General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Montclair Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-06-28 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2143328

User image

Subject: RE: Montclair Triathlon : Official Thread
Yea, the swim seemed a little long to me, but I still felt like I did well.  The bike was interesting...especially since you arn't supposed to draft.  There were a few times where I needed to pass, but someone much faster than me was also passing, so I had to slow up and let them double pass first (forcing me to draft a bit).  Kinda sucked, but overall it wasn't too bad.  Can't wait for them to post the results!!!

I know I did as well as I could've expected 'cause I almost puked after crossing the finish.  Gotta love this sport.

2009-06-28 6:59 PM

User image

New user

First triathlon for me, so I had no real time expectations.  Having said that, the swim was definitely slower than I anticipated.  Almost 5 minutes slower than my usual times in the pool.  But that could easily be a factor of nerves and open water, so I can't attribute it to longer distances.

The bike and run definitely went better than expected.  I don't think we could have asked for better weather.  A little chilly in the morning, and the clouds did a good job of keeping the sun from getting out.

I was also very impressed with the volunteers.  I thought they did a great job of keeping everyone hydrated and moving in the right direction.  They were also incredibly supportive - as were the Montclair locals, whose cheers I certainly appreciated as I was trudging through the second loop of the run.  I spoke with one of the EMTs afterward, and he said everyone made it through with only a few bumps and scratches along the way.

All in all, I have to say that my first tri could not have gone better.  Hopefully it will be the first of many, as I definitely have the bug!

Rish
2009-06-28 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2248792

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, Virginia
I actually did see somebody puking during the run, probably about 1 mile into it.  
2009-06-28 7:20 PM

User image

Regular

I did not see my times yet for each event. But I think I took my time on the swim and did pretty good on the bike and run. The swim was crazy, I stopped completely because I heard someone yelling HELP! HELP! I looked to my right about 500m in to the swim and to no avail and lifguard came to his rescue. I then proceeded on with my swim. The bike course was awesome, it did put some pain on my legs, the run was awesome as well and I felt good coming in to the 3rd mile. What matters is I finished.

Edited by tri-sbr 2009-06-28 7:20 PM
2009-06-28 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2248821

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
I saw someone go head over heels on the bike on the first loop when I was going the other way, but by the time I came around, he was back up and checking out his bike, so he must have been OK.
2009-06-28 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2248821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

smirgle - 2009-06-28 7:59 PM First triathlon for me, so I had no real time expectations.  Having said that, the swim was definitely slower than I anticipated.  Almost 5 minutes slower than my usual times in the pool.  But that could easily be a factor of nerves and open water, so I can't attribute it to longer distances.

The bike and run definitely went better than expected.  I don't think we could have asked for better weather.  A little chilly in the morning, and the clouds did a good job of keeping the sun from getting out.

I was also very impressed with the volunteers.  I thought they did a great job of keeping everyone hydrated and moving in the right direction.  They were also incredibly supportive - as were the Montclair locals, whose cheers I certainly appreciated as I was trudging through the second loop of the run.  I spoke with one of the EMTs afterward, and he said everyone made it through with only a few bumps and scratches along the way.

All in all, I have to say that my first tri could not have gone better.  Hopefully it will be the first of many, as I definitely have the bug!

Rish

Congratulations on your first tri!  Don't worry, all races don't have a 2 mile walk/bike to get to the start from parking. :-) That's pretty unusual.

It's pretty normal to swim way off course in your first tri, no matter how many people tell you to work on your sighting.  Another thing that is normal to have no matter how many people tell you, is to have awful transition times.  You can work on these for your next tri.  Just remember, faster transitions == free time!!

2009-06-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2248745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

brownnugen - 2009-06-28 7:22 PM

Yeah, that sounds really familiar, I got swam over a lot today.  But nobody said hi 
 to me    Cry
I'd like to tell myself that I was swimming around to make sure everyone was safe, but swimming is just plain bad.

That's good that you are immune to letting it bother you that you might get swam over, as some people might freak out.

Have you heard of the Total Immersion book and video?  It is really good stuff, helped my swimming a lot.

2009-06-28 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Today was definitely a lot of fun!  Although, I was probably one of those "pin-pall" style swimmers out there running into people for lack of navigation skills.  Sorry to any of you that I ran into!

I was feeling really good about my bike pace - probably my best so far, but now I am starting to wonder how much of that might be due to the fact that it was completely impossible to avoid drafting some of the time.  Hmmmm.  I guess at least we all had to deal with the same challenges.

I can't wait to see the results because I have no idea what my run pace was.
2009-06-29 9:36 AM

User image

New user

Washington, DC
I feel like I had a good bike ride and a greart run but that I had to use them to make up for a really bad swim. It felt OK at the time but it was my first ever non-wetsuit swim in open water and I had no idea how much the wet suit helped my speed.

When are they going to post-the results - the waiting is driving me nuts!
2009-06-29 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

For other events this year it appears they've been consistent with posting them the same day.  Must not be too much longer.  I'm interesting in seeing the swimming stats.  Maybe they are still walking all the gear back up to their cars in that 2 mile walk. ;-)

2009-06-29 12:40 PM

User image

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Montclair Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2