General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate monitor Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-20 3:40 PM

North Cackalacky
Subject: Heart rate monitor
I had recently bought a HRM and someone had mentioned to me to ensure that my distance training runs need to be around 65% Max. I had a very difficult time even staying around 75% this morning. The pace was so slow that my knees felt it. My average for the run was 77%.

Can anyone give me advice about the use of the HRM? I would like to maximize the usefullness of my training.

At least I know my hearts beating,
Matthew

2003-08-20 3:59 PM
in reply to: #517

Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: Heart rate monitor
Hello Matthew!
How have you estimated your max HR ? The "220-age" formula is often not correct....sounds like from your run feedback that this formula does NOT apply to you.

Better to use percentage of "anaerobic thresold". Check the excellent article that Scott wrote previously here :
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Scott%20Herrick/scott.htm

Best of luck,
Jay
http://www.ironcoach.com/
2003-08-21 5:22 PM
in reply to: #518

North Cackalacky
I guess I should have read the article first. I read it right after I posted it. This morning I followed the test to get my MHR and have done the calculation which was definitely different than what my HRM automatically comes up with.

However, I still am not sure at what percentage that I need to be doing my endurance runs. Any tips?

Matthew
2003-08-22 1:54 PM
in reply to: #528

Boulder, CO
Matthew,

How much higher was your max HR than you had previously anticipated ?

Between 55-70% of your max HR ought to be a good guide for your long run. Also listen to your breathing, as well : AT the high end of this , you should JUST start to notice a "deepening of breath". If so, you're right on target for the maximal "aerobic" training stimulus !

Go Run,
Jay
2003-08-26 3:29 AM
in reply to: #517

North Cackalacky
Thank you for the advice. Now the "new" 70% seems right on track for an enjoyable run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart rate monitor Rss Feed