United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 31s
Overall Rank = 83/377
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/42
Pre-race routine:

I picked up my packet and packed my transition bag on Saturday. I woke up Sunday Morning @ 04:40, and ate one of the free orange power bars--not bad if you like orange chalk. I drank a cup of coffee and sipped on some G'ade while I drove to meet my friend Kevin. Once we arrived at the race site the transition set up and chip pick up was routine.
Event warmup:

Ran about 15 minutes w/ a couple of pickups, biked about 10-15 minutes, and swam about 200 yards.
Swim
  • 16m 2s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start of the race had the typical jostling for position and bumping. Everyone seemed to spread out fairly quickly and I was never beat on too bad. The water wasn't as rough as last year, but there were constant rollers as we were going out for the first 250 meters, and it felt like their was a current pushing us to the left of the first buoy. Once we made the turn at the first buoy it was pretty much uneventful. I got out of the water in 15:13. It didn't feel like it took me 45 seconds to run up the boat ramp to the swim mat but I guess it did.
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to feakin swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I think this was one of the fastest wet suit transitions I've ever had. I ran in to transition, stripped my suit, buckled my helmet, and ran out with my bike without any fumbling. Once out of transition I jumped on my bike and started pedaling on top of my shoes. I probably didn't completely cinch down my shoes until about the 1/2 mile point.

When I got out of the water I pulled my swim cap and googles off first. I should have left the cap and goggles on so I didn't have to fumble around with extra stuff in my hands.
Bike
  • 44m 22s
  • 16 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride for me. I purposefully held off the throttle during the first part of the race. I knew there were some rolling hills coming out of the park and I didn't want to overtax my legs too early. During the ride I passed a 26 year old guy on every hill, he would then pass me on every down hill or flat section. We never drafted but we rode this way throughout the bike leg. During the Olympic distance race last week I only drank 1/2 bottle of G'ade and really paid for it on the run. This week I drank a whole bottle of G'ade and took a gel @ the half way point of the bike leg. Much better!

Push a little harder towards the end of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

I forgot to loosen up my lock laces after I warmed up before the race. That made it a little challenging to stuff my feet into my shoes.

loosen up my laces.
Run
  • 22m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt pretty good coming off the bike. The 26 year old (turns out his name was Eric) and I ran out of transition together. He pulled slightly out ahead of me and basically that's how we ran for the rest of the race. I have only gone sub 22 in a 5k once in my life and that was a non-tri 5k. This was my fastest tri 5k to date.

Keep working on my bricks. I probably should have taken another gel towards the end of the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Mulled around talking with friends. Drank a coke and ate some oranges. After we left the race Kevin, Billy, and I hit Wild Wings Cafe for a celebratory beverage and Chicken Sandwich.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to work on swimming technique. I need to get both transitions under 1 minute. I probably should have pushed a little harder on the bike towards the end. I should have taken a gel towards the end of the bike.

Event comments:

This was the third time I have done this race. Today's race was a 5 min PR and overall I was pleased.

Last updated: 2009-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:02 | 820 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/42
Overall: 120/377
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra
Course: Counter clockwise diamond
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:44:22 | 16 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/42
Overall: 72/377
Wind: Some
Course: Kind of like a clockwise lolli-pop with rolling hills. Most of the roads were smooth, but there were some rough surfaces at various points.
Road:   Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:11 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/377
Course: Out and back loop through the state park campground. The course had rolling hills and was shaded.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-04 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
SC
Subject: Lake Murray Triathlon

2009-05-04 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2128604

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Lake Murray Triathlon
Awesome improvement!  And sweet T1!!
2009-05-04 12:35 PM

User image

great race improvements - if that water wasn't bad i would have hated to see last year.
Great run!
2009-05-04 1:03 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Way to go on the run!  Nice race.
2009-05-05 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Sounds like you had a great race! Well done

A 5min PR is awesome! You are going to have a great season!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Murray Triathlon Rss Feed