General Discussion Race Reports! » Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
McKinney (McKinney High School), Texas
United States
Playtri
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 37s
Overall Rank = 124/228
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 18/21
Pre-race routine:

Went to Kenny Chesney concert, had a few beers, got soaked, got to bed around midnight. One of the fire alarms started chirping at 2 am, and announcing "low battery". Unfortunately there are 8 of them and you can't tell which one it is unless you're standing right under it. This went off twice every 15 minutes before I got up to try to replace the battery. It took me one more round of chirping to narrow it down, replaced the battery and back in bed at 2:30. Another 15 minutes and it went off again, apparently the battery I replaced it with was also dead. Ugh, I have to get up at 4:15. Its now 2:45. This is going to be less than pretty.
Event warmup:

Got there early to set up and try to figure out how this whole transition thing works. After all set up and then re-set up after one of the officials told me you have to spread your transition gear on the side where the wheel touches the ground... hit the pool for 50 yds and talked to a few people.
Swim
  • 06m 44s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

When you start this far back and can actually swim okay, there are just over 1 billion people in front of you and passing multiple people, while others are also passing multiple people gets you a head butt... this passing part was ugly. I passed at every wall, including the first one. In one lane, I passed 6 people from one wall to the next.
What would you do differently?:

actually put a time in that I think I can do, rather than saying "this is my first tri... I don't know what kind of time... how about slowwwww". My fault, they took me at my word.

Also swim more
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

This was the first time riding this new bike. I decided to give the "shoes already clipped to the pedals" a go, since I had tried it once at the house... bad idea. the first one went in fine, the second flipped the pedal upside down and drug on the ground, then I swerved and almost clipped the curve, waited until I got out on the road before I put the other shoes completely on.

Go ahead and put the shoes on before I get on the bike, I just looked like a moron and almost hit the curb trying to get the shoes on. Dont wear socks.

Bike
  • 52m 57s
  • 14.8 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I found out that I'm very good with the downhills and tail wind, not so good on all the other stuff... and most of it was uphill with wind in my face the entire time (or so it seemed). There was also mud and standing water on the course. I had no idea what to expect.

ride the actual bike a couple of times before I have to race it.

then ride it some more.

Drink more near the end to get ready for the run. I still had half a bottle left.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Ah yes, now I have to take my feet back out of these &*%^&^ shoes ?? First one comes out okay, then the pedal flips over... ahhh, finally get it flipped over and go to get my other one out of the shoe while turning into the transition area, again the pedal flipped over, I drag the shoe about 10 feet, cant get it flipped back over, and finally get off the bike and run it the last 15 feet.

Running shoes had the elastic ties, so they slipped right on.

unclip my feet and walk it through the transition area, and take off my shoes.

Run
  • 33m 56s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

A hill first thing after you come off the bike ??? Really ?? what kind of sadistic *(^& set this course up. It took about half a mile to get my legs under me.. after the hill. The first mile and a half were butt slow. An old guy on crutches kept yelling "on your left" as he went by. then he'd take a 20 min break and pass me again... The 2nd half of the run was better, only because I didnt die before the finish line.

Run longer, some bike to run transitions might help
Post race
Warm down:

Alot of near blacking out, followed by a few chest compressions, a quick "clear... ok, he's back" then over to the pizza, banana, orange and water and back to the finish line to cheer on the rest of the people coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The 2 hours of sleep I had the night before definitley didnt help, nor did the 3 day business trip just before this (I never sleep well in a hotel), or the concert/beer... okay apparently I did everything I could to make it as hard as possible, because I like a challenge (and I'm stupid).

Event comments:

This being my first race, this was a great time. The people are all genuinely nice, the volunteers, went out of their way to help, the officials helped with friendly advice so those of us that dont have a clue dont get penalized.

The only downer was the weather/mud/rain which is completely out of their control, although they did change the course to keep us out of the worst of it.

Last updated: 2009-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:44 | 300 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/21
Overall: 161/228
Performance: Average
Suit: tri shorts
Course: 25 yard pool.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:52:57 | 14.8 miles | 16.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 112/228
Wind: Some
Course: Old back road, bumpy, mud, water, ewwwww
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:56 | 03.5 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/228
Performance:
Course: moderately hilly through a neighborhood, then along a path, mud and standing water in a couple of places (and I found every damn one)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 4:16 PM

User image

New user
Parker, TX
Subject: Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon

2009-05-04 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2126806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon
Good race especially since you thought that beer is carb loading. Smile  Inquiring minds want to know....did you beat the old guy on crutches?
2009-05-04 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2127735

User image

New user
Parker, TX
Subject: RE: Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon
tmueller - 2009-05-04 6:36 AM Good race especially since you thought that beer is carb loading. Smile  Inquiring minds want to know....did you beat the old guy on crutches?

As embarassing as it is, his heckling got to me the 3rd time he passed me so I had to body check him into the creek while no one was looking... Innocent
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Historic McKinney Kiwanis Triathlon Rss Feed