General Discussion Race Reports! » Nanticoke River Swim and Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nanticoke River Swim and Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bivalve, Maryland
United States
Nanticoke River Swim and Triathlon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 46s
Overall Rank = 9/228
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/28
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5, took the dog out, put the bike on the car rack and on the road by 5:20. I had packed everything the night before into the car, and I was racing very simple so not a lot of stuff.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site, registered, set up my transition and talked with some local guys I knew from around home. Saw them setting up the swim portion (they also had a straight 1/2 mile swim and a 3 mile swim event). After the little kids tri they let us splash around a bit to get used to the water and I swam out about 100 yards and turned around. Then waited for our wave to go off. Gu ROctane gel with some Gu20 with 45 minutes and 15 minutes to go before the race (usual pre-race stuff).
Swim
  • 14m 54s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Got in the water about 2 rows back from the front. My wave was men 25 - 39 and the 1/2 mile swimmers (there were only about a dozen of them). At the horn I let some of the front runners go as I walked a few steps then started my swim. I injured my shoulder doing something different in the pool back in like February and my swimming has been almost non-existent since then as a result until the last few weeks. Also, the last two open water swim tris I've been in had cancelled swims, so this was my first open water swim since Lake Placid last July (sheesh, just realized that!).

And all of that showed in my swim. All over the course (which is pathetic since it was an out and back), terrible sighting, never got into any sort of rhythm and generally crappy swim. Just glad it wasn't longer as I really would have lost time. Coming out of the water I decided to take my suit off there and run with it instead of stripping it on the run up to the bike. That would have made my swim split about 45 seconds or so faster. Not that it would have made much of a difference. I was still back of the pack for my wave regardless.
What would you do differently?:

Not have a shoulder injury that kept me out of the water for almost 2 months? Get more swim training so I don't suck??
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I actually took my suit off before I crossed the timing mat for the swim. It was a long run from there to the bike (I racked it right at the bike in/out spot so it was the furthest from the water). Considering I already had my suit off before crossing the swim mat, this should have been faster. Since I was right near the bike in/out I just put my shoes on there and not on teh bike (not too mention it was slick on the roads even though the rain held off until after I finished the race).

Maybe just go ahead and wear the suit all the way to the transition spot. Would have cut down on my swim split and I may have acutally been a little faster overall since the suit got stuck on my right foot. Not the best transition, but not bad.
Bike
  • 36m 37s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 24.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike and was tentative as to how I would feel. After my disaster last week (had absolutely zero energy, couldn't stay in my aero position and all around terrible race which I dropped out of eventually) I didn't know what to expect. But energy levels felt good, it was a flat course and I was pissed about my swim and wanted to catch up to everyone that beat me.

I had adjusted my position about a month ago and haven't ridden the bike much. I dropped the nose of the saddle a hair (to almost dead level where as I usually have it slightly pointed up) because I altered my handlebar position and I was trying to keep my angles even. Well, I spent the whole race never quite comfortable and always pushing myself back in the saddle as it kept feeling like I was sliding forward. I know I lost time doing that.

At the turn around I counted about 5 or 6 ahead of me. It never felt like we had any sort of tailwind and it was definitely a headwind or 3/4 headwind on the way out. I caught one of the guys about 2 miles after the turnaround and had my sights on the next one, but he was about a 1/4 mile down the road and I was barely creeping up on him. Then I couldn't see anyone after him even though I knew there were a few more. finally caught him and went by. Not long after that felt someone coming up on ME! That is a pretty rare thing ........ He passed, and I stayed back in his legal draft until the finish. He started in the wave after me and is a super fish (local guy to me who always places high in his AG in even big races). His swim alone was almost 5 minutes faster than mine but our bike and run splits were fairly close. He and i came into transition together and it was on to the run.

I know I could have pushed it harder on the return leg, but with only one person in sight ahead of me I just wasn't forcing the pace like I could have. It is a sprint race ..... there was no reason to be blaze about it! And adjust my frickin' saddle!! Pushing myself back so much on the saddle definitely cost me some time as I never settled in!
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Not my best. Got out of my shoes too early. Then a car came into the parking lot and blocked the guy who passed me and I so we had to come to almost a complete stop. Then because it was slick and a little curvy I didn't swing my leg over the bike until I was stopped. All that really counts on the bike time, but it was really part of T2 to me.

Be more aggressive. I could have been out of there a lot quicker than this even with my long run to the "run out" spot.
Run
  • 19m 4s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Average run. Didn't feel as hard as it could have been. Just settled into a comfortably hard pace and let it go. Caught one person from my wave (younger guy though) but otherwise held position. Should have been more aggressive as there were 3 guys (the one who passed me on the bike and two others that started in my wave) that I could have picked off if I had just pushed a little more in the last mile.

Not bad, not great. I can run better than this and never felt like I was on the edge like I should be in this sort of distance. Like the bike, a blaze run.
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with some of the other finishers, put some stuff away at my transition spot, got some regular clothes on, got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time in the water (or lack of) and a sort of "Myeh, whatever" attitude on the bike after I had caught a lot of people and on the run.

Oh, and I raced this race entirely "blind" for the first time ever. No watch and planned on just using cadence on the bike, which was just fine since my wheel sensor on the disc came untaped and fell off in the car. It was a little weird looking at my wrist all the time before the race and not seeing a watch, but it was perfectly fine in the race.

Event comments:

I heard this was only the second year for the race. Well organized, good post race stuff, really cool "medal" for finishers (laser cut custom metalwork by local artisan) and a nice easy flat course. I'd recommend the race.

Last updated: 2008-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:54 | 800 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 116/228
Performance: Bad
None
Suit: Desoto Black Pearl
Course: Out and back in the boat channel.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:37 | 15.2 miles | 24.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 3/228
None.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back pretty much with a few turns. Headwind most of the way and it seemed to change directions. Never felt like I had a tailwind.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:04 | 03 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/28
Overall: 10/228
None
Course: Out and back with an extra lollipop near the finish. Definitely wasn't a 5k. They have it listed a 3 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 10:33 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Nanticoke River Swim and Triathlon

2009-05-04 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2128374

User image

Veteran
DC
Subject: RE: Nanticoke River Swim and Triathlon
Thanks! You did great!! We watched the last runners come in after I finished. I felt a little left out to have been basically by myself for the past 2 hours while this whole big even was going on.

I'm considering a tri next. I loaded 3 or 4 that fit my summer schedule and have enough time for me to train for (starting now), just so I can find them again. I'm only going to do one of them, but I'm leaning toward the VA Beach in Sept. Longer swim, shorter run, and a bike in the middle. Plus probably won't need a wet suit for that time of year, there!! It's just a sprint distance, and I won't get my bike until this weekend. But as iffy as this one went, I'm not put off the idea of a tri.

Did you start w/ tris? or Running? I will only ever be able to run enough to get by, but I really enjoyed having something to train for. Anyway congratulations - and you're right! THe medals are great!! I had no idea I would be so excited about getting a medal!!  But it's kind of cool! Thanks for the comment. I'm sort of looking for feedback on if people's first races went badly or well (compared to their training). I'm realizing that the training is the whole valuable part. BUt w/o an event to train for I'd just go to the gym for 30-45 min. I'd never challenge myself.
2009-05-04 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race!  Podium is Podium.  Now go work on that swim, will make your blaze bike/runs not feel so blaze
2009-05-04 11:31 AM
in reply to: #2128482

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
asgate99 - 2009-05-04 12:09 PM Did you start w/ tris? or Running?

I ran x-country my Jr. and Sr. years of high school, then went into the military where we had to run, then got into cycling.  After getting out of the military I completely stopped running and focusing on cycling.  Was an amateur road racer for a few years (local team) while in undergrad.  Then go married, put on a lot of weight and got sick of myself and got back into cycling and running.  Then I took up swimming so that I could do a tri (first one I did back in '92 before getting out of the military - next one was 13 years later and was a half ironman).  Since then I've done 2 ironman races and a bunch of other stuff.
2009-05-04 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
shenandoah valley

Nice job on getting back on the 'horse' after du nats.

2009-05-04 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice job out there and congrats on the top 10 OA! Great bike split.

2009-05-04 8:12 PM

New user
Delaware
Great job considering the bad swim! It was a good race and a nice warmup before Eagleman. I need to sign up for Pocomoke Tri.
2009-05-05 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Hope you get some time in the pool before Columbia. But gadzucks 24.91 mph screaming. I have been sliding forward in my saddle too. Found out my areo bars had rotated down much better now. But I am sure you already knew that stuff.
2009-05-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2130658

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
My stem/bars are a one piece unit.  They have no adjustments available and can't even move.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nanticoke River Swim and Triathlon Rss Feed