General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kenosha, Wisconsin
United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 42m 33s
Overall Rank = 100/500
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 20/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:15, shower, eat a pbj. Go pick up my running buddy Scott and off to Kenosha. Drink some perpetuem and a diet pepsi and a gel.
Event warmup:

Light stretching.
Run
  • 3h 42m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

My marathon buddy Scott F. came with me to serpa me though it. He hurt himself earlier this year running in the snow and has not had full recoveery yet. My goal when I signed up for this race was to have fun and to do an early marathon to build some base for the tri season. I also did not want to have any injuries like I did last year in Rockford. However, I was feeling awesome race morning and started thinking that I could do more with this. I knew that 3:30 was an 8 min/mile pace and I was pretty sure I could hold that for a long time so I set out at an eight min/mile pace and held it as long as I could.

Before the race a guy grabs me. It was a friend of mine named Ian. He is about 24 years old and did his first marathon in Miami earlier this year. About a year ago he was a smoker and about 40lbs heavier. It was awesome to see him. I told him my goal and he told me his, and I thought, "No threat here". :)

This is my 4th marathon. So I am gaining some confidence and experience with the distance. I know it is all about energy conservation and staying relaxed. I also know there will be pain. How much? I don't know.

During the first half I was pacing with some other guys and drafted off of them most of the way. I think they were doing the half because they started to pick it up around mile 8. All of the first half I was able to keep just below pace and came in with a 1:43 split for the half. I was still feeling pretty good. It was nice to run on really flat ground. I am totally not used to this.
At the half we dropped off all the half marathoners and I got to find out who was doing the full. I started pacing with some of these guys through mile 18. I then started to feel like I could pick some of these people off, which I did. Mile 21 I started to feel a little crampy but still OK and holding pace. Mile 22 I saw my friend Ian and realized he had caught up huge on me and he was going to catch me sooner or later.
22.5 is when my left hammy locked up on me. I had to stop and let it relax. I was not able to get to pace again. At this point I started to feel pretty crappy. My stomach was jumping around and I was feeling a bit nausious. The next thing you know I see Scott jumping up and down in middle of the road in front of me. He had run out to pull me in. So he is running with me, giving me encouragement like, "Hey, just think of the cheese and sausage waiting for you at the end of the race.", "is that all you got you p!@#!#y?" Nice, friend. I had to tell him to shut the f up before I clock him one. He said, "yea, let's see ya catch me". I am trying told hold it all together and he wants me to go faster. All the volunteers were telling him how great he looked. I knew I must look like crap because the water station workers were asking me if I was alright. So this is how it went until the end. A whole load of pain. Typical marathon. We were about 400 yards from the finish line and Ian comes flying past me and didn't even look back. I had no kick to follow. Very cool. He got me by 30 seconds! At the finish line the medics were all over me. I was fine though and was wondering why they were so concerned. I later got a look in the mirror to discover that my face was totally covered with salt.

I PR'd by about 13 minutes. Which I am very happy with.

I was shooting for a 3:30 for this race. However I think I should have had a couple more long runs. I know know that I probably can do a 3:30 if I just put the prep work in to get it. I just didn't have enough endurance in my legs.
What would you do differently?:

Train a bit more.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried not to puke. Walked a bunch and tried to stretch. The wind was blowing 30+ at this point so it was more like trying to keep warm.

Event comments:

Great race. Great venue. Probably will do it next year.

Last updated: 2009-01-27 12:00 AM
Running
03:42:33 | 26.2 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 20/500
Performance: Good
HR was very good with 8 min/mile pace through mile 21. Don't know after that.
Course: Very flat up and down and up Lake Michigan shoreline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-03 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon

2009-05-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2126874

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon
Wow - a thirteen minute PR is a huge improvement. Great job David!
2009-05-04 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran

Nice race!  Congrats on the PR!!! 

2009-05-04 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race, nice work on the 30s/mile PR!  That is huge.  With the way you swim and bike, IMWI will not be able to stop you.  It may be able to contain you, but it won't stop you
2009-05-04 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Great Job!   Congrats on the PR, they get easier as you do more (or so they say) You didn't say what refueling strategy you used on the course.   Any gel packs (Hammer gel) or salt tablets (Hammer Endurolytes)?  Covered with salt, it sounds as though you were sweating a ton.   I ran the half and in a short sleeve Craft base layer top and gloves, i was sweating profusely. 

Again - Awesome job on the race.   How did you like the course?  I thought the half was ok, even though we had to double back at the turn around when you guys went straight.  They did a good job for first year race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wisconsin Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed