South Suburban Parks and Recreation
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 4/207
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/30
Pre-race routine:

Worked the night before and got about 5 hours of sleep. Up at 6 am and had a Clif bar and banana. Drove to the race and registered.
Event warmup:

1/2 mile warmup and easy stretching.
Run
  • 42m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out in the front row as no one else seemed to move up. There were two fast looking 20 somethings and sure enough, they battled the whole race and I only saw them at turnarounds. Moved up to fourth place at around the 1 mile mark and made the mistake of letting 3rd place go. Maintained a fairly steady pace and tried not to look at the Garmin too much. At Mile 3, there was a good hill and I used it to drop 5th place but I definitely felt it afterwards and took a bit to recover. Pace dropped here to 7:00/mile. At the final turnaround, I timed third place at 27 seconds ahead of me with about 1.5 miles to go. I really wanted to get this guy and picked up the pace as best I could and kept inching closer. At 5.8 miles I suddenly felt like I might puke so I backed off a bit. He beat me by 7 seconds in the end and seemed impressed by the ground I had made up. I was more impressed that he was 48 years old.

Nearly bagged the race because of moderate training and lack of sleep but really needed a motivator so I did it anyway. Don't have a really good indicator of my current level of fitness so I think I ran a little conservative.
What would you do differently?:

Should have stayed with 3rd place from the onset.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a little water and jogged about 1/2 mile to the car. Then drove out of the main parking lot to avoid getting trapped by the 5k start and stopped in another lot to stretch for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inconsistent training over the past month. Was in great fitness back in January for my half marathon and ran a pretty good 5k a month ago but training has been down since then. And when training goes down, confidence goes down. But I kept telling myself not to sell myself short and that I was still in relatively good shape...

Event comments:

Only water on the course, which is probably ok but sports drink would have been nice. Plenty of water stations. Can't really rate the post activities as I was there by myself and left quickly afterwards. But looked like lots of kid's stuff to keep the family entertained. However, I did have to hunt for the little jug of water afterwards and there was no food or sports drink.

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:58 | 06.21 miles | 06m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/30
Overall: 4/207
Performance: Average
Mile 1 (6:53); Mile 2 (6:58); Mile 3 (6:51); Mile 4 (7:03); Mile 5 (7:01); Mile 6 (6:44)
Course: Mostly on the Highline Canal with three different out and back segments. Flat except for a decent hill at the halfway point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: South Suburban Highline Canal Run

2009-05-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #2144240

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: South Suburban Highline Canal Run

Well Done!  Those old guys are fast huh!  Looks like you can only get faster from there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Suburban Highline Canal Run Rss Feed