View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Braunfels, Texas
United States
Total Time = 49m 33s
Overall Rank = 2/765
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at just past 4:00am and had a bagle. Grabbed my stuff and started the drive down to New Braunfels. No traffic so actually got there a little early. Darn, could've had 10 more minutes of sleep. :-)
Event warmup:

Got transition all set up and went for a short run down the run course just to get loose. Came back to transition and grabbed my swim stuff and went for a warm up swim. I did the usual 2 swim warmup. Went out almost to the turnaround and came back. Took a few minute break on the shore and went back in for another short swim. I was ready to go.
Swim
  • 06m
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have no idea what my actual swim time is because my chip didn't pick me up coming out of the water. My swim and T1 are combined so I'm just guessing on the time as I was one of the top 10 out of the water in my age group.

I started the swim right up front. I'm not the strongest swimmer but it's sure come a long way. I had no problem stay in front and then got passed by a few people after the turnaround. All was going pretty good until 25m left when I ran into a pile of peple from waves before us that were not moving. I feel bad for the one guy that was backstroking into T1 after I pretty much pushed him down with one of my strokes. I lost some time here trying to get around everyone but it was a good, short swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Once again I'm totally guessing on this time. I just need swim and T1 to come to 7:14. The swim must've been a little long because I was in and out of transition really fast.

Grabbed my helmet and glasses and I was off. Shoes were on the bike so looking at other T1 times I couldn't have been more than 1:14 which means there's no way I swam that slow.

This was also the first race I had my shoes on the bike and I'm not sure it was faster. I had a hard time getting my feet in my shoes once on the bike course and a couple people passed me as I was slipping them on. I did pass them all again going up the hill.
Bike
  • 28m 52s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 23.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I pretty much hammered it on the bike. I knew the last couple miles were downhhill into T2 so I just pushed the hills and recovered well on the downhills. Passed a lot of people and was going to make sure nobody passed me. :-)

Pretty happy with this bike because I haven't really been working on a lot of speed since coming back from injury.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Pulled feet out of shoes and got to T2. Slipped my shoes on and I was ready to go. It was still a little cloudy so left my sunglasses and hat in T2 and just took off.
Run
  • 12m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I figured it was only 2 miles so I'd see what I had. From now on I will always tell myself that no matter how much it hurts there's no way it will hurt as much as it did after mile 8 of IMFL with an injury. I just took a cup of water at the turn and threw it over my head to cool off. No real reason to get fluids on this short run just to have them slosh around in my stomach.

Again, not much speedwork since coming back so I'm happy with this pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Just hung out with everyone. It's always fun to do the local races and see everyone.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm happy with the race considering I have't done much speed work. It's been a couple years since I've done this race and I cut almost 5 minutes off from the last time I did it. I guess there's something to be said for building a bigger base as the years go on.

Event comments:

As always, Jack and Adams puts on a GREAT race!

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:00 | 328 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/765
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:52 | 11.1 miles | 23.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:12:31 | 02 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: The Rookie Triathlon

2009-05-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2144151

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: The Rookie Triathlon
Great job out there yesterday!!! Solid race all around. Nice strong bike split, and great run split as well. It was nice to meet you out there, good luck with your upcoming races, I am sure we will run into one another again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Rookie Triathlon Rss Feed