General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbs are evil - Carbs are not evil! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-11 3:06 PM

Subject: Carbs are evil - Carbs are not evil!
Ok so this post will probably be more of a vent for me, I've vented to my coach, I've vented to my naturopath, I've vented to my friend Steve, but clearly I'm not finished venting as I'm posting

I saw my naturopathic doctor on the weekend. I had been tracking my food and wanted to show it to her, b/c over the last 6 months of training I have not lost a pound. In fact, I even went up, I'm about 13 pounds heavier than where I started back in October.

Net net, she wants me to cut out all starchy carbs: pasta, rice, breads, potoatoes etc. All my carbs are to only come from fruits, vegetables & high-protein grains like quinoa. I've eaten this way before (and had success) and she believes it will work again. Her reason for this is that starchy carbs increase my insulin and when that happens my body goes into storage mode.

Like I said, I've done this before so I know it works, but I also wasn't training 10-12 hours a week before either. I shared this news with my coach last night. He's very good in supporting me in trying this, although he finds it totally contradicts what your body needs, which is carbs, for the training. The $hitty thing is, as a result of this change in diet, I now have to do all base, low intensity training, and/or keep my HR no higher than mid 140's (zone 3). No more intense intervals like in spin class which I LOVE. BORING!

I feel like with this change in training, I'm losing a huge part of what it means to me, to be an ahtlete. I don't expect anyone to understand, no one seems to have understood until now, but I just needed to vent. Thank you for reading.

2005-04-11 3:21 PM
in reply to: #141141

Subject: RE: Carbs are evil - Carbs are not evil!
Why would you need to go lower intensity??? I spin, and eat a diet like you describe. I think as long as you get your good carbs from grains, whole wheat bread, beans, etc...you should be ok to do your spinning classes. I actually "spin" tonight, and I've eaten under 25 carbs for the day so far...

Unless you're doing the "induction" phase of Atkins, I might advise a lower intensity program, but I think if you have weight to lose, your body has to get to its fat stores first....and the only way to do this is by lowering the carbs (not omitting them, but just lowering them) If you intake 150 carbs, for example (which many "athlete" diets suggest) you will be burning carbs...but it'll take more time to get to your fat stores. Athletes who are already at their prime weights, can AFFORD to take in more carbs, because they are strictly using the carbs/glycogen for energy.

And...I actually do understand. But...I really don't think you need to change the intensity of your workouts because of a diet change. I'd see how you feel before you alter your workouts...just my thoughts. Good luck!
2005-04-11 3:25 PM
in reply to: #141156

>I think as long as you get your good carbs from grains, whole wheat bread, beans, etc...you should be ok to do your spinning classes. I actually "spin" tonight, and I've eaten under 25 carbs for the day so far...

This is what I'm having a hard time with, she said no whole wheat bread, no grains,no cereal etc.
2005-04-11 3:28 PM
in reply to: #141159

so you are pretty much doing "induction" phase of Atkins? Did she say how many carbs per day??
2005-04-11 3:30 PM

you write--over the last six months you have not lost a pound...but you're up 13 pounds? I jsut want to make sure I understand your post correctly.

What's your average daily calorie intake?
2005-04-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: #141161

>so you are pretty much doing "induction" phase of Atkins? Did she say how many carbs per day??

no she didn't, she doesn't count calories or carbs

2005-04-11 4:45 PM
in reply to: #141218

Hmmm....that's interesting...I'm not sure what to make of it, but I can almost guarantee that you'll see some weight loss, if not a lot, in a short amount of time by omitting bread, pasta, rice and potatoes....

But, ultimately...calories in and calories out is the name of the game. But, I do see the benefits of a lower carb diet, for sure.

Visit the site:
www.lowcarbeating.com

It's a great site for low carbers, and will lessen your fears about working out at intense levels, while low carbing.
2005-04-11 4:53 PM
in reply to: #141225

>www.lowcarbeating.com

Thanks for the link to the site and your thoughts, they are appreciated.
Ironically, I just talked to my naturopath to ask her about the intensity aspect, and she thinks I'll be fine as well.

This week is recovery week, so I'll have no problem eating the no breads, pasta etc. this week.
What I'd like to do is try this next week when I'm back to my regular training with no change to my intensities, as a test. But I don't think my coach will agree. And it's his spin class that I go to that's intense with intervals, so he'll know if I'm not following his orders
2005-04-11 8:30 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
I think the switch for carb source is a good idea. I've done ( and still do ) pretty much the same thing. I avoid processed grains and starches as much as possible. When I do have grains and starches it is to refuel after a long workout ( or to prepare for one ).

Fruits and other pulpy foods have a higher fiber content as well, which is good for getting more fiber into your diet. Not to mention all the other nutrients found in fresh fruits/veggies, that aren't in processed foods.

As to doing lower intensity work, I don't find that a problem. Every training day isn't a race, so you don't need to be going race speeds for every workout. Yes, you'll be going slower, but you're still improving cardio vascular fitness and you'll still go faster on race day. Most of my training is in zone1/zone2, FWIW.

Stick in there, don't fret too much.

-Chris
2005-04-11 11:14 PM
in reply to: #141353

Thanks for sharing your experiences Chris. Today was my first full day of no starchy carbs. Had a bit of a headache near the end of the day, think it's because I hadn't eaten enough, although it felt like I ate all day. I never really felt full, always a bit hungry, but I think I did ok. According to fitday.com, my breakdown is:

Total Calories: 2056
Fat: 98g 879
Carbs: 141g 455
Protein: 181g, 722

That fat is a bit high because I didn't select the right salad dressing. That's an easy fix, but all-in-all, not bad.

2005-04-12 8:55 AM
in reply to: #141426

Toronto_Tri_Gal - 2005-04-11 11:14 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences Chris. Today was my first full day of no starchy carbs. Had a bit of a headache near the end of the day, think it's because I hadn't eaten enough, although it felt like I ate all day. I never really felt full, always a bit hungry, but I think I did ok. According to fitday.com, my breakdown is:

Total Calories: 2056
Fat: 98g 879
Carbs: 141g 455
Protein: 181g, 722

Good morning! I think the carbs are still a little on the high side. Try to hover under the 100 mark...and I think you'll see the difference, and of course, that will mean less calories, probably some of your calories are coming from the carbs. The "hunger" you're feeling is your brain's "search" for those starchy carbs that you crave. In a few days, those "pangs" will dissipate, and you'll be feeling a lot more energy. I wish you luck--leaving behind starchy carbs is tough at first, but you'll see the weight drop off quicker, in the beginning, I think. As most "diets," eventually your body will plateau. The key is to make it a lifestyle change.
That fat is a bit high because I didn't select the right salad dressing. That's an easy fix, but all-in-all, not bad.

I think this is the best breakdown, from "The Zone:"
30% fats
30% proteins
40% carbs (good ones!)

I think if you stare down at your plate during meal time, the above ratios should be what you see, and this will take the guess work out of everything for you.

I need to try that fitday--It's just so time consuming! haha Good luck!

2005-04-12 8:56 AM
in reply to: #141513

I think that my post got jumbled up with yours...hope you can read my reply clearly.
2005-04-12 9:28 AM

User image

lakeland, FL
I would say it's all about balance and quality.
2005-04-12 9:37 AM
in reply to: #141514

I was able to read your post no problem

Interesting that you say I should keep my carbs down around 100g. I've read countless info that one needs at a minimum 150g per day, just for normal functionality for your body/brain. And I've also read that endurance athletes should consumer 4 - 8g of carbs/kg of weight. If that were true, my carbs should be up around 300-400.....just all too confusing.
2005-04-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: #141537

That's true...but, I think if you're most interested in losing weight right now, then cutting your carbs down a bit CAN help. Doesn't mean it's a fool-proof method, but it definitely CAN help, in balance with other nutrients. I agree--it's all so confusing!!!

I have read articles about carb intake regarding athletes, and what I always try to remember is that athletes have little body fat to begin with--but if your main motivation (or primary focus) is to lose the weight...then, you need to lessen both your carbs and fats.

You ultimately have to burn more calories than you take in...bottom line. And when you're in a weight loss mode, your body will use its fat stores, if the carbs its getting are a little more restricted. Not restricTIVE, but just take in less.

I think I'm confused now.
2005-04-12 9:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
Krista,

I think the general plan is great, but the specifics are lacking.

Cutting out the bad carbs is a good idea. I first switched to a low fat diet and didn’t lose weight. Then I found out about the bad carbs, the ones that spike your blood sugars and cause you to store the excess as fat. I lost 30 pounds with a low fat, low glycemic diet and I had all the energy I wanted for exercise. Do an internet search on the “glycemic index” and eat foods that have a low glycemic index.

Here’s what worked for me:
Oatmeal, yogurt, brown rice, beans, fruits, vegetables, pearled barley, whole grain bread, soy burgers, lentils, and sweet potatoes.

I was using a 60/25/15 mix of carbs/protein/fat, which worked for me.

2005-04-17 11:18 AM

User image

North Yorkshire
Have you heard of metabolic typing?

It is the theory that some people are carb types, some are protein types and some are mixed types. Basically we all have different metabolisms and some people metabolise meat, especially high purine content like organ meats really well and feel fantastic on them as a high proportion of diet with a relatively high fat content too.

Others do better on lower fat and protein and higher carb ratio - around 60%. And feel terrible on a higher protein diet. Stands to reason that we are not all the same.

The cool thing is that if you eat the right way your energy increases, your metabolism and digestion performs more smoothly and you eliminate cravings and blood sugar spikes.

See www.metabolictyping.com for more info.

ps there is also a general consensus that whatever type we are processed and tampered with foods are a massive no no. So wholefood all the way. Just like 10,000 yrs ago.
2005-04-27 10:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-04-28 6:20 PM

Not wanting to get in a flame war, but I would take any advice from a naturopathic "doctor" with a if not many grains of salt. It isn't a regulated profession...not all bad, but many arn't qualified to provide the advice they do.

Back to your question... no secret to weight loss..will vary from person to person, but the most accepted theory is calories in vs calories out. In theory if you burn more calories (basal metabolic rate, exercise etc.)than your body is taking in (consumption) your reserves will get used up and weight loss will happen. However, other factors come into effect; genetics (the leptin theory, among others), muscle fibre types recruited, gender, fat distribution etc..

That being said, DON'T DIET! They DON'T WORK! Eat a variety of foods(including all types of carbs) in moderation. Increase your non-exercise physical activity and get plenty of sleep. If you really want to "sweat" over losing weight, I'd suggest hooking up with an exercise physiology lab and tweaking your training regiment for a more scientific approach to weight loss.

Lastly, set yourself "intelligent" goals...why do you want to lose WEIGHT? What is it about the weight that you dont like....look, cardiovascular health, diabetes? I
2005-04-28 10:42 PM

Master
South Florida
my semi-informed opinion...diets do work, but only in the short term...you need to devise a plan you can live with - forever.  And carbs are part of a healthy diet..  2 big evils:  high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated soybean oil, both of which you will find in most processed food.  Eat real food.  The less it's been modified, the better.  So would carbs from white pasta or spaghetti squash be better?  duh.   But how many places serve spaghetti squash?  Like someone mentioned, balance. You have to leave room for life.  I eat lots of tofu, but also have been known to scarf some cheetos and a coke when the mood strikes.   And you have to figure out the calorie in/calorie out.  Basic science. So, good luck. There is sooooo much info out there, it is truly confusing!!! : 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carbs are evil - Carbs are not evil! Rss Feed