United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 40s
Overall Rank = 180/765
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/83
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep well, but woke up at 510a and was out the door by 525a. Ate some cheerios on the way. Got to the race around 620a. Hit the head, ate half an energy bar, and drank some soda. Set up my transition area. It's weird, been doing these a year now and feel like the veteran. Helped a few newbies out on how to set up their area.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swim for about 5min.
Swim
  • 07m 18s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty decent OWS since it was my first since last Sept. The new goggles helped me sight unbelievably, and would recommend them to anyone. It was crowded with 83 people in my wave and all of us heading for one little bouy. I got kicked in the stomach, my right leg grabbed (and almost pulled my timing strap off), and got elbowed in the face a few times (goggles held on and never did leak). The turn around was really hectic and slow going. Overall I was very happy. The only negative I saw was that I didn't draft well. After all the bumping, I got outside everyone and just swam on my own.
What would you do differently?:

Draft better.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Long run to transition. This was the first time I ever rode without socks...and LOVED it! Normally I put socks on here and they get soaked within minutes. No socks helped keep my feet dry and I didn't notice any difference biking.

Maybe run a little faster. Didn't hop on the bike as smooth as normal. Again, first time I had done this since Sept 08.
Bike
  • 36m 32s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Not a great ride and a little disappointed with my pace. I felt good early (first 5mi), but the last 6mi was mostly uphill (long gradual uphills) and it killed me. I am definitely not in good bike shape right now. I've been having problems with my right calf tightening up and IT band problems (outside of knees) and I think it has my bike confidence shaken. I am afraid if I push too hard then the problems will come back. I got a calf massage from Advanced Rehabilitation before the race and it worked like a charm. I will be calling them to set up some appointments. I had no legs problems, but the pain in previous rides has not allowed me to train like I should be. I did this course last year (but 5 miles longer) and my speed was .5mph slower this time. Not happy, but I am happy that I have no pain after riding...which for me is a very good thing right now.

Train more work on getting rid of what is causing this leg pain on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Since I didn't bike with socks, I put them on here. Only took an extra few seconds and well worth not having soaking wet socks. I was able to pull my feet out while riding and jumped off the bike perfectly. Only thing was while running to my rack, I spotted off the wrong flag and ended up 2 rows away from where I was and probably lost 15-20sec finding my rack area.

I practiced sighting where my rack was coming in from the swim...need to do the same coming in from the bike.
Run
  • 17m 16s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad run, but I was hoping for better. Cramping (side stitch) on the way out, so took it easy for the first mile (9min/mi - and all uphill), but felt better and picked it up on the way back (8min/mi). I am still having trouble with the breathing coming off the bike. My chest is real tight and cannot get a deep breath for the entire first mile. Still, way better time for my first race of the season compared to last year!

More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much...cold wet towel and some water. This is the shortest tri I have ever done and didn't feel exhausted afterwards. Hung out with my wife and snacked until they opened up the bike area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. Just starting my training and race season...can only hope to get better.

Event comments:

Jack and Adams races never disappoint. I loved this race and is the first time I have done a super-sprint distance. Wish there were more of these. The event goes off without a hitch and they always have more than enough volunteers and pre/post-race goodies.

Last updated: 2008-12-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:18 | 328 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/83
Overall: 171/765
Performance: Good
Suit: super suit
Course: V-shaped out and back. Swim times were slower for everyone, as the turn around point became very crowded and everyone slowed down.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:32 | 11.2 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/83
Overall: 186/765
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Big loop with 5 right turns. Fairly flat but had some long gradual uphills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:16 | 02 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/83
Overall: 267/765
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Out is pretty much all uphill and the reverse on the way back (of course!).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-10 5:45 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: The Rookie Triathlon

2009-05-12 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2141848

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: The Rookie Triathlon

Nice job on the race. If you ever learn how to draft in the water, please teach me, I suck at it!

2009-05-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2141848

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
congratulations!
2009-05-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2147705

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks!  Where is your race report...looks like you did well in all 3 events.  And dealing with 5 kids...amazing!
2009-05-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2154371

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I've been battling IT Band Syndrome since the end of February.  I started going to Advanced Rehab 2 weeks ago.  They totally cleared up the pain in less than 2 weeks.  I would recommend them.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Rookie Triathlon Rss Feed