Citytri
93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 53s
Overall Rank = 62/248
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 and was out the door at 5:35. Had everything packed the night before. Sipped Gatorade Endurance the entire ride which was just over an hour. Once we got there I checked in and picked up my race packet then got body marked. Had a bag of shot blocks just prior to the race start. I need to get up earlier for my upcoming 1/2 and Full in order to get some food in me prior to the race. I have a tough time eating early in the morning though and have to force it down. Carbo-Pro can help with that.
Event warmup:

Put my wetsuit on and got in the water just to get wet and get a feel for the water temperature. It was supposed to be cold but felt really good so I was excited about that. Last year the water was freezing as was the air temp so that made for a tough race. Swam for 30 seconds or so as the pre-race meeting was starting and everybody was ordered out of the water.
Swim
  • 16m 28s
  • 1056 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went really well. My goal for the race was a sub 17 minute swim and I accomplished that so I was off to a good start. Swim start went really well and was able to settle in nicely. Spotting was good as well and was able to swim fairly tight to the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I feel like I had a good swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

T1 had a long run from the swim to the transition area so that made for a longer T1. Got my swim cap, goggles and wetsuit off without any issues and I was on the bike ready to ride.

Could have run a little faster to the transition area but took it easy to get my breathing under control.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 26s
  • 29 miles
  • 22.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike leg. Had a tough start though as my aero drink bottle was missing 1 of the 2 rubber bands and was slanted to one side and hanging by a thread the entire ride. I was nervous it was going to fall out but luckily it never did. Should have checked this and reset my bike computer as well prior to the race.

My goal for the bike was to avg. 22+ mph and I also accomplished that. Again, I was very pleased and felt like I was having a great race so far as I was 2 for 2 on my goals for this race. This was the first race that I had ridden my new Trek TTX and it felt great to finally ride a Tri bike after two seasons on a road bike.

I had roughly 32 ounces of Gatorade Endurance with 2 scoops of Carbo-Pro during the ride (@374 calories). With roughly 20 minutes remaining on the bike I also had a Gu gel. It was hot and getting hotter so I wanted to make sure I had the proper amount of nutrition on the bike so that it didn't affect my run. I think I did that.

Nothing. I accomplished my goal and had a good bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Pretty quick T2.

Maybe move a little quicker to get this under 1 minute.
Run
  • 32m 51s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 07m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Had an ok run. Missed my goal of 32 minutes or 7:37 pace on the run but pushed the bike and 90+ temps made for a hot run so that was probably a little aggressive but still doable. Breathing was heavy when I got off the bike and legs felt a little worn. One good note was that I did get faster as the run went on and I didn't miss by much.

Not sure. It's an early season race that I didn't peak for and my fitness will hopefully get better over the next few months so that should help.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my medal and a quick bite to eat then headed to the lake with some friends to cool off and hopefully get the recovery started by sitting in the cool water for 15 minutes or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. My training plan with Cadence is going really well and I'm happy with where my fitness is at this point in the season.

Event comments:

Great race! They made some improvements from last year which included moving the transition area and some of the rough roads were paved. Personally, I hit 2 of the three goals I set for myself. Sub 17 on the swim and 22+ on the bike. Overall, almost 10 minutes faster than last years time. Good start to the Tri season!

Last updated: 2008-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:28 | 1056 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 113/248
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex2
Course: Counter clockwise triangular course in a calm clear lake.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:26 | 29 miles | 22.18 mile/hr
Overall: 51/248
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:51 | 04.2 miles | 07m 49s  min/mile
Overall: 69/248
Performance: Average
Course: Lots of turns with a portion of the race on a trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-02 11:09 AM

User image

South Jersey
Subject: Bassman Spring Triathlon

2009-05-02 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2125469

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Bassman Spring Triathlon
Nice race and impressive improvement in a year!

Sounds like weather was exact opposite of last year....cold and rainy. So transition wasn't on the sand? First year I did it, it was on the parking lot on the right...that worked well.
2009-05-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2125473

User image

South Jersey
Subject: RE: Bassman Spring Triathlon

Thanks.  Yeah, they moved the transition back to the parking lot and that worked out much better than the sand.  Weather was great!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bassman Spring Triathlon Rss Feed