Set-Up, Inc.
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 15m 14s
Overall Rank = 59/166F
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/30
Pre-race routine:

I was feeling nauseous the day before the race. My husband had been sick and nauseous a couple days earlier. So I wasn't sure if I was sick or nervous. I went to bed at 8:30 and slept well until 4:15am. So I am not sure my upset stomach was nerves, because I had no trouble sleeping.

My stomach was still a little upset this morning. I was able to eat, but not quite as much as I had planned. I had an Ensure, toast w/ peanut butter and a banana.

We drove to the race site the morning of the race. Once we arrived, I got my chip, got bodymarked, and set up my transition (I had picked up my race packet the day before). I went to the bathroom, then I grabbed my wetsuit and headed down to the lake.
Event warmup:

My wave didn't start until 7:30, 30 min. after the race start. At 7:00, I took a gel. At 7:15, I got into the water to warm up a bit.
Swim
  • 42m 24s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I decided to start in the back of the wave and start out slowly today. This worked very well for me. I quickly got into a rhythm. Unlike most races, I never wanted to quit and turn around today (so it looks like I am finally making progress on the swim). It was rough up to the first turn buoy. I was hit, kicked, and swam into a lot. Once I made the first turn, it seemed to thin out some and get better. My shoulders and lats really tired by the end and were sore when I finished.
What would you do differently?:

I was conservative in this swim. I probably could have gone a little faster. But I am pretty happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

It was a long run from the water to the transition area. My wetsuit stuck on my heels and I had trouble getting it off. I quickly sprayed on some sunscreen (but apparently not very well). But otherwise the transition went smoothly.

Get wetsuit off faster.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 32s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan for this ride was to do the first 20 minutes in zone 2 only drinking water. Then start taking in calories and keep HR in zone 3. I was hoping to finish the ride in 3 hours. But the wind on the course slowed me a bit. But I wanted to stick to my plan, so I ignored my speed and made sure that my HR didn't go above zone 3. I felt really good during the entire ride. Most of the time I felt like I wasn't working hard enough. A lot of people passed me in those first 20 minutes and it was hard not to pick up my pace. But I had a plan and I wanted to stick to it. I had 3.5 servings of Infinit concentrated in one bottle on my bike and my aerobottle was full of water. I got another bottle of water at each waterbottle handoff (mile 15, 30, 45). It was starting to get warm on the ride. I finished all of the Infinit and all 4 bottles of water. My water ran out a couple of miles before the next handoff each time. The last bottle only lasted 8 miles (I ran out with 3 miles to go).

It was a bit windy on the course, but I barely noticed. I noticed that my pace was slowing due to the wind. But I was not bothered by the wind, otherwise. I made it a point to practice a lot in the wind before this race, so I barely noticed the wind during the race.

About halfway through the ride, I felt a grain of sand rubbing against my foot in my shoe. It was a bit annoying, but I ignored it and went on. It ended up leaving a nice size cut in my foot just below the ankle.

My shoulders and lats were already hurting from the swim. This only got worse. I stayed aero for the entire ride, but my neck and shoulders were really bothering me at the end of the ride - I was more than ready to get off the bike at the end.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I ran into transition, took of my bike shoes, put on my socks and sneakers, grabbed my hat, and race number and started running. I got all the way to the exit and realized I didn't have my Garmin! So I had to run back and get it. I didn't realize I forgot to spray on more sunscreen - I ended up with a pretty bad sunburn on my back & shoulders.

Not forget my Garmin! Learn to leave my shoes on the bike.
Run
  • 2h 19m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was bad from the start. My plan for the run was to keep my HR in zone 2 until mile 7 and then go for it. But it was so hot!! It was about 90* when I got off the bike. My HR was in zone 3 for the first mile and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to go down. So, I decided to walk for a minute or two until my HR went down. As soon as I started running again, my stomach started to cramp and I became very nauseous. I struggled from that point on. I spent the rest of the time running until my stomach started to cramp and then I would slow to a walk again. I drank water at every aid station. I tried to get in some calories, but that always made my stomach feel worse (but I managed 1 gel and about 1/2 serving of my Infinit). I was glad I had carried something with me though. I was very disappointed with the water stations. There were just a couple of things I was counting on at the aid stations (flat coke, enduralytes, and cold towels). They didn't have any of those things!!

I didn't time my walking vs. running, but I walked at least half the time. I was definitely not the only person suffering though. Almost everyone was. Even with all of my walking, I still passed a lot of people (I even passed about 6 people in my age group).
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line, found my husband and as soon as I tried to talk to him my lungs seized and I had a really bad asthma attack. For a few seconds, I couldn't breath at all. Luckily, I did have my inhaler with me. So, I managed to calm down and get my breathing under control.

I had a lot of trouble getting in any calories after the race. I remained naseous for 6 hours after the race (and I had a headache for 9 hours after).

Event comments:

I went into this race hoping to break 6 hours. I am disappointed that I wasn't able to make that goal. I know I am capable of it - now I just need to do it!

Last updated: 2009-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:24 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/30
Overall: 92/166F
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Hydrofull
Course: Triangular course, starting at the left pier and finishing at the right pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:32 | 56 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/30
Overall: 80/166F
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 147 (I forgot to set my Garmin to record 5 mile intervals - so I only have the average data).
Wind: Some
Course: One loop course, around part of White Lake, down Hwy 210 and back on Hwy 53.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:19:13 | 13.1 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/30
Overall: 49/166F
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 - 9:04, AHR - 162, Mile 2 - 9:25, AHR 161, Mile 3 - 11:02, AHR 155, Mile 4 - 10:33, AHR 154, Mile 5 - 11:01, AHR - 150, Mile 6 - 11:03, AHR - 149, Mile 7 - 10:36, AHR - 154, Mile 8 - 11:52, AHR - 145, Mile 9 - 11:25, AHR - 142, Mile 10 - 10:46, AHR - 149, Mile 11 - 10:39, AHR - 154, Mile 12 - 10:23, AHR 158, Mile 13 - 10:01, AHR - 159
Course: An out and back course around the lake.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 5:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: White Lake Half II

2009-05-11 5:58 AM
in reply to: #2142426

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: RE: White Lake Half II

The last time I did the race the endurolytes were awesome to have on the course!! I would not be down on yourself too much......there are definitely signs of improvements and you know your run is better than today!!!

2009-05-11 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Nice job out there.  It was a brutal day.  That much heat this early in the season is really hard to take.  The absence of cold towels and running out of ice made for a very long day for a lot of people. 
2009-05-11 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Nice race in very tough conditions! I don't think there is any way to train for the heat, nice job toughing it out.
2009-05-11 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Nice race in very tough conditions. I think we were all hurting out there! I missed the cold towels too. I couldn't help but chuckle at how much easier things would have been if this race were on Sunday! I know it is hard to miss your goal time but I think the weather had more to do with that than anything you did...that sun and heat was brutal. Next time you will crush 6hrs. Those 15 mins will come easily if you chop 20 degrees off of the temperature! Good luck next time.
2009-05-11 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Carol - there were an awful lot of DNF's for both White Lake halfs. I wonder if there was something in the water, or just the wind and heat takes its toll. I still say you did great, and sounds like you played the bike just right. Better conditions next time for you to make that elusive sub 6 goal, I hope!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half II Rss Feed