John Bingham Racing, LLC.
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 32s
Overall Rank = 1241/4221
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 80/479
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:15 for an 8 am race. Dressed and ate an English muffin with honey and a banana. Sipped on Gatorade. Left at 6:50 am. Picked up friends. Arrived at race at 7:20 am.

Clothes: Thin tri shorts, HR monitor, long-sleeve zipper-neck shirt.
Event warmup:

n/a. Bouncing in place in the starting chute.
Run
  • 1h 55m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Ahhhh. Had a good one. I started off a bit fast, and then I kept telling myself that I needed to keep up that pace so I could still make my time goal even if I had to slow down or had a bad hill or something. I just kept doing that, and ended up with a 5-minute cushion! Awesome!
I skipped a couple aid stations (one was too disorganized. the other sneaked up on me too quickly.) This was probably for the best. It wasn't hot out, and my stomach stayed calm because I didn't try to force too much down. No gels.
Kept my HR at a nice 170 - even keel - up until about mile 10 when it started slipping upward. It was great to feel like I was running comfortably and look down each mile and get confirmation that I was on a fast pace AND keeping the same HR. I don't usually wear HR for races. I'm glad I did this time. I've been able to wear my HR strap more comfortably since I tightened it up some.
What would you do differently?:

I held my focus on my goal really well, but I did get distracted at the aid stations. I would lose my focus and my pace and form would suffer. I usually noticed and pulled it back together without a lot of effort. When I saw other people stop to walk or talk about slowing down, I noticed this had a negative impact on my thinking. So my mental skills could stand more improvement.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a lot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

n/a. I actually can't believe I ran this fast.

Event comments:

Good race. Last year they promised a lot and didn't always deliver. This year they didn't promise as much. They have LOTS of potties at the start/finish, which is great. Decent amount of fans, but no music out on the course, except one spot. No pace running groups/signs. But I had a great one. No complaints, really!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:32 | 13.1 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 80/479
Overall: 1241/4221
Performance: Good
976 Cal Ave HR: 169
Course: Mostly flat. Weather ended up being good. Start at arena. NW to west side of campus. Across Dodridge. South on High. East on Spring. South on Washington. West on Town. South on ??. Over I70. West through German Village. North on High. over to Front. North on Front. West on Nationwide. North on Neil.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-02 1:07 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: The Capital City Half Marathon

2009-05-02 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2125622

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: The Capital City Half Marathon
Nice Job Honey! I was able to stay with you until about mile 4. Then you were ghost like Swayze.

I'll be coming to get you next year.

Who are those handsome folks in that picture?

Edited by David tri's 2009-05-02 6:24 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Capital City Half Marathon Rss Feed