United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 18m 57s
Overall Rank = 75/1000
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 12/26
Pre-race routine:

Drove to bus loading area and had a Cliff Bar, banana and some water.
Event warmup:

porta potty line 3 times and some light stretching.
Run
  • 3h 18m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Was a cool start at 31 degrees. The view running down the canyon road was amazing. There was light snow on the tree tops above us and small layers of fog around the mountains.
I started the run towards the back of the pack and this slowed my pace for the first 3 miles. I was trying to hold a pace of 7:30/mile but ended up around 8:00/mile with the traffic. The downhill slope was nice for the first 5 miles and then every mile after that my quads started to feel the burn.
The road was closed to traffic so you really have a good chance to take in the view. This makes the first half of the marathon go by quickly. Running along the Poudre River in the mountains is so zen.
Once you reach the end of the canyon you get your first spectators to help chear you on. This is definitely needed because of the hill at mile 19. Holy hill! After running downhill for 19 miles this small uphill slope is a killer! There is an aid station at the top to lure you up. After that you join a bike trail that is quite rough at first. I was not use to the rough and bumpy surface after running on a smooth road for 20 miles. My legs were burning by this point. The last 5 miles I started passing a lot of the half marathoners. Some of them liked to walk along side eachother and this made it difficult to pass on some parts of the path. One final turn and you can see the finish line about 500 feet away. Done!

What would you do differently?:

Train more on downhill slopes. Had strep throat and some ankel pain the last few weeks of training so I wasn't sure how well I was prepared.
Post race
Warm down:

Was looking forward to a massage after the run but there were only 2 tables!!! They were full until almost 3 hours after I wanted to sign up (and that is because someone cx'd). They were only 10 min massages anyway so I skipped it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other runners. Not enough training. Felt I did good for my first marathon.

Last updated: 2009-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
03:18:57 | 26.2 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/26
Overall: 75/1000
Performance: Good
Course: The Colorado Marathon course runs down the Scenic Poudre River Canyon for the first 17+ miles, starting at Steven's Gulch Day Use Area. Through the City of Laporte to Cache La Poudre Junior High, turning on to the Poudre West Bike Trail to Linden Street, turning southwest and finishing at the Old Town Plaza at the intersection of Linden and Walnut in Ft. Collins.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-05-10 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Firestone, CO
Subject: Colorado Marathon

2009-05-13 11:08 PM
in reply to: #2141897

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Colorado Marathon
Congrats on a great 1st marathon!!
2009-05-15 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2141897

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Colorado Marathon

3:18 for your first marathon...nicely done!  I did this marathon in 2004...it's a beautiful course!  I want to get back sometime.  Congrats on finishing your 1st marathon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Marathon Rss Feed