General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 44m 46s
Overall Rank = 21091/35000
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11653/
Pre-race routine:

Stayed with my sister (she was running with me), just outside Indianapolis. In the morning, ate a banana, quadruple-checked my Gu's, bib, chip. I decided to ditch my water-bottle in the van on the ride over. There were going to be MILLIONS of water stations... why carry extra crap. Discovered my ipod had been running the whole night, so THAT wasn't going to be very helpful. (I wanted to log that time through nikeplus, but I guess that's not all that important, anyway). It's difficult being nervous when you have hundreds of beach-balls bouncing around in the start area before a race. :)
Event warmup:

It was kinda cold, and we weren't sure if we were going to get rained on, so our families didn't plan on standing around in the rain, waiting for us. My brother-in-law dropped us off a few blocks from our start-corral. Our warm-ups included walking 2-3 blocks to the start, and then standing around, with some mild stretching. GO TEAM!
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

We planned to run/walk our first try at the mini. We started off running the first 3 miles, walked a bit, ran 2 miles... walked, then planned to walk about 30 seconds after every mile after that.

calves were threatening to fall off at mile 11... had LOTS of walking mixed in with very short running bits. Finally went off to side and stretched calves. That seemed to help, and we could finally run the last half mile "normally".
What would you do differently?:

Log a higher volume of miles in preparation. The run felt AWESOME, up until the last 2 miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, walked to car (Dad, brother, and brother-in-law met us at the finish), ate the race food (apples, bananas, chips, cookies, water, gatorade)

Kept periodically stretching once we got to sister's house. Walked to the park with kids

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being slow was a major factor in my not being faster. If I could only kick the habit of being slow, I think that would help a lot.

Plus, if I weighed about 20 lbs less, that would certainly help.

Although I've been running a ton more than I ever thought I would, I don't think I really was physically prepared for the full 13 miles. Next year, I need to make sure I get in a few 10 mile runs minimally to get my legs ready.

Event comments:

We didn't stay long at the after-race festival. There was lots of stuff, but we essentially got our food, found our family, and hit the road. Legs were too dead to want to stay and party. Plus our kids were waiting at home, ready to pamper their parents. (haha... that was funny for me)

All in all, great time. I thought this was going to be a "one and done" race, but I'm seriously considering doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2009-02-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/35000
Performance: Good
5-mile - 1:01:36 10-mile - 2:01:40
Course: Not very hilly. The middle 2.5 miles were actually ON the Indianapolis Motor Speedway!! I heard that was the worst part, but I thought it was awesome! There were plenty of water and gatorade stations. Several "Pit Stop" stations with port-o-potties (always a line). Thousands of volunteers. Thousands of people cheering. Countless bands playing music along the way. It was super-cool
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

2009-05-05 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2127790

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: RE: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
Nice work, Erik!  I've always wanted to do this race.

Oh, and we'll help you lick that slow habit this summer...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed