Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-05-04 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2129737

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Jerk on the Road
skarl - 2009-05-04 4:53 PM
morganjohnson - 2009-05-03 9:05 AM Yeah, you can't really report someone just for being a dick.  Unfortunately.  But it's ok because he goes home to sit on his couch, eat fried food, and get more and more out of shape and over-weight.  I mean, no wonder he doesn't like you.  You're everything he'll never be.  Whoops - did I just say that??  Seriously, those guys are everywhere.  I have to put up with women yelling at me to put more clothes on.  Sorry I look good in spandex ladies.

You can in Colorado.  A law just passed that motor vehicles need to give us 3' clearance and can be reported for harrassment.  I've got the # on speed dial, just in case.

I hadn't heard that!  Care to share the number? 

2009-05-05 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2125889

A story in the local paper this morning:

Man jailed after report of thrown can

JONESBORO — A report of a thrown beer can helped get a Wynne man sent to the can, Jonesboro police said.

Antonio D. Smith, 26, 200 Fisher Place, No. 14, was arrested by Patrolman Gary Jackson after Jackson responded around 12:30 a.m. Sunday to the intersection of Nettleton Avenue and Main Street. A bicyclist said he had been struck by a can of beer.

“The victim stated that a white van had passed by him traveling north on Main, and someone from the vehicle threw out the beer can, striking him in the back,” Jackson said.

Jackson said he later saw the white Chevrolet van going south on Union Street. Jackson followed the vehicle east on Oak, south to Main Street and was later pulled over on Nettleton Avenue.

The people in the van denied any involvement in the incident and no cans of beer were found, though Smith, a passenger in the van, appeared to be intoxicated, Jackson noted.

Police later found Smith had three warrants for contempt of court-nonpayment of fines, failure to appear-contempt of court-noncompliance with public service work and probation revocation out of Jonesboro.

Smith was given a District Court date of 1 p.m. today and was held in the Craighead County jail on a $1,935 cash bond, Jackson said.

—Michael Wilkey

2009-05-05 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2130579

User image

New user
dmars3571 - 2009-05-05 7:22 AM

Police later found Smith had three warrants for contempt of court-nonpayment of fines, failure to appear-contempt of court-noncompliance with public service work and probation revocation out of Jonesboro.

What a total POS!  I'm sure his daddy didn't love him and his momma was a .  Doesn't AR have the death penalty? 
2009-05-09 2:06 AM

User image

New user
San Antonio, Texas
I haven't yet had the pleasure of having something thrown at me. I also haven't yet rode down the rode on a bike.  But I have been riding a motorcycle for several years and have come to discover there are a lot of idiots in automobiles or 'cages'.  Most idiots also seem to have a cell phone attached to their rectums.  I am sure once I return to the states and start riding that I will be ushered into the club by some dumb .  Some people do not understand the freedoms of being on the open road; or the dangers.  I wonder if I should carry a zip lock bag to pick up an item for fingerprinting?  I imagine it would be hard to prove if someone hit you with something.  Wish you all luck and safety. 
2009-05-09 2:31 AM
in reply to: #2126061

User image

Regular
Cary, NC
hrliles - 2009-05-02 10:00 PM White truck, brain dead driver buzzed me today and saluted me with the finger.  45 other drivers were attentive and polite.  I got his plate, turned him in and since my friends are with the force, I also now know who white truck brain dead driver is.  So here is what I am going to do...mail him a letter with the DMV guide book attached and remind him when he buzzes folks it could be say a father of 3 young kids or a seriel killer, so think about it next time. I know it may be cruel but I feel like enough is enough of just letting it go....so.....

Oh, and glad you are ok man, be careful. 

Nice....i like it.
2009-05-09 3:01 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

I always get freaked out with cars coming up behind me and honking... until a cyclist friend of mine commented those arent the ones he worries about... because if theyve tooted the horn, at least you know theyve SEEN you!

Ive been really lucky so far with riding but I also try to stick to areas where cyclists are common...

Worst incident recently was a car that pulled into the lane infront of me and then stopped in an empty road... I may have said a few choice words to that one as at about 30kph it takes a little time to stop.... I think the comon problem I most often encounter is cars turning into a road or at an intersection who clearly cant judge how fast a bike is going when they decide to enter a road....

2009-05-09 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran

First run tonight in ....well awhile. About 45 min after dark on a partially lit sidewalk. I get a lowered full size white Chevy pickup pull up beside me right at a stop sign - radio blaring and loaded with  4-5 obviously twenty something kids in the back. A couple of rude comments kind of under their breath - lotsa gigglin - before one kid starts with the profanity and personal attacks. It was so hard to hold my tongue - 10 yrs ago I wouldn't have been able to even if outnumbered...but I am wise enough now to know me at 43 is no match for a truck load of 20 something guys out looking for trouble. I watched the tail lights turn into a neighborhood about 3/4 of a mile up the road. I planned on circling thru the neighborhood to find the truck, call the authorities etc.....but ....I didn't....

You know the whole sticks and stones thing? Not worth my time & effort over some words from a bunch of punk kids.

Karma......

2009-05-09 9:39 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

mean people suck

2009-05-09 10:23 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
A week or two ago I was on a ride through the middle of town.  I was along a busy street against traffic, but on a bike/running path that is probably 20' off the actual roadway.  As I was riding along I see a (male) kid who looked like he was about 15 or 16 years old hang half his body out the passenger side of a beat up old grey Honda CRX as it pulled up to a stoplight and yells "Hey Baby, Lookin' Good!!" At the top of his lungs.

Now, I'm also a dude (and fairly obviously so even while dressed entirely in lycra), so naturally I was so instantly perplexed by the whole thing that I was completely unable to respond.  I just kind of stared slack jawed in his direction until I was too far away to see him anymore.  I still don't know quite what to think.  Did he think the comment would somehow undermine MY sexuality?  He's the one who insinuated that he was gay, not me.  I was just an innocent bystander riding a bike.   Was he a fellow cyclist who was merely impressed with my choice in apparel, bike, or my riding form?  Perhaps he was gay and was just impressed with what he saw.  In that case, more power to him.  Its always nice to be appreciated.

Edited by JZig 2009-05-09 10:27 PM
2009-05-09 11:02 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Just remember they are jerks,  they don't know how to ride a bike, (some kind of no father figure to help them out) (they have a small weine)  .....they don't have cable, so they have never seen Ironman Hawaii or Versus Tour de France.

Just let them go, that vehicle outweighs you...Ride on.

2009-05-10 9:23 AM

User image

Expert
South Florida
I was stopped in the BL at a red light, looking down to get a drink from my water bottle and a lady in some giant car rolled up beside me. I noticed her because I was looking in the direction of my left foot and her tire rolled up to a stop within 3 inches of my foot. I looked up at her and she seemed to have no idea I was even there. I waved my arms and she seemed to come out of a trance, backed up a little, and looked like she thought I had just materialized there. I would rather have someone yell at me, at least they know you are there. The ones who are totally oblivious are the ones who scare me.

2009-05-10 11:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Kalispell, MT
Coming home on my run tonight, last 4 or 5 blocks before the house.  I was on the sidewalk for this last part, because of all the cars parked on the street, didn't want to be out there in the traffic... safer on the sidewalk, I thought...

Running south on 1st ave, car coming north on 1st ave.  I was coming up to cross street, driver had blinker on, wanted to turn left onto cross street, right in front of me.  Crosswalk light had just started blinking while I was about 10-15 feet from intersection.  I looked up and caught drivers eye, she saw me and I saw her.  I obviously wasn't slowing down or stopping - the light was still green and I was going across.

I heard the car slow, then gun it - trying to turn in front of me so they wouldn't be caught on the red light.  I was already in the middle of the cross street as the car came through.  I think she thought she could cut the corner and beat me through the intersection, but obviously misjudged.... Squealing tires and laying on the horn (like she had the right of way!) - I instinctively reached out to protect myself, and wound up hunched over her fender and was able to pound on their hood a couple of times until they tore off...

I REALLY thought she had got me...  Off to buy my Road ID so the Cops/EMS know my wife's phone number...

scary...    Frown

2009-05-11 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
As many times as this happens to me the guys who see me and are just jerks are usually not that worst I put up with. The worst ones for me have been the Irate old person in their giant lincolns who love to buzz me only to try and stop me at the corner or in the middle of the street to tell me "In their day bikes were not allowed on the road...etc." those scare me more because they may not have reaction time as good as even some drunks...

Funniest red neck story though is when I was riding to work a year or so ago. 4 lane road but for this section of it in the morning the right lane is closed and kept as a reserve parking space for busses waiting to start their routes. Anyway a truck with 2-3 illshaven, flannel wearing individuals buzzes me and are yelling at me. They are hooting and holloring seeming to have a good time so I ignore them until one throws a cup of something at me. (I suspect it may been a spit cup from the smell but luckily nothing hit me...) I beat them through the next light and then pull into the left lane because of the busses in the right lane. when the light changes for those guys the speed up trying to catch me and throw other things at me. driver so was so busy paying attention to me he almost didn't see the bus. Managed to slam on his brakes and not rear end a parked bus but none the less I circled back and saw the guys getting chewed out by the bus drivers AND saw the Sound Transit Cops pulling up to chat with them. If I hadn't had to get to work and shower to not be late I would have chatted with them.  Karma can be great.

Mostly though the drivers I run into are good. Thank me for stopping at light and stop signs (happens regularly), smile at me and wave. the Moped and scooter drivers are a little crazy but the Motorcycles around here are nice and polite. Good to chat with at stoplights.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Jerk on the Road Rss Feed  

of 2