General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: open water swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-11 9:27 AM

User image

Buttercup
Subject: Reality Check: open water swim

Went to an open water swim clinic Saturday morning off Clearwater Beach (Gulf Coast). Coach Matt (Tri3 Racing) had us do a light jog to warm up, stretch, then instructed on dolphining into/over the waves. We practiced this in the water a couple of times then we did a swim.

The water was cold but it wasn't as bad as I imagined it might be (swimsuit only). No shivering or discomfort at all. Visibility was terrible; I could see a foot in front of me only when I was about 8 inches from it. The waves were rough; it was very chopping. I was swimming forward quite a bit without actually moving forward (waves kept sending me back or keeping me in place). I was pleased with my ability to breath and not take in water even during adverse conditions.

Coach Matt said if we could swim in those waters, we should have no problem in our tri as 99% of the time the water will be much calmer than what it was Saturday morning, and the distance was only a little bit further than what we swam. Also, discovered that April waters were not so cold that I need a wetsuit.

I learned that I am more than ready for the swim portion and am going to focus my training on running for the next 6 weeks, along with getting comfortable on the road bike. I'm glad I did the clinic because I faced my fears and realized I could handle the swim during my May triathlon.

Oh, and I wasn't attacked by any sharks.

I know everyone always says this and I'm going to give it a hearty second: I highly recommend that you get in an open water swim if only to assess where you are in your training and what you need to work on for your tri.

2005-04-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: #140910

User image

Subject: RE: Reality Check: open water swim
Hi Renee, thanks for the report- I've been looking for a place to get in some open water swimming before 5/22. I'll look a little harder now... BTW- do you actually get any work done while your'e at work?
2005-04-11 10:58 AM

Master
Boston
Thanks for the open water swim report! I feel much better about the swimming part for St. Anthony's. I'm glad the water is warm enough to not need a wetsuit...cause I don't have one!
2005-04-11 11:15 AM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Just FYI on the wetsuit, even when the water's warm enough to do without, almost everyone will wear them as long as it's allowed. It really does help you swim faster with less effort, so you save your strength for the bike and run. My swim times came down significantly when I started wearing one. A lot of places will rent them pretty cheap, especially near beaches.
2005-04-11 12:14 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
right on. good for you, renee! great to know you can focus more of your energies on the bike and run.

i'm in the same boat on the wetsuit. i grew up swimming in lake superior, so i don't mind the cold. maybe i should borrow one and see how it feels.
2005-04-11 1:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Gardner KS (near Kansas City)
I'm looking for an open water practice as well - east central Kansas lake are not quite warm enuf yet - but I need to practice in my wetsuit cause I hear the Memphis Oly 5/22 may be a little iffy on suits or not, can change from one day to the next-

2005-04-11 8:37 PM

Renee,

Will Matt have another one anytime soon? Does he have a scheduled cycle for this or is it just intermitent? I have been practicing at the "Y" this past week and want to wait a few weeks before trying the open water swim.

What Tri are you doing in Fla?

Karen
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reality Check: open water swim Rss Feed