a drink and pouring some doiwn my neck/back but it wasn't helping anything at all.

Finally made the last 180 turn and headed towards transition. Got chicked by the two lead ladies in the 35-39 field in the last 1/4 mile (and they started 5 minutes after us ..... kickin' azz for sure ladies!!). At that point I was surprised they hadn't caught me sooner! Shuffled into transition and down to my bike.
What would you do differently?:

No idea. Maybe starting out slower would have been better? I just hate watching the field pull off ahead of me in this type of event as I'm usually pretty capable of running with the front group in almost all races.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

No oomph and at this point was just going to go out and see if I could even ride reasonably. So no hurry.

Be in some condition to race maybe? Normally this would have been like a :40 or so transition.
Bike
  • 26m
  • 8 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike, clipped in, and tried to get going. First part of the course is uphill to the run start and then blast down the same hill we ran earlier. Climbing the hill even though it was short was a b-tch. Got to the top, started down. Coasted sitting up on the bullhorns. Then tried to get down into the aero position once it leveled out and ride consrevatively.

I couldn't even stay aero! It was like dropping down 3 speeds as soon as I got down. I simply couldn't hold my position and got back up on the bars as soon as the road even went slightly up or into the wind. Frickin' weird! I had nothing - and I mean nothing - to push with! It never got any better. I puzzyfooted up the hills, coasted down them and barely stayed aero on the flats. Worst ride in a race ever.

At the end of the first loop I was barely averaging over 18 and I was done. No point in going any further so I pulled out and turned in my chip.

Probably not even start the bike as I could tell this was going to be the result.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

None. Sat and watched some of my AG finish their bike and some of the next one starting it. Waited until a good bit of my AG to come in before going over to retrieve my bike and go home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't know. Was it the heat? Was it my fitness? Was it my start? Was it my nutrition the past week? Could be any combination of things. But the day was definitely not mine.

Event comments:

Good race, well run, great schwag. Just not my day at all. Oh well, recover and move on to the next one.

Last updated: 2009-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:15 | 06.21 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/120
Overall: 0/1200
Performance: Bad
None
Course: Snakey run through the area around the canal, rolling with mix of shade and open area.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:50
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Bad
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:26:00 | 08 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
None
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 3 loops of the course around the canal and surrounding neighborhoods. Rolling course, suited my abilties normally.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-29 2:47 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: USAT Duathlon National Championships
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USAT Duathlon National Championships Rss Feed