St. Petersburg, Florida
United States
St. Anthony's Triathlon
Total Time = 2h 19m 51s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

There was no pre race routine for this race. Saturday I was sick. During the day it did not affect me too much but I guess 8 hours in the car traveling to St. Petersburg didn't help. The peak of the illness hit around 11pm. I had a horrible sore throat and a fever and was waking up every 15-20 minutes. Around 1am I took a few Advil and finally got sleep in chunks of an hour. I guess the Advil broke the fever because at some point in the night I woke up in a puddle of my own sweat. The bed was so wet that Kristen got up and switched beds.

I woke up at 4:30am, blah but ready to race. Went through my typical pre-race routine and pre-race breakfast. This was my biggest mistake, not realizing that sweating out the fever all night had me dehydrated and doing more than my "typical" pre-race routine/breakfast.

As race excitement was starting to build and as I was about to head over to the beach with my wetsuit the annoucement was made that the swim was cancelled. They made the right call but now I had to psych myself up for what is essentially going to be a brick.
Event warmup:

No warm-up. Stood around waiting for the time trial start. It was cool watching the pros swim and come into transition (swim not cancelled for pros). It didn't look like an easy swim for them so I guess it was the right call to cancel the swim.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim cancelled due to dangerous conditions.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Not really a transition...more of a jog to pick up the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 21s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty happy with this bike. I went into St. A's knowing that the bike training was lacking and it would be my weak link. I was hoping to average much closer to 21mph but the wind was pretty strong, hence the cancelled swim. On the back portions of the bike course, where there was little wind, I was easily maintaining speeds over 21/22 mph.
What would you do differently?:

I finished the bike having consumed less than half of what I planned for nutrition/hydration while on the bike. WHAT WAS I THINKING????
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Not stellar but not bad. Considering the size of the St. A's transition area I'm pretty happy with this time.
Run
  • 1h 02m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

This run started so perfectly. I wanted to average 9:45 min/mile. That was taking into account that I'd start a bit fast and slow towards the end.
Mile 1: 8:49 Very happy and feeling strong - will slow my pace for mile 2
Mile 2: 9:09 Very happy and feeling strong - time to dial in my pace
Mile 3: 9:48 good pace, start to feel fatigue but already half done
Mile 4: 10:06
Mile 5: 11:25
Mile 6: 11:17
Last.2: 2:10

It was somewhere near mile 5 that it all ended for me. In hindsight I know I was dehydrated but had no clue what had happened while I was out there. All I knew is that I was feeling crampy and running, concentrating, and maintaining a good attitude became very difficult.

What would you do differently?:

I finished the run with two gels and two Hammer Endurolytes in my race jersey having consumed none of these on the run and drank very little at the aid stations. Again, WHAT WAS I THINKING????

How's that for a plan...dehydrate over night and then under hydrate during the race.

Post race
Warm down:

I've never felt so bad after a race. This race took more out of me than any other race I've done, including the HIM. I was in a fog, felt weak, and just wanted to lay down. My instinct was to go to the medical tent but I didn't b/c Kristen and my Parents were doing a relay and I wanted to make sure they got their share of cowbell. I hung out with my Dad who did the bike until it was time to head out to the run course and cheer on Kristen who was finishing up the run. After the race we walked back to the hotel. I crawled into bed still wearing my tri suit and slept for 5 hours. Got up, showered, went to dinner, came back and went to bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not sick during the race, I felt fine and won't use it as an excuse. However, looking back on the day I'm PISSED at myself for not hydrating better before and during the race. I don't know why I didn't have the presence of mind to rehydrate after waking up in a puddle of my own sweat.

Event comments:

Can't blame St. A's but my timing chip did not work on the run. As per the official results I did not pass the check point at the half way point of the run nor did I finish the race.

Otherwise, St. Anthony's deserves lots of credit for this race. They put on a great race anyway but this year they had to make a tough call and had the group well organized for a time trial start at the swim exit.

Last updated: 2009-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:26
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:21 | 24.85 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:02:44 | 06.21 miles | 10m 06s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-04-30 2:14 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2009-04-30 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2121480

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Way to stick it out despite being sick!!!!

Next time HYDRATE, okay?
2009-04-30 8:21 PM

User image

Master
I can't believe you got up to race after feeling so sick.  I'm wimpy; you are a stud. 

It wasn't a perfect race but you still did a great job.   
2009-04-30 9:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Wow...tough day for you but good job out there.

I bet you never under hydrate again or maybe skip the race when feeling sick.

Weird did you hear your chip go off at the turn around point?
2009-05-02 11:51 AM

User image

Lutz, FL

Way to stick it out. The heart of a true Triathleate.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed