FIRM
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 53s
Overall Rank = 141/183
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/11
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 5AM (was woken three additional times between 4AM and 5AM by my 3 year-old), Started coffee, showered, ate a Weight Watchers 220 calorie egg/ham/cheese/muffin sandwich, packed up (brought another sandwich to eat at 7AM and Extreme Beans to eat 15 minutes prior to the race start) and I was off to the race. I had to make one pit stop on account of nerves :P Left the house at 6:30, arrived at the race at about 7:30.
Event warmup:

I set up my area, met some awesome BT-ers (thanks for the warm welcome, guys!), Jogged around for about 8 minutes, stretched a lot, jumped in the pool for a lap before we were ushered out (I loved that moment...I felt great in the beautiful Boys and Girls Club pool. SUCH a nice facility. This race was very well organized and so welcoming to newbies. At beans 15 minutes before the start. Chatted with #s 60 and 61 while I awaited my time to be in the pool (staggered starts every 20 seconds). People were very helpful in terms of answering questions, etc.
Swim
  • 05m 30s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I could really see how much my mind plays with me during races here. Right before my third flip-turn under a lane divider I told myself "I'm going to get lost on one of these flip turns...", and what do you know? I scrambled a bit right after that thought came.
What would you do differently?:

Tighten my tri-shorts! The back kept bowing out and water pulled on me in much the same way as the Coppertone girl's pants were being pulled by that little puppy! Also, my exit from the pool could have been more graceful...I basically rolled out of the pool! But I must say I felt very part-of and hardcore running for the first time, soaking wet, to hop on my bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was probably only my fifth or sixth time being on my new bike, so I'm proud of my clipping in.

I wonder if I should have Yankz for my cycling shoes? Also, I must have gone dumb for a second because I actually paused to straighten my cycling sock logo! I guess vanity dies hard :)
Bike
  • 30m 38s
  • 9 miles
  • 17.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I misunderstood one of the volunteers and almost went careening off course. I missed it by a mere foot or so but was able to get my head back in the game quickly.

Listen closely when a volunteer directs me!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Getting off the bike at a run was shocking and difficult but I was able to gather myself up and take some breaths and soldier on.

Practice running dismounts from my bike.
Run
  • 36m 45s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I could have run harder. Now that I know this I'm ready to push it at my next tri.

Not listen to anyone but the volunteers when planning my course strategies!
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched a lot, ate a Lara bar and some watermelon. Drank a lot of water with Nuun in it, tried on and bought a wetsuit (was amazed at how I cramped when trying that on! I took a nap later that afternoon and my husband went grocery shopping for me :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My running skills need improvement.

Event comments:

This was an AWESOME first race venue. I am so thankful to the Ludlow Boys and Girls Club for putting this on. I will remember my first tri forever.

Last updated: 2009-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:30 | 300 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 84/183
Performance: Average
My watch said 5:19
Suit: Wore BT Tri Shorts and
Course: 12 Laps up and down a lovely 6-lane pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:38 | 09 miles | 17.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 93/183
Performance: Good
This ride felt great. Very well marked course with plenty of volunteers and warnings for sharp turns. I was surprised how great this portion of the race felt. And wow...I actually passed people!
Wind: Some
Course: Nice rolling hills course in the beginning, flatter near the end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:45 | 03 miles | 12m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 141/183
Performance: Below average
I think this included T2?? I started off running VERY slow and some people passed me but I was OK with that. I was quite happy, actually. I cheered people on as they passed. One woman yelled to me near the end (when I had finally reached a really nice pace...more like 10 min/mile) "just two more laps!" and I was shocked and slowed down thinking I had a ways to go. Turns out she was perhaps doing the duathlon or was just confused or maybe even evil. The finish line was straight ahead!
Course: Mostly flat, some small hills. Very nice side roads and shaded streets.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 10:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Sheriff's Sprint Triathlon

2009-05-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2128288

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Sheriff's Sprint Triathlon
Great job!

Your first 50 was under 40 seconds as the 2nd person behind you was just about to start.

They did have a ladder to get out of the pool...I saw you finish and thought she is one tough tri chick!

Super job in your first tri! I'm so happy you had an awesome time.

Congrats!
2009-05-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2129066

User image

Veteran
Kathy - You are awesome and such an inspiration! Thank you for your words and I hope to see you again at future tri's!
2009-05-07 10:15 AM

Master

Hey!  Great job at your first tri....and I'm glad you had fun!  When's the next one?

2009-05-09 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

Just caugt up to your race report, nice goin'!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sheriff's Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed