pabikeracing
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 56m 54s
Overall Rank = 21/37
Age Group = Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 6/13
Pre-race routine:

Decided to make a weekend with the whole family for a sub hour (hopefully) race.

Drove up Saturday morning, stopped in Easton, PA to go to the Crayola factory, kids had a blast. Went out to a cool alehouse right next to the Crayola factory and had a few beers, then off to the hotel.
Event warmup:

Drove from hotel to Frenchtown, NJ. LOL, we didn't know exactly where to go once we got to Frenchtown, saw someone else with a TT bike on their car and followed them around (they were lost also...) Asked for directions and found the parking lot.

Had some PB on Bagel on way over and a Gel before the start. Got the trainer out and warmed up (turned out to be not quite enough). Kids were excited because they brought noise makers, cow bells, etc to cheer people on.
Bike
  • 56m 54s
  • 21.8 miles
  • 22.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Mental note. If you pay a few hundred bucks to get fit, don't use knowledge you gained from reading forums to adjust your fit to something you think is better.

My basebar came loose last week at Worldgate so since I was messing in that area anyways I decided to take out 1/2 the spacers that Seth put in (we argued about it at the time). I did ride at least 50 miles on the trainer with this setup (including helmet) to test out the fit but never had time to get out on the street with it.

I read that you should get in some good intervals on the trainer beforehand and also to not go out too hard. Well guess I didn't get enough in on the trainer and I maxed my HR in probably the first 500M.

About 4-5 miles in I could barely keep my head up my neck was so sore. My lower back started to hurt about a mile later and after the 1/2 way point my lower midsection wasn't happy on the seat.

Got passed by 3-4 guys, never passed the guy directly in front of me though I had him in my sights the whole time on the way out.

Pretty much suffered the whole ride, based on last week at worldgate where I avg'd 22mph for 18mi after a swim, running through transition, clipping in + not having my big ring for about 1/2 mile and a course that had some mild hills I was hoping for 24+ on this course but it just wasn't going to happen. Just didn't feel good, heavy legs, bad position, whine, whine, whine... At the end just wanted to be off the bike.

Want to go back and try this again either after I go back to my original fit or get this one dialed in.

Overall after 2 races there I have the 8th fastest out of 21 in Cat 5 there.

Times
OUT: 26:59 23.6MPH
BACK: 29:55 22.3MPH
TOTAL:56:54 22.9MPH

What would you do differently?:

Not change my fit, warm up better.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and pretzel, packed up and headed to our next destination, Longwood gardens.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

Fun race, very low key compared to Tri's and running races.

Last updated: 2009-03-04 12:00 AM
Biking
00:56:54 | 21.8 miles | 22.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/13
Overall: 21/37
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat 10.7 mile out and flat 11.1 mile back. Ride on Shoulder except where it was a bit rough.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: NJ Route 29 36 KM TT(T)

2009-05-04 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2127891

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
Subject: RE: NJ Route 29 36 KM TT(T)
Wow, nice job.  Though I'd have to agree with you, tweaking your bike right before a race (especially after a fit) probably wasn't the ideal thing to do Cool
2009-05-04 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2127891

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: NJ Route 29 36 KM TT(T)
Great job on your TT!

I like TT but warm up is huge thing for them. Changing bike set up before long TT not good..I changed my saddle before an Oly last year ouch that was painful. We learn from our mistakes.

TTs are wicked fun and very different than tris but hurt all in a good way.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NJ Route 29 36 KM TT(T) Rss Feed