General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Worst/Scariest/Funniest Tri dream Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-05-10 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: Worst/Scariest/Funniest Tri dream
Last night I had the first of I'm sure many tri nightmares...I was at Utah IM, just off the bike, feelin great, go into the transition tent, ready to throw down on the run, only to find that one of my running shoes was gone. I was totally miffed at how there could only be one shoe. And WTF was I gonna do with just one.

When I woke up I was relieved to see both shoes :-)

Whats your worst/scariest/funniest tri dream???

2009-05-10 10:41 PM
in reply to: #2142247

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Worst/Scariest/Funniest Tri dream
I was running a Marathon and I got lost after the halfway point (which I had reached in 1 hour 17 minutes). I cannot tell you how pissed off I was that I couldn't find my way back to the course because I was smoking that race! I woke up pretty dang mad.

2009-05-11 6:41 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
In my nightmare, the tri I was in required you to ride your bike in the water for the swim portion... everyone else seemed to be doing fine, but for some reason I just couldn't get a handle on the underwater breathing. And then there's the part about my cleats getting stuck and me not being able to unclip, but that part's a little hazy...
2009-05-11 6:46 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
In my dream I finished the swim and was on my way to a great race.  Got out of the water and asked which way it was to transition.  They said they hadn't decided yet, and I should just grab a seat and wait.  A while later they came and pointed at someone else and declared them the winner. 
2009-05-11 6:59 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
I have this dream a lot:

I'm running a marathon, and I'm lost.  The course is either poorly marked or not marked at all.  I cannot, for the life of me, figure out where to go, it's getting dark, etc.  I have to run through people's houses and they are blocking my way.  weird stuff!
2009-05-11 7:01 AM

My worst tri dream - I finished the swim of some unspecified triathlon, and when I got to transition, my road bike wasn't there - it was my old crappy hybrid. And not only that, it was all taken apart, so I was trying to put it back together. I ended up giving up and bagging the race. Weird.

2009-05-11 8:55 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
I have oodles of these... the most common one being that I finish the swim and arrive at the transition to discover someone has stolen my bike seat.  eek!

In one I had my daughter with me only she was an infant.  I had her babyseat on the back of my bike and I was asking people if they would hold her while I tried to get my stuff ready for the ride.  No one would help (no wonder!).  In my dream I intended to ride the bike portion with her strapped into the seat behind me and none of this seemed odd or strange ??!! 
2009-05-11 9:10 AM

Master

LittleCat - 2009-05-10 11:07 PM Last night I had the first of I'm sure many tri nightmares...I was at Utah IM, just off the bike, feelin great, go into the transition tent, ready to throw down on the run, only to find that one of my running shoes was gone. I was totally miffed at how there could only be one shoe. And WTF was I gonna do with just one. When I woke up I was relieved to see both shoes :-) Whats your worst/scariest/funniest tri dream???

I have this dream a lot about hockey....I'll show up at the rink and will be missing a skate, or a glove, or a shin guard.  I search all over the place and by the time I find what I need and get suited up, the game is over.

Just before my first tri last year, I had a dream that as we were standing on the shore waiting for the start, the lake dried up!  All of the water was gone...and they had to cancel the swim portion.  I was SO bummed out. 

2009-05-11 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

I had a dream once that I got into transition during a sprint after the swim only to find that someone had intentionally kicked my transition area around, spreading items across the ground.  Both transitions took minutes longer than they should have, and I had to leave T2 without my number belt (subject to time penalty in this race), which I found a couple of racks over after the race.

Then I realized it wasn't a dream...

2009-05-11 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Those are some really funny and stressful dreams!  I've had two -

1.  I'm doing a tri in Russia (for some reason) and I'm trying to catch a train to the race site on the morning of the race.  I have no idea which train to catch and the race is about to start but I finally get there and I'm hauling my bike to the transition area to set up just as I hear the announcer call "3, 2, 1.." for the swim to begin.  I haven't even put my wetsuit on yet.  I woke up sweating from that one...

2.  I turn up to the race feeling confident.  It's a pool swim and unfortunately it turns out someone has drained the water out of the pool... The organisers get around this by making everyone "air swim" in place, lying on the bottom of the dry pool.  They judge how fast you would have gone according to how good your stroke technique is.

2009-05-11 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC

Transition was in the living room of an old farm house. Before the swim start everyone was wading in the water at the bottom of a slide at a water park. Two minutes before my wave I realize I am wearing a t-shirt and need to put on my wetsuit. Many other dreams involve not being prepared, or missing something.

2009-05-11 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Even though I have not done a tri yet (June 20th here I come!) I have had a couple of tri dreams. The worst was I came out of the swim in last (ok so that will probably be true) but I am excited because I finished the swim, get to transition and that goes great, jog my bike to the mount line and hope on, start peddling and...going backwards. I keep trying to fix it and then just decide to ride backwards through the race but can't manage to do it and end up sitting on a curb looking at my bike and feeling like crying. I just hope it does not foreshadow what will happen...
2009-05-11 5:27 PM

Extreme Veteran
Reston, VA
This was a few years ago so I don't remember all the specifics, but here's the worst one I've had:

Just as my swim wave started going, I remembered that my bike was still on the rack on the car and not in transition.  I managed to find someone to go and get it and put it in transition, but I was a nervous wreck.  Then my swim wave went off and everyone was paddling themselves along on those water rafts and I was having a very difficult time paddling mine as well as navigating among the hundreds of rafts in the water.

Come T1, my bike is in my transition area (*whew!*) and I lean down and put on my bike shoes.  I grab my helmet and glance down and I'm wearing my running shoes!  So I change back into my bike shoes, and the next time I look down at my feet I'm wearing my running shoes.  This happened at least once or twice more - talk about frustrating!

I don't remember the rest of the dream, but I don't think I have ever been so frustrated as I was when my shoes kept being wrong...
2009-05-11 6:00 PM

Expert
This isn't really a dream but kind of related...

I get a text on my phone at 2am and think its my alarm going off to go swimming. I stumble out of bed, put my togs on, pack all my bags etc. Drive 15 mins to the pool, sit in the carpark for another 5-10 mins. Wounder why no other cars are here. Check my phone again and realise it's 2.30am.

I went home and slept for another 2-3 hours and did it all again.
2009-05-11 6:12 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I've had a couple of tri dreams, but only one that caused me to wake up sweating and concerned!  The transition area was in a parking garage, I had my wetsuit on, do the swim, am running to transition, start to take the wetsuit off and realize I am ONLY wearing my wetsuit, so I can't really take it off...I get to transition and am fumbling around trying to find my clothes and then trying to figure out where I can change, and there is no where, and then it ended...thankfully...cause I don't think I could've handled much more of that one.
2009-05-11 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Kauai girl now in MIll Creek/Silver Firs
I've  had a crazy tri dream recently (and my first race isn't until July1).

In the dream, I am getting out of the water and running to my bike when I see a woman getting mauled by seagulls and I go to help her thinking "well, I guess I'll bail on the race because a death-by-seagull would really suck for this lady".

2009-05-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2144439

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Hartford, CT
supa-powa - 2009-05-11 7:00 PM This isn't really a dream but kind of related... I get a text on my phone at 2am and think its my alarm going off to go swimming. I stumble out of bed, put my togs on, pack all my bags etc. Drive 15 mins to the pool, sit in the carpark for another 5-10 mins. Wounder why no other cars are here. Check my phone again and realise it's 2.30am. I went home and slept for another 2-3 hours and did it all again.

O.k. - that one made me laugh so hard that I had tears in my eyes!  I just KNOW that's going to happen to me someday!
2009-05-12 1:44 AM
in reply to: #2142565

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-05-11 5:01 AM

My worst tri dream - I finished the swim of some unspecified triathlon, and when I got to transition, my road bike wasn't there - it was my old crappy hybrid. And not only that, it was all taken apart, so I was trying to put it back together. I ended up giving up and bagging the race. Weird.

I had a bike swap dream too.

My dream involves setting up transition at my HIM. Everything looks great. I head out for the swim and when I return to T1 my bike is gone and has been replaced with a pink BMX bike with streamers.  I spend the next 56 miles battling it out with my BMX. I had this stupid dream at least 3 times before my race.

I was so relieved that my bike was in T1 when I finished my actual swim
2009-05-12 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I seem to have a constant dream of showing up at a Marathon and not having trained for it.

2009-05-12 8:19 AM

User image

Fort Worth, TX

I did my first Tri last month and a couple of days leading up to the race I started to read the rules on the USAT site.  Sure enough I go to sleep that night and have a nightmare about my race.  In my dream I come out of the pool and to my T1 site to find the front tire on my bike was missing.  As I looked for it frantically, a rules official comes up to me and said since I had racked my bike incorrectly I was assessed a penalty by removing my tire.  I asked how was I suppose to complete the bike portion of the race and he smiled and said I hope you can pop a wheelie and hold it for a long time.   Needless to say on the day of my race I stayed a close to my bike as possible and made sure it was racked right.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Worst/Scariest/Funniest Tri dream Rss Feed