Regina Multisport Club
7C / 45F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 47s
Overall Rank = 38/89
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5. Everything was ready from the night before.
Had a hard boiled egg and pb&J on rye (protein!) with coffee.
Got myself together. Spent some time online.
Went to the bathroom about 6 times.
Bike was already in the car.
Made coffee for FW and left it by her sleeping head in a thermos.
Left for race site to arrive there around 7 a.m.
Got a prime spot on the bike rack and then just milled around.

Event warmup:

Helped a little with set up...talked with people.
Rode the dirty girl around a bit in my thongs to make sure she still worked.
Got transition ready and went into pre-race meeting where I stretched and mentally prepared.
It was still about 0 celcius out, but it was warming up quickly.
Swim
  • 16m 28s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

Worried about crowding, but it worked out. Was passed a few times and then forced to slow down, I shouldn't have let a couple of people pass me, because I just slowed down even more. Finished with lots of energy...never felt tired...albeit a little bored.
Good swim, could have gone faster, always could go faster.
One of the last ones out of the pool.
Note that I was in the 2 heat this year...considerably faster heat than the first one, I was in last year. Ironically, I was about 10 seconds slower this year.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster Always swim faster.
This time I did a significant warm-up, maybe about 400 metres.
This is probably why I felt so comfortable and did not have my HR spike in the first 150m.
While I was swimming, I was also thinking, "I'm built for distance and comfort, not speed..."
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

I always take my time during T1.
I dry my toes and make sure my socks fit right...I don't want to stress about them during the run.
I didn't put my helmet on first this time, but my shoes. Still got my helmet before I touched the bike...just did it a little backwards. A little different for me.
Good transition, albeit a little slow.

Maybe not take so much time, but I was determined to enjoy myself.
I ran to my bike, which I have never done before. It was all good.
Bike
  • 42m 14s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.41 km/hr
Comments:

I chose a place to drink my Hammer goop and supplemented with aerobottle water just after that. This was just after the turnaround where there was a stiff wind and there wouldn't be lots of competition to pass me.
Everywhere else I accelerated (standing) around corners and used my aero advantage to pass a number of people.
I was most happy to have a better bike time than Enio (by 25 seconds). He is a very strong and accomplished cyclist who I respect!
This was a great, strong ride. I was only passed by one Junior (he won with an overall time of 1:03 and a bike time of 35 min!
I really enjoyed this ride and my goal was to beat my time from last year and my average speed. I beat average speed by 2k/hr and my time bettered by 20+ seconds race time and roughly 2min (when you take out transition)
I'm still smiling.

Maybe go a little faster on first lap, but as I noted earlier, the strategy I took may have helped later in the run.

I think this was a perfectly executed ride. Passed lots of people, including Enio. Felt strong and confident.
Sadly, there are no pictures of me riding...hmmmmpf!
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Need I say more.
I rocked this transition.
I was out of it before I even realized.
Top of left foot was still incredibly sore from last week's half marathon. I had a moment of panic as I started running, wondering if I would be able to continue, but I think I saw something shiny and that distracted me.

NOTHING!
Perfect transition.
Just have to run faster.
I deliberately started slowly and sped up.
Run
  • 27m 5s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 25s  min/km
Comments:

This was a good, strong run. I'm surprised I wasn't faster. This was about 2 minutes slower than last year. I pushed hard, especially near the end - heading Starcorp's advice.
I was passed only by one stinkin' junior! I zoomed in and passed other runners - I've never done this before. Felt strong going up the hill and almost felt refreshed at the turnaround.
This was a good run.

Go faster...that should be my mantra.
Everything else was executed perfectly. I started slowly, not blowing up, and then progressively sped up.
I didn't have a lot left after the final sprint - which I had to extend because they moved the finish line!!!
That is a good indication that I didn't leave anything on the course!
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of smiling. Ate some oranges and bananas. Stretched a little shook lots of hands, put my stuff away then helped race site tear down.
Then went to awards ceremony and had lunch. Guess what, I didn't win! ;)
I don't care. I loved this day! It was a great race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I beat my mental self here. Not bad self talk holding me back. I just went all out. Could have gone faster, maybe. But I did everything according to plan and even improved my bike time - and that was one of my goals. I don't think my foot pain was in issue, but it was in the back of my mind.
I didn't do a lot of sprint-specific training, lately because of my flu, and the Half Mary previous week and the week riding in the mountains two weeks before that. All that may have effected the run time.
No excuses, I rocked this race and am still smiling!

Event comments:

The night before the race I started putting my race kit together. I was a little stressed. I usually do this two nights in advance.
I very quickly realized that there was little to put together.
I was surprised.
I must be becoming a veteren. I thought about this.
Packing and planning was so automatic.
I had a phenomenal race. My time and placing wasn't where I hoped, but my performance and my feeling exceeded my expectations.
The weather was great, the racers and volunteers were fantastic.
This was a good race.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:28 | 750 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 60/89
Performance: Average
University Pool. that was the hottest water I have ever been in. I started sweating the moment I got in.
Suit: tight and sexy zoot short and top
Course: HAWT university pool. 25ms - 15 back and forth laps. Ropes only every second lane so there was lots of waves. Wave start, I was in second position.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 1000C / 1832F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:14 | 20 kms | 28.41 km/hr
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 28/89
4 5k laps around the University. I think my time was closer to 39minutes, but they have included T1 and T2 on this. Average Speed on my bike comp. was 29.9 I hit a max of 45k/hr. Heart rate was redline for a good chunk of the first lap...I took it a little slower than I should have...but then again, after I really pushed for the last three laps, I still had juice for the run...so maybe the strategy worked.
Wind: Some
Course: This is more of a criterium course. Not very suited to tribikes. Lots of breaking and gear changing. Lots of sand in the corners (sadly) and potholes galore. But I prerode the course a couple of times, so I knew where to accelerate and where to relax. Decided not to wear anything over my try clothes...was a little chilly initially as I dried, but it was a good decision.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:05 | 05 kms | 05m 25s  min/km
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 49/89
HR was never an issue, but I ran naked, so I don't know for sure. Felt good and strong and RPE was pushed, but never beyond redline.
Course: From University to Douglas Park Hill, up the hill, round circle, down hill and back. The moved the damn, start finish line and I hadn't noticed so I pushed a little too early then realized had an additional 200 m to go! Course was predictable. I've run this course a million times. Didn't bother stopping for water...come on, this is 5 k!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-05 3:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
Subject: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker

2009-05-05 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2132162

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker
Fantastic race, congratulations on a well executed plan! Looks like you had lots of fun, could it be that the sprints are becoming your favourites now?
2009-05-05 7:28 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-06 12:24 AM

Subject: RE: Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker
Do you remember how ugly the weather was for this race last year?

This year, it was a great day to be outside. Maybe you and I were slower this year so we could savour the nice day after such a miserable winter and spring... Yeah, that's it.

And you looked good out there - isn't that what really matters?

Congrats on the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brent Gibson Memorial Icebreaker Rss Feed