General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
50sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 38s
Overall Rank = 8271/35000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 980/2111
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30 EST (3:30 at home - yikes) Had to listen to the ice machine all night in the hotel - so wasn't an issue waking up - was ALREADY awake! Got my gear together, dressed, had oatmeal to go bar (apples nd cinnamon, banana, cup coffee and water. Met up with the rest of T3 and families in the lobby, got pic taken and headed downtown.
Event warmup:

Found our parking spot - really think Pat's GPS failed him, but I won't say anything - haha. Got everyone together and walked to our corrals - hit the "head" a few times before heading into the corrals at about 7 a.m. - stretched, talked with my wife and girls, stretched some more. Butterflies started setting in as the time was ticking down and the corral was filling!
Run
  • 1h 59m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, couldn't have asked for better conditions for my first half marathon. Rained all night, so I was worried we may be running in the rain today - was chilly to start, but was comfortable less than a mile in. I just found a comfortable pace and stuck with it - til I hit mile 8 and realized I had a shot at sub 2 hours. It was on like Donkey Kong then - I knew I would pay for it, but I didn't care - I wanted that 2 hours! And I got it!! WOO HOO!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Took me til about the 4th "pit area" to realize I should move to the middle of the road - what a log jam that is - couldn't believe people went from a 9 min pace to a dead stop and take a drink - that was frustrating, but I fought through it. Other than that, I don't know what else I would have done diff.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really like this part too much - like herding cattle - literally cross the finish line and come to a dead stop - wanted to keep moving, but we were not going anywhere - finally started moving - got medal, goodies, pic taken and talk to wife and girls all the way around - they were right there when I crossed the finish line, so that was pretty special! Went back around and found the rest of T3 over by the finish - stretched and talked about our races - lost Glenn (we realized after an hour he prob went back to the truck - I think he's in trouble! hee hee!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the pit areas, but this was my longest and best run EVER!! No complaints here - I ran a quicker pace today or 13.1 miles than I did in the 5k at the Sullivan Tri last week - haha!

Last updated: 2008-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:38 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 980/2111
Overall: 8271/35000
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 9:44.74 Mile 2: 9:08.53 Mile 3: 9:13.00 Mile 4: 9:05.02 Mile 5: 9:02.78 Mile 6: 9:16.42 Mile 7: 9:08.85 Mile 8: 8:51.88(It's here when I realize I might have a shot at 2 hrs - go time) Mile 9: 8:49.67 Mile 10: 8:58.40 Mile 11: 8:53.88 Mile 12: 9:18.57 (It's here when the legs felt like 2 tree stumps - lol) Mile 13 + 0.1: 10:07.75
Course: Pretty flat/fast course for the most part. Really enjoyed it and will do it again next year - Started downtown - out to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - one lap around speedway and out - back downtown adjacent the start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-02 4:40 PM

User image

Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

2009-05-02 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2125806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Subject: RE: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
Awesome race dude!!!  You were almost in the 8:00 bracket.  Sorry I missed you dancing your jig.  I'm going to have to see that sometime.  Really enjoyed the weekend with the team and your family, they are very nice.  Next time we will have to put a gps on Glen so we can find him .  Looking forward to the next race.

Great effort today!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed