General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes and Whole Grains? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-08 8:30 AM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
Subject: Triathletes and Whole Grains?
This has probably been posted and discussed to death, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.  Has anyone seen this video?  This guy has an interesting take on a commonly recommended diet.  What does everyone think about this guy and his argument? 

2009-05-08 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2138292

Subject: RE: Triathletes and Whole Grains?

olliedawg - 2009-05-08 9:30 AM This has probably been posted and discussed to death, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.  Has anyone seen this video?  This guy has an interesting take on a commonly recommended diet.  What does everyone think about this guy and his argument? 

Since I can't turn up the sounds here at work, can you give a brief summary of what he says?

2009-05-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2138303

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-08 9:32 AM

olliedawg - 2009-05-08 9:30 AM This has probably been posted and discussed to death, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.  Has anyone seen this video?  This guy has an interesting take on a commonly recommended diet.  What does everyone think about this guy and his argument? 

Since I can't turn up the sounds here at work, can you give a brief summary of what he says?

Well, it's pretty long so I brief summary may be hard, but... he says that if you are of European, especially western European, lineage you are more likely to be unable to properly digest whole grains.  The idea being that you come from a hunter/gatherer line and your gut has not evolved to properly digest while grains.  Because of this, you may be wasting you money on eating high quality, at times more expensive, foods.  However, you may not realize you have issues because the effects are delayed anywhere from several hours to several days.  These can include anything from gas to stinky pits to a mental fog. 
He gets pretty technical but the general idea is that endurance athletes should shy away from whole grains. 
2009-05-08 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2138449

olliedawg - 2009-05-08 10:12 AM

Well, it's pretty long so I brief summary may be hard, but... he says that if you are of European, especially western European, lineage you are more likely to be unable to properly digest whole grains.  The idea being that you come from a hunter/gatherer line and your gut has not evolved to properly digest while grains.  Because of this, you may be wasting you money on eating high quality, at times more expensive, foods.  However, you may not realize you have issues because the effects are delayed anywhere from several hours to several days.  These can include anything from gas to stinky pits to a mental fog. 
He gets pretty technical but the general idea is that endurance athletes should shy away from whole grains. 

So basically it's another rehasing of the "Paleo Diet".

2009-05-08 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2138491

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-08 10:26 AM

Not sure... never heard of that one.
2009-05-08 9:39 AM
in reply to: #2138503

olliedawg - 2009-05-08 10:29 AM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-08 10:26 AM

Not sure... never heard of that one.

The Paleo Diet is basically, from what I know, an effort to eat like a Caveman - so NO processed food, which includes all grains and grain products as well as dairy - the cavefolk did not harvest milk from animals or have the wherewithal to harvest grains, process them to be edible (like taking the kernel part off of the wheat, oats, etc) and cook them. So it's basically meat, nuts and beans, fruits and veggies. Basically if you can pick it up off of the ground, off of a tree, dig it up from the dirt and it eat it as it, it's fair game - as well as killing and eating animals. No bread, no cereal, nothing like that. Food with minimal "packaging" like nuts and some fruit only count, because it's not really that difficult to split a nut open and eat the stuff inside - animals can manage that much. Harvesting and making grain edible is a more difficult process.

And I believe the "idea" behind the Paleo diet is the same - since early humans did not eat processed stuff, like grains, we are not "supposed" to eat them now. Kind of like how humans are the only mammals that consume milk beyond early childhood - are we "supposed" to be drinking milk? Who knows - various people say different things.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-05-08 9:41 AM

2009-05-08 9:45 AM

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
There are some similarities but not entirely.  He recommends things like rice and buckwheat and he's big on root veggies.  But it doesn't sound like he's off processed food... although that's probably pretty inherent in the process. 
2009-05-10 8:53 AM

Regular
from personal experience, since switching to all whole grains (no white bread, no white pasta, no white rice, everything whole wheat, ect.) I feel better than ever and it's easier to mantain a healthy weight. More energy, more "regular", overall healthier.
2009-05-10 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2141415

turnipgirl - 2009-05-10 9:53 AM from personal experience, since switching to all whole grains (no white bread, no white pasta, no white rice, everything whole wheat, ect.) I feel better than ever and it's easier to mantain a healthy weight. More energy, more "regular", overall healthier.

Right, and that's what most people would advocate - it's a great rule to follow. I have avoided "white" grains for years. But I think the guy in the video is saying that grains in general are bad, with a few exceptions - so that avoiding overly-processed grains is a given, but that we should even avoid otherwise healthy whole grains. Which is not exactly a proven thing yet, I don't believe - aside from those with celiac/gluten allergies.

2009-05-11 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
I would have to agree with his video, I recently went gluten free after having some mysterious symptoms for months. It was not the problem but after a few days gluten free I could feel a huge increase in energy.

P.s not 100% gluten free. I still like my beer
2009-05-11 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2143203

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
colby995 - 2009-05-11 10:35 AM I would have to agree with his video, I recently went gluten free after having some mysterious symptoms for months. It was not the problem but after a few days gluten free I could feel a huge increase in energy. P.s not 100% gluten free. I still like my beer

I know a number of people who have chosen to eat gluten free simply because they "feel better." It's quite interesting.
As a Celiac though, I still try to eat whole grain gluten free oats, quinoa, and whole grain brown rice whenever possible.

2009-05-15 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
triathletes have no real need to eat whole grains any way, as athletes in general process high GI carbs different than sedentary people.  More and more research is showing that GI manipulation doesn't do much to alter body composition, but if it works for you keep at it, but people shouldn't feel the need to go whole grain if they don't enjoy the taste/feeling.  There really isn't that much more nutrients in the whole grain to begin with, at least not compared to eating lean meat/veggies/fruit. 
2009-05-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2153702

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Bioteknik - 2009-05-15 2:45 PM There really isn't that much more nutrients in the whole grain to begin with, at least not compared to eating lean meat/veggies/fruit. 

I think the argument was comparing whole grains to refined/processed grains. In which case, the whole grains contain an amount of additional nutrients that are indisputable.

Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 21, No. 4, 293–297 (2002)

Whole grains deliver a unique nutrient package. Rich in phytonutrients, whole grains contain vitamins and minerals, unsaturated fatty acids, tocotrienols, tocopherols, insoluble fiber, phytosterols, stanols, sphingolipids, phytates, lignans, and antioxidants like phenolic acids.

The milling process removes the nutrient-rich bran and germ from the grain kernel, extracting out a high percentage of the phytonutrients in the whole grain kernel. While vitamins and minerals can be added through fortification, the synergy of phytonutrients in the whole grain kernel is difficult to recreate.

Edited by lisac957 2009-05-15 3:33 PM
2009-05-16 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2153852

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA
lisac957 - 2009-05-15 4:32 PM
Bioteknik - 2009-05-15 2:45 PM There really isn't that much more nutrients in the whole grain to begin with, at least not compared to eating lean meat/veggies/fruit. 

I think the argument was comparing whole grains to refined/processed grains. In which case, the whole grains contain an amount of additional nutrients that are indisputable.

Journal of the American College of Nutrition, Vol. 21, No. 4, 293–297 (2002)

Whole grains deliver a unique nutrient package. Rich in phytonutrients, whole grains contain vitamins and minerals, unsaturated fatty acids, tocotrienols, tocopherols, insoluble fiber, phytosterols, stanols, sphingolipids, phytates, lignans, and antioxidants like phenolic acids.

The milling process removes the nutrient-rich bran and germ from the grain kernel, extracting out a high percentage of the phytonutrients in the whole grain kernel. While vitamins and minerals can be added through fortification, the synergy of phytonutrients in the whole grain kernel is difficult to recreate.

what I meant was, if you're already eating lean meat, fruit and vegetables, it's not worth it to worry about whole grain vs. processed grain since the nutritional value of whole grains isn't much (compared to lean meat/vegetables).  Going whole grain or not isn't going to make or break your nutritional totals unless that is something you are solely subsisting on (which doesn't really happen in developed countries).  In our land of plentiful food, we don't have to worry about living on just bread.   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathletes and Whole Grains? Rss Feed