General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick training days--does the order matter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-04-11 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Brick training days--does the order matter?
I am just beginning my training and following the Total sprint program with a few modifiations. It calls for swimming and running on the same day...does it matter which order I do this in? I have been running first, then swimming, because it's more time efficient. (Since I take a shower, I only have to dry off once, this way...) I'm curious about other opinions. Also, as workouts get longer, how do people fit them into one day? Does this mean working out in the morning and the afternoon, or however people prefer?

Thanks!
Line

2005-04-11 5:56 PM
in reply to: #141262

User image

Regular
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Brick training days--does the order matter?

Line,

Back when I was really working out and training hard, I would do a split-day workout. I'd do cardio training in the morning and then do a half-body workout (perhaps lower body), then in the afternoon, I would do another cardio workout.

As for the swimming/running thing, it's really up to you and how your body feels. I usually do either the running and biking first and then get into the pool because I can relax in the pool after I get my workout in.

You'll find you'll need to observe how your body responds and train toward that.

Good luck!

Edited by OSUAlum94 2005-04-11 5:59 PM
2005-04-11 10:21 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Line,

There is a difference between a brick and two-a-day workouts.  A brick simulates a triathlon race.  For example, on Saturday I biked for 2 hours then rolled into my drive way where I had a mini-transition area setup; changed to running gear and ran for 30 minutes.  The order does matter - race as you train.

On two-a-days, my workouts are split.  Sometimes I run before work and swim after work or run before work and bike after work, etc.  Here the order doesn't matter.

Most training programs specify which workouts are brick workouts.

TJ

2005-04-12 10:18 AM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
I'm a fan of putting the swim last when combined with anything. Since swimming is typically most peoples weak point, the body is tired when you get in the water and if you can get in a good swim workout while already being worn down a bit, it would stand to reason swimming while fresh would be easier.

That's just my two cents from the peanut gallery.

Oh yeah, the Navy SEAL training program puts swim last after running and PT and they are only some of the fittest people in the world.
2005-04-12 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO

I've been known to brick Runs with Swims and for that I don't think the order matters.

I do think when Bricking Bike and Run it does matter. If you haven't bricked yet, be ready for a shock when you get off the bike and try to start running....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick training days--does the order matter? Rss Feed