Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 4h 35m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

As my first marathon I didn't have a good strategy for pacing myself and I ended up running with two other runners who paced themselves 20 minutes faster than my 13 mile split. I went out way too hard on the first 13 and my hamstrings wouldn't cooperate the last 13. While it wasn't the end of the world it definitely took a toll on me mentally and I struggled from mile 15-19.
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself better. I felt great running the first 13 but didn't realize that I was going at a faster pace than I needed to for the second half. I would also have done more strength and hill training to handle the rolling hills of this marathon course.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

As my first marathon I didn't have a good strategy for pacing myself and I ended up running with two other runners who paced themselves 20 minutes faster than my 13 mile split. I went out way too hard on the first 13 and my hamstrings wouldn't cooperate the last 13.

Event comments:

It's a small race so don't expect the pomp and circumstance of a Boston Marathon but it's very nice non-competitive race to do, especially with a friend. The area is beautiful but with minimal fans and deep woods, the course gets very lonely and makes it tougher to push through the walls. Overall a very good small race.

Last updated: 2009-05-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:35:00 | 26.2 miles | 10m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course was rolling hills the whole way. Nothing too steep but the constant up and down does a number on your legs. Water stations every mile or 1.5 miles was nice. Highly wooded areas and minimal fans make it lonely out in the middle miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes