Running Fit
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 32m 30s
Overall Rank = 202/272
Age Group = 25-29 Femaile
Age Group Rank = 26/35
Pre-race routine:

I was a little worried that I wouldn't make it in time to get my race packet with all of the construction going on....but alas, I got there in time and even was able to watch the little kids do their 200 meter dash and 1 mile fun run. While waiting for the 5K to start, I made friends with three guys that were standing near me. Two of them are my age and were both just getting back into running to get into shape, and the third was an older guy (40's or 50's) and it was his first road race ever! It seemed like we were all shooting for the same goal...to finish in 30 minutes.
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit.
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Last year, I went out way too fast for my abilities and ended up having to walk after a mile. Today, I started out at a nice, relaxed pace of about 10 min/mile and felt good. My calves were beginning to bother me after the first mile...felt like rocks back there (I was still a bit sore from the 5 mile trail run over the weekend). But I kept pouding on. The second mile was sloooow and hard, but I didn't stop to walk at all and once I knew I only had a mile left, I picked up the pace and finished pretty strong.
What would you do differently?:

I should have run a bit to warm up and I should have run, even just a little, the few days prior to get my legs loosened up. They were very tight and sore still from my run on Saturday.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, had some water, talked with my new buddies. They all did great and came in under 30 minutes. It sounds like all of us are going to be doing the Flirt with Dirt 5K trail run in June...so we vowed to meet up again there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore legs from longer (for me) run over the weekend.

Event comments:

This was the 20th running of the Fit 5K. I'm pretty sure this was the first year that they had chip timing. It's a nice, little, casual week night run and Running Fit always does a great job with their races. And they always have professional photographers...and who doesn't like pictures of themselves!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:30 | 03.11 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/35
Overall: 202/272
Performance: Average
Course: This is your basic flat out and back. There is a tiny little upgrade between miles 1 and 2, but nothing to really even comment on.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes