St. Anthony's Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 21s
Overall Rank = 1070/3679
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 108/218
Pre-race routine:

Slept at Friend's house who lived 4 miles away. Had great home-made dinner, better than fighting congestion heading out. Woke up @ 4am and had banana, Clif Bar, Gatorade. Out the door, found close parking and got body marked. Set up transition when announcement came to cancel swim. That changed whole outlook.
Event warmup:

Since the format changed, forgot about the OWS warm up and just relaxed. Walked to the porta-pottys down by the expo which has MUCH shorter lines than ones near transition. Al were out of TP so that was interesting. Then I met guy behind me in line who gave me sheets of TP from his private stash:) I told him that was great Karma! So unless you count the .25 walk, no warm up to speak of.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The right call to cancel... Mixed feelings all around and folks walked away disapointed. I think the key phrase there was "walked away"... I would have guranteed that there would have been several critical situations if Swim would have gone on. Not for majority, in fairness to RD, how do you determine that? Even if you make an option, some egos would get in the way and there would have still been issues.
Transition 1
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This was the craziest start I have ever seen. Maybe I am creature of habbit, but my whole routine was thrown off. I wore my helmet, sunglasses, socks, bike shoes, etc as we were allowed. Problem #1, I do not practice this way so why did I do it? My mount was horrible while running in the shoes. I always have them ont he bike prior and exit via flying mount. Some reason I went with majority of others and lesson learned.
What would you do differently?:

Stick with what you know!
Bike
  • 1h 08m 57s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike was fun. I was counting on 1:10:00 and with swim, probably would have been right on. Felt good whole way and thought I used gears effectively in wind, turns etc. I was passed by some and also passed others. There was a lot of draftng and fortunately, officials were right on it. I did have one SOB right on my tire for a while, but eventually I pulled away to avoid it. Good ride overall and left some in the tank (so I thought) for the run. Pulled back with mile left and had high cadence to get ready for T2.

Just need to build strenth to get up another mph faster and be ranked higher in AG. But for my level of recent training, mission accomplished.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Got to dismount line and had forgot to take feet out of shoes which I normally do. The pavers were slick so last second came to stop and slowly got off. Right in from of crowds, looked aweful... Ran fine from that point on and racked bike. My seat was to high to slide under rack so just lifted bike and hung on back of seat. Really glad I already had socks on and took no time to slip on shoes and grab visor/race belt. Slow jog out of transition to get legs together.

Get that dismount ready 100-200 yards outside of transition.
Run
  • 52m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I drank either too much on bike or too high a concentration of gatorade endurance. Never bothers me before, but stomach was feeling it. Just ignored it and for first 1/2 mile I was slower as typically happens. That feeling never went away though and I kept same gingerly pace. It was my legs not lungs that gave out. I was getting passed by a lot of my AGers and that was discouraging. It was a fun course and I should have been closer to 50 minutes. Oh well, had fun and enjoyed the scenery.

Need to work on speed and Bricks... Ussually can overcome in Sprints, but this got to me. Plus I think there were some great athletes in my AG. Run my own race and forget about placing. I am a few years from that being a concern:)
Post race
Warm down:

Ran through finish, grabbed water and wet towel (that was great!)... Walked out and felt fine. Did I leave some on the course? I can't tell how much was mental or physical. I think I was just too content and goes back to whole missing swim deal. I hung out, ate (loved the beans and rice) and then drove 4 hours back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training 5-7 hours a week is about what I shoudl have expected from these results. Need to work on 2 a day workouts to fit more in. That plus some form of speed work and strength on Bike.

Event comments:

Fun atmosphere and 1st Olympic I did. I really dislike sprints, but it is what I mostly race due to convenience. Love the HIM I did last year, but time for that training is limited year-round. Think I found my sweet spot with this distance. I was not sore after the race and did take Monday off but was back to a nice run Tuesday morning. Really thankful for friend and their family for letting me stay with them in St. Pete! Looking forward to 2010 to get revenge on that swim...

Last updated: 2008-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1640 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/218
Overall: 0/3679
Performance:
Suit: Business Casual
Course: Shame, nice course. I would have loved to swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:10
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:08:57 | 24.85 miles | 21.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 91/218
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Nice course with one loop and although it was windy, we were never in major headwind for long time. Lot of turns, fun straightaways. Holy Speed bumbs!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:33 | 06.21 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/218
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice course with friendly volunteers! Plenty of water on the course. One station had cold water and that was great. Many residence were outside watching and had hoses sprayign people. ANGELS!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-30 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2009-04-30 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2121171

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon

Nice job!

I too was given some TP from someone's stash and told her that it was good karma.

2009-04-30 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2121171

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
When I got to the porta potties around 6:30 they had TP and extra on the ground in front...yep lines by expo were shorter.

It was strange being in transition hearing the announcement and wondering how should I do that? Bring my helmet? shoes? ah...

Glad you found your distance!

Nice job out there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed