General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Indianapolis, Indiana
United States
500 Festival
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 28s
Overall Rank = 1971/30218
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 278/1946
Pre-race routine:

We got up about 6am. Had a diet coke and a bit of a bagel. Went to the start line. I had planned to pace my spouse to help her get in a start corral for the Chicago marathon, but at the last minute she said she wanted me to go run in my original corral.
Event warmup:

Nothing really
Run
  • 1h 40m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, I felt like I had a good run. I am on the verge of breaking the 1:40 barrier and could have had I watched my pace a little closer throughout the race.
What would you do differently?:

I should have run with a short sleeve shirt. While very cool at the start, it got warm during the last half of the race with a long sleeve shirt on.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to meet family and friends participating in the race in the family reunion area in Military Park. I was cold so we didn't stay long. Headed back to the hotel and grabbed a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably could have used a gel toward mile 10 and should have worn a short sleeve shirt.

Event comments:

I love this race. Growing up in Indiana and running on the track is always a highlight of the spring I look forward to.

Last updated: 2009-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:28 | 13.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 278/1946
Overall: 1971/30218
Performance: Good
Course: The mini course starts in downtown Indianapolis on Washington Street. Our hotel was near by so it was a short walk. This year there was construction near the start finish which closed off several lanes of the road normally used for the race course. The effect was a much narrower starting shoot. The course opened up again a few hundred yards after the start line. The course itself is very flat with bands staged along the way to entertain the runners. After leaving the downtown area, the course heads out to the Indianapolis 500 track. Racers enter between the 1st and second turns through a tunnel under the track bringing runners to the in field area. From there runners are taken out on to the track on the back stretch. The race continues on the apron of the race track for turns 3 and 4 where we are brought back out onto the main track. After the front stretch racers are taken back to the apron for turns 1 and 2 and then exit the track. The course then takes you through neighbors lined with spectators cheering for the trek back to downtown. The finish is near military park in Downtown Indianapolis
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-05 9:51 AM

User image

Atlanta
Subject: OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon Rss Feed