Regina Multisport Club
15C / 59F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 26s
Overall Rank = 47/89
Age Group = W40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6. Tried to remember what I like to do for a race day morning. Ate a little oatmeal and a banana, and drank some tea. Still sleepy, I bumbled around, getting my stuff organized. Got to the race site about 7:45, dropped off my bike and got registered. Then set up my transition area. Then to the athlete's meeting.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. The athlete's meeting ended at 8:45, transition closed at 9:00, and my heat started at 9:40. I would have liked to do a little spin to warm up my legs, but there wasn't time.

Got in the warm up pool around 9:25 and swam a few minutes.
Swim
  • 15m 9s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

The pool was very warm. I was in a lane with 5 other folks.

My swim was pretty close to my expected time. I didn't push too hard. My lane mates and I were pretty even, so we swapped the lead quite a few times. I took the lead for the last 200 and finished strong.

This wasn't my best swim, but I was pleased with the result based on the training I've put in this year.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. About half-way through, I was leading and someone was persistently tapping my feet, so I let everyone pass (they were all together), then I progressed back to the front over the next few laps. Next time I might not let everyone go, just the one.
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I fiddled with putting on my socks and my bike jersey. I had a hint of a blister on the back of my foot, so going sockless didn't seem like a good idea this early in the year; the temperature was cool enough that I thought a jersey would be useful (plus I feel faster in that jersey).

Practice transitions more. Maybe not worry about the fast jersey, even if the temps are cool.
Bike
  • 40m
  • 20 kms
  • 30.00 km/hr
Comments:

I had a good bike. Since this was only my third ride outside, I didn't push myself too hard.

The organizers did a great job of sweeping the course, but there wasn't much they could do about the potholes and cracks except mark them. I took the turns carefully and mostly focused on the road, to safely traverse the course.

I kept a good cadence - mostly light and fast - and I felt strong.

I love my tri bike. :)

More outside riding!
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

Post riding brain haze meant I couldn't remember how to undo my tri shoes. (The Velcro opens on the other side compared to my road bike shoes.) Once I got that figured out, I was okay.

As above: practice transitions more.
Run
  • 29m 57s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 59s  min/km
Comments:

Legs were sluggish at the start of the run, and my lower back reminded me that I haven't been in aero position much this winter. But I eventually got into a groove.

I got passed more than I passed others, so I tried to "draft" of the runners who passed me, if only for a few steps. That helped me remember to keep up my run cadence and to push a bit harder.

I ran a negative split! Again, I was pleased with the result based on the training I've put in this year.

Practice more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Fruit and water at the finish, a little bit of stretching, then taking my bike, etc. back to the car. Helped with some of the course take-down - the racks in transition, and some of the snow fencing. Then off to the athlete's lunch and awards. Happy that two of the athletes I helped coach with cycling classes this winter were top male and female finishers (more due to their natural talent than my coaching). And pleasantly surprised that fellow BTer NLG was second female overall!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited training, lack of sleep, and a hint of a cold. And an unseasonably cold spring.

Event comments:

RMC puts on a great race. Well organized and great volunteers.

Results available here:
http://www.resultscanada.com/results2009/2009_IceBreakerTriathlon/2009_IceBreakerTriathlon.htm

Last updated: 2009-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:09 | 750 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 46/89
Performance: Good
Suit: tri shorts and tri top
Course: Pool swim (25m pool)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:00 | 20 kms | 30.00 km/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 29/89
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4x 5km loop around the U of R and research park.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:57 | 05 kms | 05m 59s  min/km
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 69/89
Performance: Average
Course: From the university onto the Wascana path, to Douglas Park Road, up the big hill for the turn around, then back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes