General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Circle Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-05-01 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2123829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Circle Swimming
You know my pool has this problem to with one exception. The third person into the lane...not usually a swimmer. Usually it is some old to middle aged lady who just walks into the lane (without asking) where usually me and another are already swimming splitting the lane and proceed to do her own private aqua-arobics walking up and down the middle of the lane. Now THAT is rude. I go to an LA Fitness right now and I am trying to talk to the management to designat only 1 lane for water aerobics (when not during the W.A. class of course) and the other lanes for lap swimming. I will gladly circle swim with 3+ people and have done it but I can not stand these rude people that just barge in like no one is using the lane and don't care when you ask them to move over, use a different lane (that already has 2 people in it doing their own water areobicy stuff) or to at least watch out for the 2 people actually swimming in the lane...

ok venting done, thanks for listening (or ignoring it)

2009-05-01 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2123829

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Circle Swimming
kevmk81 - 2009-05-01 11:59 AM Ok so I'm doing laps at my gym I belong to, 5100 yards, including 8 x 400 training pace + 100 easy. This guy hops in the pool, and says "You want to circle swim?", since I was already swimming with an older female. I just said that I've never done that before, and wouldn't want to start today. But he was weird about it, just insisted on it, and when I started my next interval, he started swimming behind me! So basically, it seemed extremely rude. Later on, as in 1 lap, since both he and the lady are slower swimmers than I am, I end up needing to swim, but they are somehow both swimming towards me (I think he was trying to pass her). The older lady says to the guy, "I don't think this is working very well, he's a stronger swimmer and that won't work with circle swimming". All I thought was "no sh*t". So they just use one side of the lane, I guess taking turns or whatnot. Later on, the lady left, and it was just me and the dude. The lane over opens up while I'm in the middle of an interval, and this guy is basically being an a**hole and not moving over to the other lane (he was taking a breather). First of all, do you normally let somebody circle swim in that situation? Was I being rude, or was this guy just too impatient to wait for somebody else to get done? Secondly, if during a swim, you're swimming with somebody in the same lane, and a lane opens up in the pool, is it rude to go over to the free lane?

Based upon the question both are fault. You are at fault first. Circle swimming is the norm and you should have been willing to learn "on the spot". He should have moved to a faster lane of swimmers if possible. If not possible then it is accepted as one of those things as "it is what it is" deal with it.

Cheers!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Circle Swimming Rss Feed  

of 3