United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 20m 3s
Overall Rank = 744/751
Age Group = M0139
Age Group Rank = 241/242
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Providence on Saturday, stopped by the race expo to pick up my number and then went and checked into my hotel. Had dinner at a great little pub, then dessert in the hotel restaurant. Got to bed early, but tossed and turned a few times during the night.

In the morning I grabbed breakfast at a nearby Dunkin' Donuts shop, then walked over to the race hotel to meet up with the rest of my team. Made our way outside about 20 minutes before the race start to line up.
Run
  • 6h 20m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 10 miles or so I felt great, and I was running at a pace that I felt I could hold forever. Around mile 10 though, my stomach started giving me problems. Whenever I took in gels or drank it got irritated. I was running with my coach, who suggested that I hold off on the gels and just try to hydrate as much as my stomach would allow.

By mile 12 or so my legs started getting crampy, so I started taking walk breaks. By mile 18 the agony really began, and I could barely maintain a decent walking pace. I shuffled along from 18-25, taking breaks whenever the pain got so bad that I couldn't move. A few times during this stretch I was in tears because my legs hurt so bad. During this time my mind was also playing tricks on me, because these waves of emotion would hit me out of the blue.

Around mile 25 a teammate from my triathlon team came by on his bike, and he stayed with me until the finish. As soon as I crossed the line they asked if I wanted to go to the medical tent, which I definitely did. I plopped down into a wheelchair they had, and they whisked me off.

What would you do differently?:

Need to be more consistent with my mid-week runs, and obviously I need to figure out why GI issues keep sabotaging my longer races. In general I need to work on my hydration levels, as I should have been better hydrated starting out.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid on a stretcher in the medical trailer while the staff checked my vitals, drinking as much water as I could. After about 30 minutes I started to feel okay, so they discharged me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydration, lack of nutrition during the run.

Event comments:

Given that this was my first marathon I kept saying that my only goal was to finish, but I am very disappointed with my result. But now I know that with proper training and hydration I can conquer the distance, so now I'm itching for a rematch in the fall!

Last updated: 2008-12-15 12:00 AM
Running
06:20:03 | 26.2 miles | 14m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 241/242
Overall: 744/751
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-05-05 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Framingham, MA
Subject: Cox Sports Providence Marathon
On a positive note, after the race I did receive a nice gift to commemorate my first marathon:

Pretty nice, huh?

Edited by scott 2009-05-05 12:55 PM

2009-05-05 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2131661

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: RE: Cox Sports Providence Marathon

Good for you sticking it out.... lesser folks would have dropped out.

2009-05-06 10:46 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Wow.  Sorry you were feeling bad toward the end of the race. 
Hope you figure out the nutrition thing and have a better marathon experience next time!
2009-05-07 7:52 AM

User image

Medford, MA

Congrats on finishing your first marathon!!  That's definitely something to be proud of.  Don't get too hung up on the disappointment of your time and how you felt.  Just turn it into a positive and focus on more training!  Make sure you include more weekly run mileage over the summer...it will help you in your quest to conquer the marathon!  :-)

2009-05-07 12:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cox Sports Providence Marathon Rss Feed