Multi Race
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 20s
Overall Rank = 17/417
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, drove, Showed up early, around 5:45 or so, a good hour before transition closed, got body marked, timing chip, set up transition.
Event warmup:

Went for a 10 min jog, 35-40 min of stretching and drills (left over from college track) Made my way to the start area when transition closed and waited about 30 min. This i really need to improve upon, i was warmed up and ready to go, but I got cold before the start.
Swim
  • 12m 8s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was terrible. The chop was big, and i never got into a rythem. I started free style and well, ingested a ton of seawater from the chop. I almost threw up in the water right away. Unfortunate, becasue I was looking forward to some intersting times. The swim was parrallel to the shore, so you couldnt catch any waves. Shallow start, lots of seaweed and bumping the whole race. Caught a couple drafts where I could essentially breaststroke and keep right up with the people. I was wayyyyy behind by the turnaround.
What would you do differently?:

More open water practice.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

T1 included a long run (1/4 mile) from exit to transition. Was really pissed about the swim, so decided to hammer down on the bike and see what was left. No problems finding area. ON the way out i got caught in the "single file line area" behind some SLOW people, I was running with the bike until i caught them walking. Really frustrating.

Mounting the bike, this was terrible Easily added 30 seconds to my time on the bike. Need to start to learn to clip better. Ugg.
Bike
  • 35m 5s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Decided to haul the mail on the bike after a terrible swim. I was passed by about 2-3 people of the olympic distance elites. I probably passed about 50-60 people during the bike though. I was flying. The first hill went fine, the second time up was a little harder. Quickly got my feet out of the shoes approaching T2, and had a great dismount into the run.

Need to get a bike computer to monitor speed a little more. I felt like I had more for the bike, so that could bring the average up to maybe 22-22.5?
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Had a great enterence into transition. Got to my rack quickly, looked around while running to the rack and only saw about 10 bikes. I was pumped at that point. A huge improvement during the bike! Got to the rack, and tried to rack my bike with the handlebars. It doesnt work to well. Turn bike around and get shoes on. Off I went.

Need to get some elastic laces Tying shoes in T2 adds alot of time. Oh that and remember which way the bike goes on the rack.
Run
  • 21m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Was doing alright, caught some people in the run and I didnt really know where i was in the field. So, I just told myself to play the pickoff game (get to the next person and pass, and repeat) The run was fairly normal, a little slower than I want (goal is about 20 even)but i ran off course once where A group of not racing triathletes were training and I decided to follow them. Cost my 30-40 seconds EASILY. Ran the last .5 miles with a guy in the 40-44 age group and we decided to push each other. Great fun.

Remember the course a little better. Push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, walk, a little jog, and a lot of stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Remembering the course, My swimming is terrible still.... I thought that i would improve bigtime with some pool workouts, but not so. I just need to train more!

Last updated: 2009-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:08 | 437 yards | 02m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 99/417
Performance: Below average
Suit: Nope, just the tri shorts
Course: An out and back, was way longer than 400 m like was advertised. I wasnt the only one with this comment. Probably about 550 m or so?
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:05 | 12.4 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 11/417
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:51 | 03.1 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 20/417
Performance: Average
Course: Almost marked perfectly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 4:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Sprint

2009-09-04 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2126845

User image

Key West
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Sprint
Dude,I never realized that I was riding with royalty when we hit the navy base. You rocked this race. I know hanging out with the old guys is not cool but we will let you win (all of the time) if you keep this up.Let me know what your goal is for Miami Man.Heat.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Tri Miami - Sprint Rss Feed