Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-07-04 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2261722

Expert
Behind you
Subject: RE: What to do about dogs?
AcesFull - 2009-07-04 2:19 PM

x2!!!  Or slowly as my grandfather would say  "Hotdogs and small fish hooks".  Dang he was cold! 

2009-07-05 10:04 AM
in reply to: #2140524

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

I yell "NO" "DOWN" "BAD DOG", and squirt water in their face to startle them.  It has worked for me several times.

I used to have two dogs that always would chase me on my route if they saw me a German Shepard and weiner dog  actually it was such a funny sight the big and the small running after me on my bike that it was my laugh for the day. Not to mention a yard full of chickens running like crazy in all directions.

I was mostly afraid that the dogs would make me crash, so I did talk stop and talk to the owners who were cool about it.

2009-07-05 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2140890

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"

kat_astrophe - 2009-05-09 8:38 PM

I'm a dog person/amateur dog trainer as well as someone who's been menaced by poorly-trained dogs many, many times...

Most dogs will back off if you holler at them.  A high-pitched girly scream is not the best way to go, because it will make you seem like a terrified prey animal and thus trigger further prey/chase instincts.  Dogs love to chase joggers and bikers partially because of territory guarding and partially because of their instincts to chase prey.  If you pitch a "NO!  BAD DOG!"  or a "GO LAY DOWN!" as loud and low-pitched as you can, most dogs will back off.  You don't want to come off scared as much as you want to come off assertive and tough, someone that the dog doesn't want to mess with.  The majority of dogs will back off if you tell them to get lost in language they can understand.

If the dog ignores this and keeps coming at you, squirt something in its face.  A well-aimed squirt from your water bottle will probably be unpleasant/unexpected enough to stop the dog in its tracks for a few seconds if you're on the bike, which might be all you need.  More unpleasant, and thus more effective, deterrents include a squirt gun full of diluted ammonia or diluted lemon juice.  I usually go with the lemon juice, because the ammonia can give the dog chemical burns and I'm too soft-hearted to burn the dog.  Pepper spray is the most effective thing of all, especially if you're jogging, but it's really difficult to aim pepper spray when you're on a bike, especially if there's any kind of wind at all.  Chances are you'll totally miss the dog, and in the worst-case scenario, you'll end up spraying yourself.  Then you will be totally blind, in wicked pain, probably crashing your bike, with an angry dog tearing a piece out of your shorts.

Also, make a note of which house the dog came out of, so that you can have a "chat" with its owners (and maybe the police) later on.  You should be able to bike and run without being afraid that Cujo's going to have you for dinner. 

I agree, a loud NO or a good shot from a water bottle, water does as good as anything, in the face is the best way to go.  NO mace no matter if you are alone or in a group is spells trouble for everyone.  Unfortunately if the owners aren't responsible and let their dogs run loose they more than likely don't have tags on their dogs.  This leads to the owner saying "It isn't my dog".   But a chat never hurts. 

2009-07-05 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
I don't worry about the dogs.... There are other concerns during training rides and runs on the "Dismal Swamp Canal Trail"

Edited by Bone Head 2009-07-05 5:47 PM

(Bear Alert Sign.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bear Alert Sign.jpg (54KB - 10 downloads)
2009-07-05 7:38 PM

Regular
Being in the county it's just a part of life.  Dogs aren't leashed or fenced in because in my area you just don't do that.  Even in my neighborhood with an animal control officer in it dogs roam free with no problems.  If you call animal control in a country setting and mention a loose dog you'll probably get laughed at.  You're in the country, I've seen cows and horses roam free.  Those who say call animal control need to realize you are in a different world from a suburban or urban setting.  Now if one really does try to attack you then yes report it.

But when I do ride in the country most dogs are usually labs who just want a chase.  While the dogs who would tear you up like pitbulls and rotts aren't into chasing and they in general don't bother me.  Most dogs know what "No" means and overall obey it.  If not just use some mace and that works wonders.  I'll go by the same dogs who will still chase but maintain atleast 25yards from me.

I keep my mace on my brake lever cable on the clip.  It has never fallen off and is super easy to get to.
2009-07-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2140558

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
jonmetz - 2009-05-09 1:22 PM Mace or pepper spray works well.

I've got my own "pavlov dogs" experiment going.  My hypothesis is: by the end of the year they will think of pepper spray when they hear/see a bike.

2009-07-05 8:32 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I normally just yell.  I have tagged a couple of the more persistent ones on the nose -- road shoes are pretty hard.   If it's a repeat offender and I believe that the owner is negligent, I have been known to use the trick of riding just ahead of the dog for a couple of miles -- even on the uphills where you can't outpace it, if you watch the dog and swerve with it, you can keep it from getting alongside you.  I have mixed feelings about this, but in the moment, it feels right...
2009-07-05 8:52 PM
in reply to: #2140890

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
X2 squirt with a water bottle.  If you're running and don't have any water, stop, turn and face the dog and stomp at him.  He's tyring to protect his turf.  If he's running in the road after you, he's not on his turf anymore.  At least this has worked for me on several occasions.  I'm not the slightest bit scared of dogs though so maybe that comes through.  If a dog does have ahold of you and you can reach his jaws with your hand, rub his cheek against his back teeth.  He'll release.  Then don't let go of his top jaw.  I had to do this with a Rottweiler that attacked a neighbor's dog once.  I just held-on until we could get him back into his yard.

It may help to say something to the owners, but not if they got him for that reason.  If they're outside when the dog chases you and they say something to him, they might be receptive.  But they could also be hicks who think it's cool to have a dog that chases runners and cyclists.

I've tried the screaming like a banshee with snakes...it doesn't work...
2009-07-05 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2263303

Regular
BamaDC - 2009-07-05 9:09 PM
jonmetz - 2009-05-09 1:22 PM Mace or pepper spray works well.

I've got my own "pavlov dogs" experiment going.  My hypothesis is: by the end of the year they will think of pepper spray when they hear/see a bike.

Dogs may not have more "itelligence" than humans but they have 10x more common sense than a human.  1 spray is all it'll takes for them to learn.  I've watched "cops" to see people get tased or pepper sprayed to try again.
2009-07-08 12:19 AM

I have a MK-4 First Defense OC spray, strapped under my top tube and a small KelTec .380 with a belt clipped inside my pants. Start with the Mk-4 if that does not do the trick kelTec until the threat is over. We have a very bad pitbull problem in the area!

Edited by LifterCatcher 2009-07-08 12:19 AM
2009-07-08 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2140687

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
craig002 - 2009-05-09 4:43 PM

an air horn for a boat...........buy one at a boat store..........wait for them to get close before discharging. they make some freakin LOUD ones..

additionally i was told to use full strength amonia in a squirt bottle and go for the eyes. i was told that it is safe for the dog and safer for you than pepper spray. if pepper spray catches the wind and gets in your eyes, the dog will win... :-)!.....ammonia leaves you both functional and with the right spray bottle you get greater distance and multiple/repeated shots.....

your final option is to contact your county sheriff and report the address and dog as a nuiscance. the sheriff can pay the house a visit and put pressure on the owner. multiple reports and the dog and be put to sleep....

that being said, i like the 9mm option best... :-)

hope this helps....

X 2 on the air horn.. Wally World actually has these for $ 8... they are astonishingly loud.

.and as noted already, fluid to the face, a stern low-pitched NO, and if all else fails, get off the bike and keep it between you and them. Make sure to report the incident to animal control.

2009-07-08 8:42 AM

User image

Regular
Tallinn, Estonia
Not quite an advice, but a story of a dog around where I live.

There is a old farmhouse near a road that leads out from the city and there lives The Dog. No one knows its real name, but cyclists call him Sparky.

The problem with this particular dog is, that the road is VERY popular amongst cyclists, so even though the dog is old (probably 10 or more), he is in a very good shape. I mean VERY good shape. Every day he makes at least 30-50 sprints after the cyclists, sometimes several minutes in duration.

This daily "interval" training has made the dog incredible strong and durable. He can go up to 50km/h (31mph) (!) for ~30 seconds and 40km/h (25mph) for several minutes. Very common practice amongst cyclists is to accelerate well before they reach the house, otherwise the dog will overtake you easily. He doesn't seem to be very mean, but no one has ever attempted to stop and find out.

2009-07-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2269627

User image

Veteran
Mississippi

I have used all of the above tricks.  We live in the country so we have a plethora of dogs that like to chase.

My recommendations:

#1-Don't panic and end up crashing the bike on your own-look straight ahead and pound away.

#2-Accelerate before you reach the dog-they will give up sooner the faster you're moving.  It's much easier for them to get focused on chasing you if they're chasing an initially slow moving object that speeds up.  They wouldn't chase you at all if you were flying by at 70mph.

#3-Yell "No" at the dog and make it recognize that you are a human and you are in charge-that works pretty well once they get a little too close for comfort.

#4-Combine all three practices!

2009-07-08 11:01 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Most importantly the 1st thing I always do is UNCLIP one leg (usually the one in the direction the dogs are coming). That way I am prepared to kick if necessary, or to stop quickly, or put my foot down 1st if I end up having to take a spill (god forbid!).

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do about dogs? Rss Feed  

of 2