Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
Total Time = 1h 49m
Overall Rank = 298/
Age Group = newbie :)
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

been battling a cold all week, sudafed i took the night before kept me wide awake ALL night, fantastic. 4:30am had a glass of Emergen-C, a protein shake and a banana muffin. grabbed an ice coffee at 6am just before getting to race site.
Event warmup:

consisted of jumping up and down on the beach and posing for photographs in my new wetsuit, which is now the most expensive outfit I own and I plan to wear it to every party this year.
Swim
  • 6h 38m
  • 200 yards
  • 3h 19m / 100 yards
Comments:

I liken the swim to being in a food processor. I could have hung back and avoided the mess, but I was surprisingly calm as i got kicked punched and whacked around in the water for 6 minutes. I really don't think i did much real swimming though and everytime i tried to breath I would get smashed by a wave or a foot and ended up swallowing half the reservoir. On the plus side I figured I was really hydrated now....
What would you do differently?:

? warm up swim if it weren't so cold and so much waiting. also try to be in the front of the swim wave start to try and avoid getting whacked around so much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

i stepped aside on the run back to T1 and stripped my wetsuit off- was a great idea to avoid the hoopla in transition. rubbed the dirt off my feet shoved my shoes on and then i think i spent the rest of the time trying to get my damn bike gloves on. no idea why i planned to wear them other than habit.

lose the darn gloves!
Bike
  • 1h 03m
  • 15.3 miles
  • 14.57 mile/hr
Comments:

I shaved 6 minutes off my most recent training ride on this course, nice! I really like this course, nice up and down hills and the one big up and huge down by the marathon start. Could barely get to 34mph going down the big hill though, grrrrr stupid wind! (hit about 40mph last week.) Loved all the nice comments from people as they passed me going up the hills though- I wore a nice mother's day shirt :) I drank most of my water bottle and that would be it for water/food till after the race.

have the body of an olympian? failing that i suppose some hill work would help :) I'm really good going downhill though!
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Almost forgot to take my helmet off! everything went smooth here, was surprised about my jello legs though- i took a few seconds to stretch them out and the jog out of transition felt extra funny.
Run
  • 35h 13m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11h 21m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

what can i say? i hate running, right foot left foot, repeat! About a mile in and I started to feel pretty stable but I am pretty sure I didn't pass anyone!
Post race
Warm down:

i was so psyched when i finished i was jumping up and down for like ten minutes after! i wish i had that energy on the bike! drank the gatorade stuff they were handing out, but the food they wre giving away either ran out or they packed up as i finished b/c there was nothing left :( i don't think i could have eaten though. was on cloud 9 from actually just finishing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

thanksgiving dinner, xmas dinner, new years drinks, valentines chocolates, birthday booze and everything in between :)

Event comments:

:)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
06:38:00 | 200 yards | 3h 19m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: 2xu, full suit
Course: the original horshoe shape swim was shortened into an out and back, from what I could see it was because one of the bouys blew away.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:00 | 15.3 miles | 14.57 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
35:13:00 | 03.1 miles | 11h 21m 37s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: it was neat to be going in and out of the roads on the park and passing back and forth by the other racers and the bikers finishing up- i enjoyed cheering for the final finishers while i was on course :)
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-11 11:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Subject: New England Season Opener

2009-05-12 6:24 AM
in reply to: #2144924

Subject: RE: New England Season Opener
Great race! I did the same thing after the swim - stepping to the side to get the wetsuit off.  It seemed to work out ok.  Maybe that added to the swim time though! I can't remember, but I think the timing mat was at the end of the path right before T1.
2009-05-12 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2144924

Uxbridge
Congrats on a great race!!!!!
2009-05-12 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2145038

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
yeah i think it added about 10 sec to my swim time- my friend got out of the water at the same time as me, but her swim time was a few seconds faster, but then we left T1 at the same time.  I was just worried I was going to topple over in the Transition area and the lure of those nice stable picnic benches was hard to resist!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Rss Feed