Spotsylvania, Virginia
United States
Set-Up, Inc
Total Time = 5h 11m 40s
Overall Rank = 51/283
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/39
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race site, and had a powerbar about an hour before start time. Setup my transition area and then wandered down to the beach, and put on my wetsuit down there.
Event warmup:

Stretched my arms a little bit while waiting on the beach.
Swim
  • 30m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the swim. This was my first time using a wetsuit in a race, and it chaffed the back of my neck pretty badly. Next time I'll know to buy some body glide and put it on my neck.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

We had to run down a gravel road from the transition area to the bike start, so I put my shoes on in T1 rather than having them clipped on the bike. When I put on my Garmin, I realized I had forgotten to turn it on before the race started, so it didn't finish picking up the satellites until I was out on the road. Then, it also wasn't set for auto multisport. At first, I figured I'd just wait and start it on the run, but then I went ahead and turned on the auto multisport and started it. By the time I decided to do that, I had already ridden 3 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Remember to turn on the Garmin and get it set up before the race.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I wasn't sure how to pace myself, since this was my first HIM. There were a few times that I got passed, where I would normally have passed them back after a minute or two, but this time I just let them go.

I should have pushed the bike a little harder. I had a little bit too much left over at the end of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

I accidentally ran past my row, so I had to turn around and backtrack a little. Then, I had trouble racking my bike, because of my aero water bottle was in the way. I also decided to put on socks, which I don't normally wear. But, I figured this race was long enough, I better go ahead and wear them.

Figure out how to rack the bike better, with the water bottle in the way.
Run
  • 1h 48m 11s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Most of the morning it was overcast, but the sun came out during my second lap of the run, and it was really hot. When the race started, it was 96% humidity but cool, but by the time it ended, it was over 80 degrees. I had a good pace on the first 4 miles of the first lap, and then I decided to slow it down a little on the second lap, and my plan was to pick it back up on the third lap, but unfortunately the heat really slowed me down. I didn't pick it up again until the final mile.

Maybe I should have kept up the intensity on the second and third lap, but it would have been hard with the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit, and then got in the lake to cool off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat on the run, and my inexperience knowing how to pace myself for this distance.

Event comments:

I thought this went really well for my first HIM. I enjoyed it, and had a good race.

Last updated: 2009-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/39
Overall: 45/283
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Endorphin
Course: Rectangular course. 2 laps, with a short run on the beach between laps.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:48:35 | 56 miles | 19.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/39
Overall: 73/283
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: This course was two laps, and we crossed over the lake at several different points. Most of the course was pretty good pavement, but there was one section that was rough pavement with some potholes. There was one point on the course where we had to make a right turn and do a little half mile out and back to make up some extra mileage. They didn't have a volunteer telling us to turn, so I went past it, but thankfully I saw another racer coming from that direction, so I slammed on my brakes and had to turn around and go back that way.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:48
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:11 | 13.1 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/39
Overall: 48/283
Performance: Good
Mile Splits 7:49 7:31 7:58 7:59 8:33 8:00 8:11 8:11 8:15 8:56 8:12 9:09 7:49
Course: 3 laps, all on pavement. The last half mile or so of each lap was in the woods, but the rest was all in the open.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-12 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Kinetic Half

2009-05-13 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2145124

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Kinetic Half
Great job - especially since that was your first HIM!  You should definitely be proud of that.

It was probably the right decision to ease off the pace.  You might have struggled more in that heat and ended up worse off.

Congrats!Cool
2009-05-20 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Wow! Congrats on your HIM finish--you did great--now you know what to shoot for when you do your next one. Isn't the first one just to get introduced to it, and from there on you can race??  Fabulous, I am very proud of you.  So when's the IM?? 

2010-05-09 7:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice race! And regarding the bike pacing. You should feel like you left some on the bike. 13.1 miles is a long time to realize you pushed too hard!!!

You probabaly had 'some' speed in the second half of the run but it is so hard to tap into that. You will dial it in better next time.

Regarding bike pacing - it is easy to go to hard and you will not get that time back. I'm still working on the efforts myself (i have only doen 2 1/2 IM).

An observation on heart rate from my blog:

http://hubcitytri.blogspot.com/2010/05/heart-rate-recovery-you-dont...
2010-05-09 4:32 PM

User image

Subject: How did you find out your place and splits in the Kinetic Half
I don't see them posted on Setup
2010-05-09 4:52 PM

User image

Expert
NoVA
Great job on a tough day!!!  That's a great first HIM---you definitely did the bike "right"---you have to stay within yourself and let people go (and as mentioned above have "something" left at the end---the old saying of you have 13.1 miles to make-up for going too easy on the bike or 13.1 miles to walk if you overcook the bike).  As for the run you also did the right thing backing off a bit (as was already mentioned) especially on this three loop course--the first lap is "easy" and you get lulled to thinking I've got this and can hold this pace only to end up walking from mile 6 or 7 till the end (don't underestimate this run course OR the heat for an early season race!!!). 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Half Rss Feed