United States
Set-up Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 34m 10s
Overall Rank = 199/699
Age Group = Master Novice
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

I stayed with my ECU college friends. They live by the lake in the Waterford S/D we ran through. Of course this was almost a bad idea as about 18 of us got together the night before and I had about 3 beers..it probably added 3/100 of a second to my time as it really was not going to help or hurt slow guys like me! But we need our carbs!

Up at 6, bagel PB and Banana, water and a Pepsi. Walked 1/2 mile to the Ta and set up and basically conversed.
Event warmup:

Stretched, rode the bike about 3 miles doing intervals, working gears, high cadence.
Swim
  • 22m 53s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first mass wave start with 44 people. Holy crap! I started at the middle front and oh yeah, I got ran over! Plus the water was very choppy with a headwind. As it turned out I was 6th on my category....felt like I was dead last. Swallowed lots of water but hydrated well so didn't need to drink much on the bike. I just could not get it going on the breathing, I felt labored and the water beat me around.
What would you do differently?:

Fight 20 pool ninjas to prepare! More OWS with people around me. More work on endurance swimming. Speed word. Technique.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Slow up the ladder. Again I ran behind a slower person and should have run past them on the Pier. When I came out I was a little dizzy also.

Focus on running past slower people in transition from the water.
Bike
  • 41m 30s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

From the start I kicked it and never got passed by one person and I estimate I passed 40-50 people. Given some were on Mountain Bikes and that's not fair but as far as racers, I passed ~ 30. I stayed in the big ring and 2-3 rings up from the low ring all the way. I did spin a couple times to get my legs flushed. I tried to keep cadence > 80 and sped > 21 MPH. I had to hit the brakes once when I was pasing as there were 3 abreast sohad to I pass way on the outside and had an option to challange an F350 Ford. I chose to hit the brakes and pull off, then had to restart momentum. Coming in they squeeze in the cones to about 5 feet and I got behind 2 Mountain Bikers for the last 150 yards and it slowed me as well.

More aero training, cadence training. I pretty much did as I expected. I just need to work on building more speed and endurance in lower gears.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

12th out of 699 in T2 time OH YEAH BABY When I unclipped, I ran hard and was out of shoes and into Ascis ASAP, leaving T2 I did walk to set my watch. Oh, and I learned from last race. I bought a cheap watch to simply tell me my time on the run and left the Polar on the bike.

Learn to get out of shoes on bike.....plus I walked 10 seconds in T2
Run
  • 26m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried I pushed to hard on the bike and would bonk on the run but in fact I did my best 5k race so far. It may have been because it was flat or the fact I did not take my Polar to tell me speed, time, distance, pace , etc. A simple watch and I just ran. I got passed 2 x and passed about 20 people but I am aware my run time is still slow compared to my Age Groupers that carry the top. But alas, I am getting faster and will be back at a sub 6 mile pace when I lose the last 35 pounds. My friends that live at Waterford were on their porches cheering me on, I think they were still drinking from the night before!

I just need to keep running and be faster. I could have pushed harder on the run and for some reason i just keep holding back. I am learning but I need to go all out and my mind holds me back. I just need to run more!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Met my wife and my friend Paul, AKA my film crew. Stretched and had some of those Red Beans and Rice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need to do multi sport training as this was my 3 Triathlon and I am working my butt off literally on all 3 events plus weights and core traing!

Event comments:

I loved, ablosulety loved, the fact everyone gave a standing ovation to the 80 + y/o gentleman who finisshed! I was humbled by his accomplishment and honered to be there with him! everyone stayed to see all the awards and that was great!

I finished 3rd and got a medal in Master Novice!!!! My First Hardware! Again, I was totally humbled and honored.

Last updated: 2009-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:53 | 820 yards | 02m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 217/699
Performance: Bad
Suit: 2XU
Course: Inverted Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:30 | 14 miles | 20.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 115/699
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat and somewhat good road with a few bumps along the way. 2 times around the lake for 14 miles but my Polar said 14.4 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:55 | 03.11 miles | 08m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 181/699
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back through Waterford
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: White Lake Sprint Triathlon II

2009-05-11 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2142559

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon II
Sounds like you had a fantastic race!  I had friends racing yesterday and they also commented on the choppy water.  Killer bike too.  But we've got to get rid of 10 seconds walking in T2 (I'm completely kidding!!)  Congratulations on the podium finish and keep kicking butt.  I hope to see you out on the roads around Apex and Jordan Lake. Look for the chick with the pink tires - you can't miss 'em!!!  
2009-05-11 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2142559

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon II
Nice race, way to podium! Open water takes some getting used to, but I'll bet that's not your last podium.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Sprint Triathlon II Rss Feed